• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

We still have $13 million to work with

Re-sign Eaves ($1.5-2 million a year possibly) and our forwards are set

Get a couple of D-Men, Wiz ($5 million a year maybe) and a 3rd pair D-Man (possibly between $1-2 million) and our back end is set

Get a Backup goalie (1 million)

When looking at what we were gonna spend, the Ericsson deal is not that bad. Is he worth 3.25 million in a solid FA Market? No... But in this market, I really believe someone desperate for a D-Man would have offered him 4 million a year.

Keep working Kenny!

Edited by HockeytownRules19

Then Holland should have signed him earlier in the season at $2-2.5 mill and not let it get to the 11th hour when his value was artificially inflated.

That's why players have agents. I'm sure Ericsson's agent told him to wait until the end of the year to sign, and he'd make more money.

Trust me, give it 2 weeks, and this will look like a good deal.

This makes Jimmy Howard's contract at $2 mill/yr look like the bargain of the year!

Holy moly, I wish we could see live footage of him hearing/seeing it for the first time. Can you imagine the feeling, Howard of anyone felt Big Rigs mistakes...I am not going to get bent of out shape over this siging, I ******* loved Ericsson a couple years ago and damn it I can love him again so in Kenny i trust and we shall see what happens this season because we will all be watching and Babs will be watching! He thinks he's felt a little pressure to impress at times, how about with this contaract?! He's going to shine (which Im hoping) or he's going to blow...

Edited by 13dangledangle

Hey Red Wing Brethren,

I am a lifelong diehard Wings fan (since Gordie's days) stranded here on the island of Manhattan, surrounded by Ranger, Isles, and Devils yahoos, and this is my very first post on this incredible forum that I have been reading for a few years now. I do want to thank you all for the Red Wings lifeline that kept my hockey spirits alive for many years now.

I also agree that the stated terms are absolutely awful for Ericsson's 3 year deal, as like many of you, I am not at all enamored with his game. On the other hand, I would love it if this was a prelude to a possible sign & trade for someone far more suited long term to the excellent Wings standard of play - someone we can build with, along with Kronner and Stuie when (God forbid) Lids hangs them up. We used to hear a lot of midseason rumblings about Holland's interest in Zach Bogosian, so I am thinking that there must be other young, more highly skilled and gritty d-men on Kenny's radar in the 1 to 4 status range that might be available for reasons that we as fans are not privy to (friction with coach, needs change of scenery for motivation, etc.). Could this be Kenny laying the foundation for a trade, possibly shipping out Big Rig and Huds (or Flip) and getting someone like ZB? Any thoughts?

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic

We still have $13 million to work with

Re-sign Eaves ($1.5-2 million a year possibly) and our forwards are set

Get a couple of D-Men, Wiz ($5 million a year maybe) and a 3rd pair D-Man (possibly between $1-2 million) and our back end is set

Get a Backup goalie (1 million)

When looking at what we were gonna spend, the Ericsson deal is not that bad. Is he worth 3.25 million in a solid FA Market? No... But in this market, I really believe someone desperate for a D-Man would have offered him 4 million a year.

Keep working Kenny!

Yea only problem with blowing a lot of it this year is that

A. We are going to need a new #1 D-Man most likely next year

2. Stew and Kronwall are going to need new contracts.

3. The Cap Could Go down Next Year

4. Abdalkader and Helm is a RFA.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan

Yea only problem with blowing a lot of it this year is that

A. We are going to need a new #1 D-Man most likely next year

2. Stew and Howard are going to need new contracts.

3. It Could Go down Next Year

4. Abdalkader is a RFA.

I understand all your points but one thing... Jimmy is already signed for the next 2 years not just this year (but i think you already knew that)

Also I don't think abby will cost much, also remember after this year; holmstrom, bertuzzi and hudler will all become UFAs

Edited by HockeytownRules19

I understand all your points but one thing... Jimmy is already signed for the next 2 years not just this year (but i think you already knew that)

Also I don't think abby will cost much, also remember after this year; holmstrom, bertuzzi and hudler will all become UFAs

Yes I did realize that. For some reason I thought he was up at the end of the year. I stand corrected. I forgot about Hudler, Bert and Holmstrom. I am just stating that I am kind of worried about all the overspending in a way.

Hey Red Wing Brethren,

I am a lifelong diehard Wings fan (since Gordie's days) stranded here on the island of Manhattan, surrounded by Ranger, Isles, and Devils yahoos, and this is my very first post on this incredible forum that I have been reading for a few years now. I do want to thank you all for the Red Wings lifeline that kept my hockey spirits alive for many years now.

I also agree that the stated terms are absolutely awful for Ericsson's 3 year deal, as like many of you, I am not at all enamored with his game. On the other hand, I would love it if this was a prelude to a possible sign & trade for someone far more suited long term to the excellent Wings standard of play - someone we can build with, along with Kronner and Stuie when (God forbid) Lids hangs them up. We used to hear a lot of midseason rumblings about Holland's interest in Zach Bogosian, so I am thinking that there must be other young, more highly skilled and gritty d-men on Kenny's radar in the 1 to 4 status range that might be available for reasons that we as fans are not privy to (friction with coach, needs change of scenery for motivation, etc.). Could this be Kenny laying the foundation for a trade, possibly shipping out Big Rig and Huds (or Flip) and getting someone like ZB? Any thoughts?

hey, i am usually a read only person as well. do i think a gm could see a huge upside in ericsson, and that he never had the room to grow and develop on a crowded wings roster? yes yes. however, don't sign and trades usually get announced basically together? so unless a trade announcement comes out tomorrow, i'd say no.

if ericsson argued he was going to step it up and be the player we want/need him to be, i don't understand why not sign him to the 2-2.5 mil with bonuses...

Edited by Wings Fan in Aves Country

That's why players have agents. I'm sure Ericsson's agent told him to wait until the end of the year to sign, and he'd make more money.

Trust me, give it 2 weeks, and this will look like a good deal.

No way.

And I'm not even one of the Holland-bashing, superstar-free-agent-signing (in my armchair) types. This has got bad deal written all over it for this organization. Again, I've historically been a Holland supporter and have rarely if ever outright bashed him, but this is as bad of a deal as he's ever made.

Literally for the very first time I am starting to wonder if Holland is slipping as a GM for this club. He's obviously a smart guy who has had a ton of success, but perhaps he's getting to a point where the history is clouding up his decision making somewhat.

This is just a flat-out bad deal unless Ericsson turns up his game a whole lot. He hasn't been able to do so since his initial break with the team, but I've never put much stock in the GR kids performances when they're just up here filling in. The pressure they face as fill-ins is profoundly different than the pressure they face being up here every day and being a part of the machine that's expected to perform a certain way. Ericsson has struggled a great deal with consistency and his mental game is a total mess. I'm not saying he's a horrible player and doesn't deserve a chance, but for $3.25 million?!?

How utterly flabbergasted must Jimmy Howard be right now?

The guy created his own fair share of problems leading to his struggles this past regular season, but he also had a lot of help from the likes of Ericsson. Meanwhile, Howard signs a 2-year deal for $2.25 million after a Calder-quality rookie year, some playoff struggles and some regular season struggles. He follows it up with an outstanding playoff performance.

Then Big E who's struggled basically his entire NHL career since arriving as a regular on the team signs a 3 year deal making a million more bucks a year!?!?

Howard's a team guy; he's not about to make it an issue, but you better believe that this pisses him right off.

Yes I did realize that. For some reason I thought he was up at the end of the year. I stand corrected. I forgot about Hudler, Bert and Holmstrom. I am just stating that I am kind of worried about all the overspending in a way.

I agree with you, do i think we overspent on Ericsson...yes...but to field a competitive championship-caliber team THIS YEAR we might have to overpay for some defensemen free agents since we have so many openings back there.

I might be the only one but I believe Ericsson can still become a very good defenseman with the right coaching.

Just wait and see what the other UFA's defencemen get, and this will look like a good deal. I guarantee they'll all make more than Ericsson, and for a longer term. They'll start at 4 Million a year minimum and for 5 years minimum.

Give it a couple weeks, and it'll look ok.

Edit: Remember what Jeff Finger got a few years ago? It'll be the same thing with these guys. With that in mind, I'll take Ericsson at 3 years.

I'm fairly certain you're correct, E's number will be smaller than most dman signings. I can pretty much assure you that most of those players signed will either be very good at one part of the game or decent at an all around game. Niether game can Ericsson boast, dude doesn't do anything good. His defence is bad, his physical play is limited and nowhere near what it could be, and he ain't puttin' points on the board. Man I miss Jiri Fischer, E probably wouldn't exist if we still had him.

Edited by achildr1

Guest Heaten

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have plenty of cap space to afford it, and lots of $$ cash left to improve the team. (No Kenny isn't getting Richards, never was)

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

Knowing this, Holland probably said:

"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson, do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet my expectations, right?"

Ericsson - "Yes Mr. Holland, I understand!"

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

Edited by Heaten

I'm really questioning Ken Holland on this one. This is a terrible cap hit for a guy who doesn't deserve a cent over $2 million. I understand that the market is thin, but I'd rather just sign a plug for less than keep this hack another year.

Can't score, can't use his size appropriately, plays poor defensively... how in the hell do you justify $3 million?!?

Ken had better do something positive after this, otherwise my confidence in him being a good GM is going to be shattered.

And no, this is not an overreaction.

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have the cap space to afford it.

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson,do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet the potential, right?"

Ericsson - "Yes, lets do this!"

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

OMG a knowledgeable poster at LGW... I'm Shocked :yowza: lol

“The cap world is about finding players that play beyond what you pay them.”

That's a direct quote from Holland. Either A) he is going against his own beliefs or B) some kind of sign and trade is in the works (we can only pray it's B).

I know Ericsson is still has potential and it's a weak FA market, but $3.25 million is way beyond what he's worth (I would say $2.5 million MAX and even that's pushing it). Let's just hope Kenny knows what he's doing on this one or has something up his sleeve.

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have plenty of cap space to afford it, and lots of $$ cash left to improve the team. (No Kenny isn't getting Richards, never was)

"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson, do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet my expectations, right?"

I still fail to see how this is a good signing. There might not be any good free agents this year to spend money on, but what about the next 3 years? Im sure we would love to have the cap space we blew on Ericsson back, and you say its not hurting us...

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It

sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not

improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset

management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

Oh yea, cause if Ericsson s***s the bed, GMs all over the league will be fighting to trade for him at a 3.25 mil cap hit.

I am beyond dismayed with this signing. I am not going to throw out insults towards Kenny Holland, other to say that what he did here is beyond awful. I know and love what Kenny has done for this team in the past, but I cannot help think that some of his shine is gone.

Now I want to be clear that I am not taking away any of the amazing things he has done in the past, he helped shaped championship teams, and I will forever as a fan be thankful for that. That said, he has not done much recently, not much at all.

How many times did we hear "Player X was out deadline deal", or signing "Player Y" was out free agency move. And ya know what, I was fine with it. But then the time comes where he has a boatload of money, clear necessities, and what does he do? Pay a 27 year old, third pairing defensemen for close to 10 million dollars over three years.

I am not so sure how the team will be next year. I know some folks refuse to believe Holland can do wrong, however I am not one of them. We have not improved a lick, in fact, as of right now we have regressed in overall, top to bottom skill. Now unless Kenny pulls an absolute blockbuster tomorrow, and we are talking something huge, then it will be impossible to make a valid argument that he did anything other then sit on the sidelines during the first free agency the Wings had ample amounts of money to play around with.

One other thing -- I am so sick and tired of hearing "we are not overpaying" from the Wings brass. As a general rule, yes, it is good to not overpay, but with the cap increase and the pieces needed, a GM should pay what he has to (within reason) to get the best talent into the organization, not waste it on a turnover machine, who is 27, and average at best.

Below is my wish list - it is my little hope of turning an absolute calamity (the past couple of weeks, players we wanted signing elsewhere, sitting on the sidelines, etc.) into something that can make us better:

• Zenon Konopka
  • James Wisniewski
  • Sean Bergenheim
  • Andy Greene
  • Patrick Eaves
  • Trade Hudler for best draft picks we can get

I know all of these won't happen (even though I believe Eaves has resigned - not sure though), but I think these are guys we should and I am sure are targeting. I just really, really, hope we sign Wiz.

Guest Heaten

I still fail to see how this is a good signing. There might not be any good free agents this year to spend money on, but what about the next 3 years? Im sure we would love to have the cap space we blew on Ericsson back, and you say its not hurting us...

Ericsson would have easily had money trucks lining up at his door tomorrow at noon from a bunch of teams looking for D. Easily $3.75+ per year in this market. Ericsson now has trade value because he took a discount has a decent term @ 3years.

Holland can still afford to pay Wiz $5.5 + Eaves $1.5 + Jagr $2.0 (don't want him) and a backup goalie at $1.0. How much cap is left over? $3+ million?

Holland has more $$ than he needs, Ericsson is an asset, he can be traded for a return. That's called asset management.

Oh yea, cause if Ericsson s***s the bed, GMs all over the league will be fighting to trade for him at a 3.25 mil cap hit.

Young(er) 27, big (6',6") with a heavy shot from the point? You bet your ass there are GMs out there that would trade for him. Islanders/Leafs/Sens etc...

Ericsson is a bone head, but he's not as bad as people think. The thing is, this is the Nu:Cap and fans (LGWs) have not yet adjusted. His contract will look like a steal in a few months.

Edited by Heaten

Ericsson would have easily had money trucks lining up at his door tomorrow at noon from a bunch of teams looking for D. Easily $3.75+ per year in this market. Ericsson now has trade value because he took a discount has a decent term @ 3years.

Holland can still afford to pay Wiz $5.5 + Eaves $1.5 + Jagr $2.0 (don't want him) and a backup goalie at $1.0. How much cap is left over? $3+ million?

Holland has more $$$ than he needs, Ericsson is an asset, he can be traded for a return. That's called asset management.

Unless this is a sign and trade, I don't see how his value increases for a trade. If he gets better no way hes traded, if he sucks, no one will want him. This is purely a gamble on Holland's end because if he take the next step you're right, hes a great pick up at that price, if he stays where hes at or regresses, he will replace Hudler in everyone's dog house.

Edited by Shaman464

Guest Heaten

Unless this is a sign and trade, I don't see how his value increases for a trade. This is purely a gamble on Holland's end because if he take the next step you're right, hes a great pick up at that price, if he stays where hes at or regresses, he will replace Hudler in everyone's dog house.

No. I mean if he progresses, Holland probably told him he'll stay. If he doesn't progress (stays the same), he'll be traded. Ericsson as-is, has trade value in this market. I don't see Ericsson regressing unless he gets a fluke injury that hampers him.