• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

No idea. Thus the "lesser known" part of the equation. There are hundreds of defensemen in the league, are there not? THere's got to be someone out there who will play for 1.8, take penalties, hardly score and make bad defensive decisions.

There isn't.

He doesn't exist. If he did, Ericsson would not have gotten what he did.

Guest Heaten

Datsyuk and Kronwall both had done more to earn their pay day.

[/snip]

Lol. Datsyuk was known as a playoff bust and Kenny Holland re-signed him to that 7 year deal when the salary cap was really low. Kronwall didn't show his worth in his cap area either. Lots of angry LGWs fans. Similar to now... nothing's changed around here.

Ericsson has shown he has great potential. He's had some very solid games and Babcock and Holland (Holland with the best scouting staff in the game) believe in him. I guess LGWs has more hockey intelligence than DRWs brass?

There isn't.

:thumbup:

Meanwhile, I love some of the recent "minuses" in this thread. No serious rebuttal or points to be made to logical questions or fact-based statements. Just the big ol' minus. Got yer toys collected? I'd hate to think you'd lose any going home. Yeeeeeeeeeahhhh......:hehe:

Edited by Vladifan

This is the best signing so far in my honest opnion I know he's had his ups and downs since being here in Detroit but with him being so young I can see him improving and continuing to get better so I am glad to have him back because I believe he will be a better player in the long run.

There isn't.

Holland signed Ericsson because he still hopes for potential. There ARE tons of cheap defensemen who bring what Ericsson does or more. He just signed Commodore for what Ericsson should have been paid. Boom. ;)

Edited by VM1138

Holland signed Ericsson because he still hopes for potential. There ARE tons of cheap defensemen who bring what Ericsson does or more. He just signed Commodore for what Ericsson should have been paid. Boom. ;)

Boom?

Holland signed Commodore to replace Salei. He's an overpaid bottom pairing defenseman that Columbus wanted to get rid of. They'll still be paying half his salary and the Wings get him on the cheap for a year so they take a chance on a guy with some issues.

If Holland hadn't signed Ericsson, he'd still have a 19 minute hole in his lineup and be missing a #4/5 guy. You don't get that for $1 million.

Waiting around and trying to fit some deal into your vague prediction doesn't somehow make you right.

Boom?

Holland signed Commodore to replace Salei. He's an overpaid bottom pairing defenseman that Columbus wanted to get rid of. They'll still be paying half his salary and the Wings get him on the cheap for a year so they take a chance on a guy with some issues.

If Holland hadn't signed Ericsson, he'd still have a 19 minute hole in his lineup and be missing a #4/5 guy. You don't get that for $1 million.

Waiting around and trying to fit some deal into your vague prediction doesn't somehow make you right.

But that was my point. Crappy defensemen are a dime a dozen and I was told I was wrong. That there was no one else out there in the league who could do what Ericsson does for cheaper.

My take on this is that Ericsson was signed with the full intent of putting him on the trade block.

There are still a list of teams who need to spend to reach the cap floor. There isn't a lot left out there to spend on, and no way is Richards going to a bad team.

Thus someone could step up and try to get Ericsson.

But that was my point. Crappy defensemen are a dime a dozen and I was told I was wrong. That there was no one else out there in the league who could do what Ericsson does for cheaper.

Commodore doesn't prove your point. He's a defensive defenseman taking the 6th/7th spot. Like it or not, with Rafalski gone, Ericsson is one of the Wings best puck moving defenseman behind Lids and Kronwall.

Maybe Kenny has someting up his sleeve regarding Ericsson. A sign and trade? Ah Kenny doesn't make trades. I'll come back to reality now.

Lol I only wish he did

Commodore doesn't prove your point. He's a defensive defenseman taking the 6th/7th spot. Like it or not, with Rafalski gone, Ericsson is one of the Wings best puck moving defenseman behind Lids and Kronwall.

Stuart also

Uh-oh, guys. Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/mike_commodore_jumps_at_chance.html

Babcock: "If he’s (Commodore) paired with (young) Jakub Kindl, he’ll help him."

That makes...

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Ericsson

Kindl-Commodore

Could our worst nightmare be true? Was Ericsson, indeed, Rafalski's replacement?

Edited by VM1138

Lol. Datsyuk was known as a playoff bust and Kenny Holland re-signed him to that 7 year deal when the salary cap was really low. Kronwall didn't show his worth in his cap area either. Lots of angry LGWs fans. Similar to now... nothing's changed around here.

Ericsson has shown he has great potential. He's had some very solid games and Babcock and Holland (Holland with the best scouting staff in the game) believe in him. I guess LGWs has more hockey intelligence than DRWs brass?

I love comments like this. I suppose the J Williams and Modano signings were brilliant moves as well? Because pretty sure most Wings fans were pissed about both them, but Holland and Co. are all knowing..... It is ok to think for yourself on here...

This defense is going to be hilarious to watch this year. Did we address any actual needs other than resigning Lidstrom?

Edited by ben_usmc

Uh-oh, guys. Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/mike_commodore_jumps_at_chance.html

That makes...

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Ericsson

Kindl-Commodore

Could our worst nightmare be true? Was Ericsson, indeed, Rafalski's replacement?

Looks more like Kronwall replaced him to me.

I'm still trying to make sense of this contract so I'll re-post here what I wrote in the Wiz thread (since this is probably the better place to put it anyway):

Look at what everyone got this week. Ehrhoff, the playoff's worst +/- (-13), is going to make more money next season than Crosby.

Leino, Laich and Fleischmann are signed to a cap hit of 4.5 million over the next 4-6 years. :scared:

Jovocop had 14pts in 50 games last season... He's 35 years old and the Panthers signed him to a 4 year contract with a 4.125 million cap hit.

Brewer was very solid for the Lightning in the playoffs he actually had a significant drop in offensive production after they got him from St. Louis (2pts in his 22 games with TB compared to 14 in 54 games in St. Louis). But did he deserve 3.85 million a season for 4 years? While I'd rather have Brewer on the Wings for that price, Ericsson's numbers are virtually identical to Brewer's but E's 5 years younger and trending upwards. Brewer's numbers have declined since his peak season in 06-07. Like I said-- if we're talking about next season in isolation I'd take Brewer over Ericsson. But Brewer will be 36 when his deal ends and Ericsson will be 30. I doubt at that point E will be the worse choice. Ericsson will have to get better to justify his contract by growing as a player. However, we can safely assume he's got a better shot to grow at this point than Brewer does (who's 32, declining and has 12 NHL seasons under his belt).

When word filtered out that E's contract was worth 3.25 million it felt like a punch in the gut. Now that I've looked at the signings that went down so far I don't feel quite as bad. Frigging Barker was waived by Minny and bought out after posting 5pts and a -10 in 52 games last year but he got 2.25 million from Edmonton (yeah I know he scored 40pts once in Chicago but he's obviously not that player anymore... at least he wasn't that player in Minny!).

I mean s***... a 37 year old Hamrlik got 3.5 mil a year for 2 years with Washington. How much tread could he possibly have left on his tires?!? Is Hamrlik going to get 2:33 mins of pp time per game in Washington? He got 15 of his 34 points on Montreal's PP. He'll have to get comparable time on Washington's pp to replicate those numbers.

This year's cap increase really messed the market up (in my opinion).

That makes...

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Ericsson

Kindl-Commodore

Rafalski was the second d-choice on the PP and we'll certainly see Kronwall moved into that role. Rafi didn't play a second on the PK while Ericsson certainly will. I don't think it's fair to say E is Rafi's replacement in any sense of the word. Ericsson's going to be the 4th d-man on the Wings where-as Rafi was the 2nd best offensive defenseman. The Wings will expect growth from Kronwall (a fair bet) as he shows whether he can be the legit #1 option on the PP and PK.

There really wasn't a player of Rafi's offensive calibre on the UFA market his year. Rafi is certainly one of the best offensive defensemen to come out of the US.

That makes...

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Ericsson

Kindl-Commodore

Looks more like Kronwall replaced him to me.

Exactly. In his own post he has Kronwall in the #2 spot.

Talk about trying to stir s*** up. :rolleyes:

If the current defence core doesn't play up to Holland's expectations I certainly expect Kenny will make a move or acquisition to rectify the problem.

We should be happy Holland didn't sign Errorhoff to a 40 million dollar 10 year contract.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Rafalski was the second d-choice on the PP and we'll certainly see Kronwall moved into that role. Rafi didn't play a second on the PK while Ericsson certainly will. I don't think it's fair to say E is Rafi's replacement in any sense of the word. Ericsson's going to be the 4th d-man on the Wings where-as Rafi was the 2nd best offensive defenseman. The Wings will expect growth from Kronwall (a fair bet) as he shows whether he can be the legit #1 option on the PP and PK.

There really wasn't a player of Rafi's offensive calibre on the UFA market his year. Rafi is certainly one of the best offensive defensemen to come out of the US.

Very level-headed view of things, I like it. I don't like Ericsson's contract either, but with the way everything went down, it's right in line with the inflation seen across the UFA signings. I like us bringing in Commadore as he has a lot prove and will effectively take over Salei's spot and be much more aggressive (something this team has been missing since Fischer).

I honestly do not feel that Holland is done looking at d-men via trade. I think he'll certainly look at Ian White and Anton Babchuk as options, relegating Kindl/Commadore to depth positions (competing for playing time). I also wouldn't be surprised with over 9 million in cap if Holland doesn't look at trade options as well.