• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I don't think $3.25 per is all that bad for the Red Wings. Here's why:

1) The new assistant coach(es) could help him regain confidence and he'll develop into a great top3 or top4 dman with an offensive flare (heavy shot from the point).

2) If he doesn't improve, Hollad could flip him for a 3rd pick or other assets better than a 9th overall pick they gave up for him.

3) His salary isn't hurting the team because the roster is pretty much full and Holland still has a gob of money to spend (even after they acquire a backup goalie), and the things are going, Holland probably won't spend til trade deadline.

So LGW was full of drama queens then too? :scared:

Just a little bit!

I wasn't around these parts back then...That said - at least Dats was a star calibre player, and was only getting better...Cannot say that about Ericsson.

And while that may have been true of Datsyuk, at the time he still really didn't get done much when it counted most, the playoffs, and most people in here naturally were all over him for it. I was happy they re-signed him for that long and wanted him to remain on the team, but again I get where the masses were coming from back then.

With Big Rig, when I first saw the salary I was a little bit surprised. I don't think he's as bad as the majority in here make him out to be. Far from my favorite, but I don't like to play the whipping boy game all that much and I thought while he showed inconsistency in the regular season, he was good in the playoffs. Not a world-beater, but servicable.

I would think after a day or two of the usual heavy free-agent NHL signings hopefully people in here got a grip some and realized that while Ericsson could (not is, but could be) be overpaid, there were so many other absurd overpayments in signings as well. I remember either on July 1st or 2nd I was offline for most the day and found out about a good bit of signings on XM radio in my car on a lengthy drive and just scratched my head at the contracts offered to some people. Good for them but again, so many overpayments.

And, like some have mentioned, remember Datsyuk's signing at the time. The same with Kronwall a few years ago. Both have definitely played to their contracts. Hopefully Big Rig will as well. Unfortuantely that cannot be determined as of yet just like Datsyuk's and Kronwall's deal at their respective times. And often naturally/unfortunately, people are way too knee-jerkish and want somebody's head on a stick way before things end instead of just waiting to see what else plays out.

Ericsson stated he wanted to remain a Red Wing, which makes me happy. I want somebody who wants to play for this team, work for somebody, be a part of a team, whatever. Hopefully this big contract gets him to play a little more aggressively on a consistent basis.

I don't think $3.25 per is all that bad for the Red Wings. Here's why:

1) The new assistant coach(es) could help him regain confidence and he'll develop into a great top3 or top4 dman with an offensive flare (heavy shot from the point).

2) If he doesn't improve, Hollad could flip him for a 3rd pick or other assets better than a 9th overall pick they gave up for him.

3) His salary isn't hurting the team because the roster is pretty much full and Holland still has a gob of money to spend (even after they acquire a backup goalie), and the things are going, Holland probably won't spend til trade deadline.

Nicely stated.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I don't know if I mentioned it here before, but Ericsson does indeed suck total and complete donkey sack. Ericsson is a turn-over machine. Don't let his size fool you, he's a gentle giant. Tim Thomas had more checks last season than Ericsson.

Ericsson isn't getting better, he's getting worse.

He sucks.

Edited by Holmstrom96

Guest Crymson

It just crossed my mind that Ericsson makes more than Kronwall. That just seems wrong.

Just wait until next season.

Honestly with the cap growing and the limited number of FA's who didnt expect this? George Malik even commnented that the D-man signed in St. Louis for the similar amount would bloat his contract. It does suck that he is being paid so well when Kronner is making 3 mill and he's half the dman. But then again Kronwall will locked up for life and will pry get 4.5-5 million next summer so I dont feel so bad.

Guest Crymson

Honestly with the cap growing and the limited number of FA's who didnt expect this? George Malik even commnented that the D-man signed in St. Louis for the similar amount would bloat his contract. It does suck that he is being paid so well when Kronner is making 3 mill and he's half the dman. But then again Kronwall will locked up for life and will pry get 4.5-5 million next summer so I dont feel so bad.

Kronwall signed his contract more than four years ago. It was less than a full season past the start of the salary-cap era. Contract prices weren't back then as they are now. The cap is enormously higher.