• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#281 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

I'm really questioning Ken Holland on this one. This is a terrible cap hit for a guy who doesn't deserve a cent over $2 million. I understand that the market is thin, but I'd rather just sign a plug for less than keep this hack another year.

Can't score, can't use his size appropriately, plays poor defensively... how in the hell do you justify $3 million?!?

Ken had better do something positive after this, otherwise my confidence in him being a good GM is going to be shattered.

And no, this is not an overreaction.

#282 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have the cap space to afford it.

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

Knowing this, Holland probably said:
"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson,do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet the potential, right?"

Ericsson - "Yes, lets do this!"

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

OMG a knowledgeable poster at LGW... I'm Shocked :yowza: lol

#283 xBflinker

xBflinker

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

“The cap world is about finding players that play beyond what you pay them.”

That's a direct quote from Holland. Either A) he is going against his own beliefs or B) some kind of sign and trade is in the works (we can only pray it's B).

I know Ericsson is still has potential and it's a weak FA market, but $3.25 million is way beyond what he's worth (I would say $2.5 million MAX and even that's pushing it). Let's just hope Kenny knows what he's doing on this one or has something up his sleeve.

#284 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have plenty of cap space to afford it, and lots of $$ cash left to improve the team. (No Kenny isn't getting Richards, never was)

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson, do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet my expectations, right?"

Ericsson - "Yes Mr. Holland, I understand!"

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

I still fail to see how this is a good signing. There might not be any good free agents this year to spend money on, but what about the next 3 years? Im sure we would love to have the cap space we blew on Ericsson back, and you say its not hurting us...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#285 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

I fail to see how anyone can call this deal "bad" at this particular moment. It's not hurting anything. Red Wings have plenty of cap space to afford it, and lots of $$ cash left to improve the team. (No Kenny isn't getting Richards, never was)

How do we know what went on behind the scenes? It
sounds like Holland wanted Ericsson for about $1.8 to $2.0 million. Ericsson is in the press speaking how he wants the chance to advance to the next level. Ericsson know's he'd easily get $3.75+ or more tomorrow. So really he took a discount.

"Okay, $3.25 then, but if you don't progress, I am packaging you up and trading you! - Ericsson, do you understand that I will trade you if you do not meet my expectations, right?"

Ericsson - "Yes Mr. Holland, I understand!"

[worse case scenario, seven months later Ericsson has not
improved, Holland trades him with a pick/prospect for a nice return]

In this market, Holland can get a nice return on Big Rig with this current contract. This is called "asset
management". It might not look good right now, but I am sure Kenny has a plan.

Oh yea, cause if Ericsson s***s the bed, GMs all over the league will be fighting to trade for him at a 3.25 mil cap hit.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#286 ReallyHuh

ReallyHuh

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

I am beyond dismayed with this signing. I am not going to throw out insults towards Kenny Holland, other to say that what he did here is beyond awful. I know and love what Kenny has done for this team in the past, but I cannot help think that some of his shine is gone.

Now I want to be clear that I am not taking away any of the amazing things he has done in the past, he helped shaped championship teams, and I will forever as a fan be thankful for that. That said, he has not done much recently, not much at all.

How many times did we hear "Player X was out deadline deal", or signing "Player Y" was out free agency move. And ya know what, I was fine with it. But then the time comes where he has a boatload of money, clear necessities, and what does he do? Pay a 27 year old, third pairing defensemen for close to 10 million dollars over three years.

I am not so sure how the team will be next year. I know some folks refuse to believe Holland can do wrong, however I am not one of them. We have not improved a lick, in fact, as of right now we have regressed in overall, top to bottom skill. Now unless Kenny pulls an absolute blockbuster tomorrow, and we are talking something huge, then it will be impossible to make a valid argument that he did anything other then sit on the sidelines during the first free agency the Wings had ample amounts of money to play around with.

One other thing -- I am so sick and tired of hearing "we are not overpaying" from the Wings brass. As a general rule, yes, it is good to not overpay, but with the cap increase and the pieces needed, a GM should pay what he has to (within reason) to get the best talent into the organization, not waste it on a turnover machine, who is 27, and average at best.

Below is my wish list - it is my little hope of turning an absolute calamity (the past couple of weeks, players we wanted signing elsewhere, sitting on the sidelines, etc.) into something that can make us better:
  • Zenon Konopka
  • James Wisniewski
  • Sean Bergenheim
  • Andy Greene
  • Patrick Eaves
  • Trade Hudler for best draft picks we can get
I know all of these won't happen (even though I believe Eaves has resigned - not sure though), but I think these are guys we should and I am sure are targeting. I just really, really, hope we sign Wiz.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey." -Steve Yzerman

#287 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

I still fail to see how this is a good signing. There might not be any good free agents this year to spend money on, but what about the next 3 years? Im sure we would love to have the cap space we blew on Ericsson back, and you say its not hurting us...

Ericsson would have easily had money trucks lining up at his door tomorrow at noon from a bunch of teams looking for D. Easily $3.75+ per year in this market. Ericsson now has trade value because he took a discount has a decent term @ 3years.

Holland can still afford to pay Wiz $5.5 + Eaves $1.5 + Jagr $2.0 (don't want him) and a backup goalie at $1.0. How much cap is left over? $3+ million?

Holland has more $$ than he needs, Ericsson is an asset, he can be traded for a return. That's called asset management.

Oh yea, cause if Ericsson s***s the bed, GMs all over the league will be fighting to trade for him at a 3.25 mil cap hit.

Young(er) 27, big (6',6") with a heavy shot from the point? You bet your ass there are GMs out there that would trade for him. Islanders/Leafs/Sens etc...

Ericsson is a bone head, but he's not as bad as people think. The thing is, this is the Nu:Cap and fans (LGWs) have not yet adjusted. His contract will look like a steal in a few months.

Edited by Heaten, 30 June 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#288 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Ericsson would have easily had money trucks lining up at his door tomorrow at noon from a bunch of teams looking for D. Easily $3.75+ per year in this market. Ericsson now has trade value because he took a discount has a decent term @ 3years.

Holland can still afford to pay Wiz $5.5 + Eaves $1.5 + Jagr $2.0 (don't want him) and a backup goalie at $1.0. How much cap is left over? $3+ million?

Holland has more $$$ than he needs, Ericsson is an asset, he can be traded for a return. That's called asset management.

Unless this is a sign and trade, I don't see how his value increases for a trade. If he gets better no way hes traded, if he sucks, no one will want him. This is purely a gamble on Holland's end because if he take the next step you're right, hes a great pick up at that price, if he stays where hes at or regresses, he will replace Hudler in everyone's dog house.

Edited by Shaman464, 30 June 2011 - 11:51 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#289 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

Unless this is a sign and trade, I don't see how his value increases for a trade. This is purely a gamble on Holland's end because if he take the next step you're right, hes a great pick up at that price, if he stays where hes at or regresses, he will replace Hudler in everyone's dog house.

No. I mean if he progresses, Holland probably told him he'll stay. If he doesn't progress (stays the same), he'll be traded. Ericsson as-is, has trade value in this market. I don't see Ericsson regressing unless he gets a fluke injury that hampers him.

#290 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Holland can still afford to pay Wiz $5.5 + Eaves $1.5 +
Jagr $2.0 (don't want him) and a backup goalie at $1.0. How much cap is left over? $3+ million?

Holland has more $$ than he needs, Ericsson is an asset, he can be traded for a return. That's called asset management.

Young(er) 27, big (6',6") with a heavy shot from the point? You bet your ass there are GMs out there that would trade for him. Islanders/Leafs/Sens etc...

Ericsson is a bone head, but he's not as bad as people
think. The thing is, this is the Nu:Cap and fans (LGWs) have not yet adjusted. His contract will look like a steal in a few months.

Turnover machine, pylon, terrible in own zone, offensively retarded, weak puck handler, and 90% of the time looks completely lost on the ice......yea, I can totally see how enticing he is.

The fact of the matter is, we just paid 3.25 mil for a repeatedly benched, bottom pair D-man.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#291 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

No. I mean if he progresses, Holland probably told him he'll stay. If he doesn't progress (stays the same), he'll be traded. Ericsson as-is, has trade value in this market. I don't see Ericsson regressing unless he gets a fluke injury that hampers him.

Who would want him if he doesn't get better for 3.25m?

Edited by Shaman464, 01 July 2011 - 12:10 AM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#292 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Turnover machine, pylon, terrible in own zone, offensively retarded, weak puck handler, and 90% of the time looks completely lost on the ice......yea, I can totally see how enticing he is.

The fact of the matter is, we just paid 3.25 mil for a repeatedly benched, bottom pair D-man.

Not a fan of Ericsson either but this is quite an exaggeration don't you think?

For one, I'm pretty sure he wasn't benched at all this past season. He played 74 games and missed 8 due to back spasms.

#293 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

i just hope babcock lets ericsson play with lids to see if he can get his confidence back
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#294 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

i just hope babcock lets ericsson play with lids to see if he can get his confidence back

At that price I feel like it's likely Ericsson will play with Lidstrom.

#295 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:07 AM

At that price I feel like it's likely Ericsson will play with Lidstrom.

ericsson has all the physical tools, maybe it is just something between the ears. he could be good and maybe playing with lidstrom will bring the best out of him.

14 Fighting Majors

#296 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Or to showcase his talents alongside Mr. Norris all year to boost his trade value!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#297 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Congratulations.

I now have a deal that I hate about 10,000 times more than I could possibly ever hate Flip's last contract.

This is the happiest moment of my life. :crybaby:

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#298 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

Let's try to think just a little more positive, eh?

#299 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

Who would want him if he doesn't get better for 3.75m?

Holland got a 5th and a prospect for Villef****** Leino... Just sayin'

#300 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

anyone think this contract is strange? I know we all seem to be baffled at it.

maybe holland has some secret agreement with a team needing to reach the cap floor to package ericsson with one of huds/flip and a prospect to land us bogosian or a young stud D man like that.

Edited by redwingfan19, 01 July 2011 - 12:12 AM.

14 Fighting Majors