Photo
* * - - - 12 votes

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#361 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

Dude played like crap IN A CONTRACT YEAR...it's that where you are supposed to shine brightest so you get the big payday? What do you expect from a content, signed, fat and happy Ericsson? OY.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#362 BigWinston

BigWinston

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

I'm a huge fan of big E, but even I think he's not worth this much. Maybe we're wrong but wow

Yeah - me too. Seems way too high but I'm prepared to hold out my final verdict until we see him play under the new D coach.

#363 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

WoW I've never seen a signing that has caused LGW to go this crazy.

I just don't get what's the bad part about signing Ericsson. Sure, he didn't perform to his expectancy but the his still 27, 6-4 and 220 ... which I really don't mind having. I really think he will pan out to be a good defenseman eventually if we hire a defensive coach that can groom him better then Brad McCrimmon did.

Did you guys forget his first playoffs when he stepped him and everyone was happy (The Year We Won The Cup. The following year, Brad McCrimmon stepped in as defensive coach ... the defense has never been the same since his arrival. IMO, his poor play / poor play of defense has more to do with Brad McCrimmon then anything else. It would be a real shame if he did go to another team with a better defensive coach and pan out to be a good player, then everyone would be complaining on how Holland let that slip by.

I could be possibly be wrong, Ericsson might just lack the level to play in the NHL but that one we won't be able to tell for at least 1 more year (with a new D. coach).

IMO, there are no quality FA's this year and if Holland didn't sign anyone and brought the kids up to play I would be very happy. The only FA that would of interested me is Wisnieski but please Kenny don't overpay him.

#364 AARedWingFan

AARedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

I don't really care for the numbers, but I'm glad the big guy is coming back. I think if he is used in a way that would let him use his big shot, he would be much more of an offensive asset. Defensively...Yea, lets go with a new D coach and see what happens. I'm optimistic but skeptical of the price.

Edit: typo

Edited by AARedWingFan, 01 July 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#365 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Everyone keeps forgetting, sure 2-2.5 million would be a good deal IF THE CAP DIDN'T GO UP. The cap has went up, therefore contracts are going up.

#366 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

I just don't get what's the bad part about signing Ericsson. Sure, he didn't perform to his expectancy but the his still 27, 6-4 and 220 ... which I really don't mind having. I really think he will pan out to be a good defenseman eventually if we hire a defensive coach that can groom him better then Brad McCrimmon did.

Did you guys forget his first playoffs when he stepped him and everyone was happy (The Year We Won The Cup. The following year, Brad McCrimmon stepped in as defensive coach ... the defense has never been the same since his arrival. IMO, his poor play / poor play of defense has more to do with Brad McCrimmon then anything else. It would be a real shame if he did go to another team with a better defensive coach and pan out to be a good player, then everyone would be complaining on how Holland let that slip by.

I could be possibly be wrong, Ericsson might just lack the level to play in the NHL but that one we won't be able to tell for at least 1 more year (with a new D. coach).

IMO, there are no quality FA's this year and if Holland didn't sign anyone and brought the kids up to play I would be very happy. The only FA that would of interested me is Wisnieski but please Kenny don't overpay him.

Okay, you've convinced me. My hate for McCrimmon is much greater than that for E. Will the "Ericsson sucks" bandwagon please pull over and let me off...for now. Just circle the block a few times, if you don't hear from me by December 1st just take off without me.
RIP #24

#367 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

yep stillf****** pissed about this deal. f*** you Ken Holland
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#368 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

TRADE! TRADE! TRADE! E is worth 1.5 to 2, and in 5 years he'll still be worth 1.5 to 2. Holland is an alcoholic.

At this point, keep Jiri and trade Kenny

Edited by number9, 01 July 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#369 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Maybe Kenny has someting up his sleeve regarding Ericsson. A sign and trade? Ah Kenny doesn't make trades. I'll come back to reality now.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#370 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

guys, i had a bad dream last night that the wings signed ericsson to a multi-year deal at 3.25 mil a year! can you imagine! lol...

...s***.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#371 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

We don't have a problem with Ericsson being a Red Wing. But it's an overpayment of about 1 mil per year. I don't care that the Cap has gone up. A bad contract is still a bad contract. Just because you have Cap space to burn doesn't mean you should light your payroll on fire. I still have faith in Kenny but I am still shaking my head over this contract.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#372 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

Heh, saw this and instantly knew there would be a s***storm here. Seems really expensive, I feel like we're paying for potential that should already have surfaced. Not a fan of this move, would've expected about 2.5mil per year...

#373 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Article about Holand Panicking
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#374 swiss_fan

swiss_fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

But he didn't want to take the risk. Not just with Hossa, but with anyone. He signed Franzen and then half-assed everything else and watched all of his free agents walk away. He admitted himself that he was taken by surprise. He didn't play it write. He didn't focus on what he so often preached which is "VALUE." The best move he could have made to get the most value out of his money was focusing on getting Hossa signed, letting Huds and Sammy walk, dealing Flip for picks. Then he could've used his greatest talent in finding under the radar guys and older guys with something left to prove to fill out the roster, much as he had to do anyways after he was left with nothing because he didn't put any real effort into anything.

This x 1000! This was a cornerstone bad move that send us years back to get the cup again..

#375 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

Wow. I go out for the night and don't get to check out signings and this happens? Obviously an overpayment, but I'm going to try not to get too bent out of shape. Maybe he'll be paired with Lidstrom and used in more situations? I can't see Kenny signing him for this if he's only going to be #5 on the depth chart? Am I off base here?

#376 Zeke

Zeke

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Holland's most recent signings:
Ericsson
Modano
Bertuzzi
Hudler
Howard
Salei

and a little further back,
Drake
Lang

Lets give him props for the Howard signing at a bargain price,and the acquisition of Drake who was a factor in our cup run.

Salei was a value signing,but little risk,little reward. :zzz:

The others.....pure genius. :clap:
Crosby plays dress-up

#377 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

Negotiations probably went something like this:

Holland: We'll give you 2.25 million
Big E: Hmmm, close, but I'd need to know what my role on the team would be. I won't sign if I'm not a pivotal part of the D.
Holland: Oh for sure, we'll make you top 4 and use you in all kinds of situations.
Big E: Well in that case, I'm not signing for anywhere near 2.25 million, hahahaha.
Holland: F***, you got me.
Agent: Not sure what this kid pays me for, damn he's good.

Was funnier in my head, I'm on an hour of sleep here people, have mercy.

#378 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

I think Ericsson has a lot to prove this season. If he doesn't earn his pay then he deserves to be traded. He has potential and hopefully this year he'll be able to focus better and live up to it, prove all the doubters wrong. I would love to see him succeed and if/when that happens I'd like to be as a Wing.

I do think that the contract was a little high but it might just turn out to be a great deal.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#379 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Wow. I go out for the night and don't get to check out signings and this happens? Obviously an overpayment, but I'm going to try not to get too bent out of shape. Maybe he'll be paired with Lidstrom and used in more situations? I can't see Kenny signing him for this if he's only going to be #5 on the depth chart? Am I off base here?

Unfortunately....yes.

See my post here: http://www.letsgowin...ost__p__2193188

Holland basically stated that he signed Ericsson with the intention of having him be the 5th defenseman. Which just makes me raise my eyebrow even higher.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#380 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Wow. Ericsson got a lot more than I expected.

He definitely benefitted from the cap going up, Detroit's current defensive situation, and the market out there for D-men. I wonder if he had a serious offer from another team Holland had to beat.

Because Holland hadn't locked anyone up, can imagine if Ericsson walked too? The Wings defensive corps would be Lids, Kronwall, Stuart... Kindl? Smith? Janik?

The bottom line is, with this contract, it's going to miserable here at LGW. People act like he's the worst defenseman to play the game at 900k. Now with this contract I'm sure they're lighting the torches and getting the pitchforks already.