Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Dont bring his mom into it.

Hes Big

Hes Strong

and hes a limp wristed *****.

We cant afford to keep him on the team. We can monetarily handle it but the Wings arent going to WIN with him on the team. He got signed for one of two things...

1. Hes set to be traded to Toronto or Winni or Ottawa. OH GOD PLEASE MAKE IT TRUE.

2. Holland bluffed and waited and lost. Now hes picking up the pieces.

3. Im a total idiot that has no room to talk and we have a Grade A defense crew next year

I dont think #3 is the case.

Don't know about the total idiot thing but your lack of empathy and understanding about how serious illness can affect ANYone is obvious.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#382 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

The scary part is if Ericsson is getting that much, what is Kaberle and the few Dmen left going to go for? (he hasn't signed yet, has he?)

EDIT: Just saw Wiz signed for $5.5. Wow.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 July 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#383 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

I don't know why Ericsson's size is consistently mentioned as his saving grace, the guy plays like a complete ***** and barely utilizes his size at all...if this is his only positive attribute for $3.25 million then it's gonna be another rough year on defense.

#384 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

f***

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#385 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

Im not one to argue with Holland but this is stupid.

#386 heretic69

heretic69

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

• Gold Booster
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm seriously like LOOOOOL at everyone who were ragging on people for questioning Kenny.

At three 'n' a quarter he better start playing like he doesn't put paint chips on his wheaties.

#387 Weezer

Weezer

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#388 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

So I'm guessing Ericsson is slotted into the #4 spot by default. I don't think he's as bad as everyone here tries to make him out, but even I think that's a big step up based on his performance last season. Fortunately it'll likely only mean another minute or so of ice time. Maybe not any depending on who's on the bottom two.

That's what makes this even scarier. Kindl didn't look ready to step in for a full season last year, but now I guess he has to be. And Holland will hopefully go out and find an experience bottom pairing guy who also plays on the PK, to help distribute the minutes more evenly.

I'm definitely worried about the Wings blueline. For those who were always bitching about Rafalski being overpaid, well, you got your wish.

#389 tcwing

tcwing

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

I am sure that with how disgruntle people are about this signing here, I am about ready to pour gas on the proverbial fire, but what the hell! It is a good day!

While I can guess that Holland would rather not have signed big E for $3.25M/yr, here are theories as to why it happened that way. (That don't already include the Holland is dumb, smoking crack, drunk, or Big E has some questionable photos of Holland.)

While you can look, in general at the salaries of all d-men, and plop E into a 'in general' grouping of perhaps $2-2.5M/yr. Here are things to up the ante for him:
- The 'great' FA d-men, are few (if you can even argue that there are 'great' ones in the list, and not just pretty good.) The demand on the ones available will be higher, so thus, will probably get slightly more this off-season than what their 'true' market value is. Other teams, because of the 'good' d-man shortage this year would have been willing to gamble more than $2.5M on him, driving up his value.

- We will not have McCrimmon as the d-coach next year. His taint affected the d as a whole, not just Ericsson.

- Holland must believe there is still untapped potential with Ericsson. He is still young, healthy, and the biggest d-man we currently have. He is also familiar with the team (the whole the devil you know...). There is a lot of intangible value there.

So, the question for Holland before re-signing Ericsson becomes this:
Can I get 3 d-men via free market, farm system, and trades to replace Rafalski, Salei, and Ericsson that keeps our D comparable or better than the 2010-11 D that we had cheaper than if I keep Ericsson for $3.25M/yr and just have to replace Rafalski and Salei?

Obviously, Holland didn't want to chance it and thought the better bet was to keep him, albeit for more than he might have wanted to spend.

#390 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

I am sure that with how disgruntle people are about this signing here, I am about ready to pour gas on the proverbial fire, but what the hell! It is a good day!

While I can guess that Holland would rather not have signed big E for $3.25M/yr, here are theories as to why it happened that way. (That don't already include the Holland is dumb, smoking crack, drunk, or Big E has some questionable photos of Holland.)

While you can look, in general at the salaries of all d-men, and plop E into a 'in general' grouping of perhaps $2-2.5M/yr. Here are things to up the ante for him:
- The 'great' FA d-men, are few (if you can even argue that there are 'great' ones in the list, and not just pretty good.) The demand on the ones available will be higher, so thus, will probably get slightly more this off-season than what their 'true' market value is. Other teams, because of the 'good' d-man shortage this year would have been willing to gamble more than $2.5M on him, driving up his value.

- We will not have McCrimmon as the d-coach next year. His taint affected the d as a whole, not just Ericsson.

- Holland must believe there is still untapped potential with Ericsson. He is still young, healthy, and the biggest d-man we currently have. He is also familiar with the team (the whole the devil you know...). There is a lot of intangible value there.

Can I get 3 d-men via free market, farm system, and trades to replace Rafalski, Salei, and Ericsson that keeps our D comparable or better than the 2010-11 D that we had cheaper than if I keep Ericsson for $3.25M/yr and just have to replace Rafalski and Salei?

Obviously, Holland didn't want to chance it and thought the better bet was to keep him, albeit for more than he might have wanted to spend.

Well said, especially the bolded part. I think this contract is overpayment, but I can see the circumstances that led to it.

I can understand Rafalski keeping his decision private because he didn't want to make the season about him, but at the same time, I really wish he had given Holland a heads up as soon as he was certain about retiring.

#391 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Soooo, this contract or Kopecky's in Florida as the worst signings so far in the last few days? I can't believe Kopecky got 12 mill over 4 years.

Edited by Wings3:16, 01 July 2011 - 11:15 AM.

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#392 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

The price is inflated and an overpayment by easily a million, but that's the reality of the new NHL with the Salary Cap going up. It's not like players are going to take the same money with a higher ceiling available.

I support Big E as he remains a Wing, even if I'd be happy to see him walk. He needs to get serious about his role with the team, though.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#393 heretic69

heretic69

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

• Gold Booster
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Soooo, this contract or Kopecky's in Florida as the worst signings so far in the last few days? I can't believe Kopecky got 12 mill over 4 years.

Meh, I would still rather have E than Kopecky.

#394 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Ken Holland's cap philosophy is to: Sign players near or under market value, and have them play above their pay grade. This is a huge overpayment. I just don't see Ericsson living up to his cap number. He's basically a 6'5 Lebda. Could Ericsson improve his play? Sure, and he better! The Wings need to get someone in here and teach this guy how to use his size out there. Maybe someone needs to piss in this guy's breakfast everyday and get him pissed off. He needs an edge. As far as Ken Holland goes, he needs to get his sh!t together. This has PANIC MOVE written all over it. I think it's fair to assume a hand full of the D-Men he was targeting got scooped up before today. And this is the result. A huge overpayment. Totally against his cap philosophy.

#395 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Whoa, this is a terrible signing. I can't believe Holland would ever sign something like this. He must really expect E to play like a Top 4 defenseman this year. I don't like paying players for potential, especially when they haven't shown much.

Man..how did the rumors get it so wrong? Over 3 mil is a big difference from 1.8. And geez, how did Holland let E take him to the cleaners? The original offer was 2 million! I'm beginning to wonder if E is our "big defenseman signing." Disaster in the making. Reminds me of Kronwall getting a similar contract, only Kronwall had tons of potential.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#396 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Whoa, this is a terrible signing. I can't believe Holland would ever sign something like this. He must really expect E to play like a Top 4 defenseman this year. I don't like paying players for potential, especially when they haven't shown much.

Man..how did the rumors get it so wrong? Over 3 mil is a big difference from 1.8. And geez, how did Holland let E take him to the cleaners? The original offer was 2 million! I'm beginning to wonder if E is our "big defenseman signing." Disaster in the making. Reminds me of Kronwall getting a similar contract, only Kronwall had tons of potential.

As I said, PANIC MOVE.

#397 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

You are right about the circumstances that drove Ericsson's price up, but not the reason that Holland agreed to pay him. Ericsson has not proven to be any better than any other average defenseman. We did not need to overpay Ericsson because we could've gotten virtually any no-name bottom pairing defenseman for cheaper and had a seamless transition. Holland is paying for what he hopes is potential. It's not dumb, because Holland is a brilliant GM, but it is likely a mistake.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#398 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

I don't understand some of the response from a lot of you Ericsson and Holland haters here. What do you really know that's not out there for the rest of us hockey fans to read?

Do you think Holland should have paid Wisniewski 5.5 mill for 6 years, knowing he still needed a forward and back-up goalie? Do you not believe Holland knew what Wis could possibly get within the expanding cap?

Do you believe Ericsson couldn't have earned that much on the open market?

WHAT defenseman would logically go after, KNOWING what else you had to work out for your team, and knowing the price would be overblown because of the expanding cap?

What have you heard that Holland hasn't heard? What do you know that Holland DOESN'T know? Unless any of you are mind-readers, your rants mean next to nothing.

Edited by Vladifan, 01 July 2011 - 11:50 AM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#399 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't understand some of the response from a lot of you Ericsson and Holland haters here. What do you really know that's not out there for the rest of us hockey fans to read?

Do you think Holland should have paid Wisniewski 5.5 mill for 6 years, knowing he still needed a forward and back-up goalie? Do you not believe Holland knew what Wis would get within the expanding cap?

Do you believe Ericsson couldn't have earned that much on the open market?

WHAT defenseman would logically go after, KNOWING what else you had to work out for your team, and knowing the price would be overblown because of the expanding cap?

What have you heard that Holland hasn't heard? What do you know that Holland DOESN'T know? Unless any of you are mind-readers, your rants mean next to nothing.

We could have paid that and still afforded a top 6 forward and a backup goalie.

http://www.freep.com...6/1053/sports05 This article mentions E is slated to be a 5th D-man. It may just be pure speculation by the author, but why would a 5th pairing d-man get that much money? I have a feeling with the lack of D-men out there E is the top 4 guy.

#400 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

We could have paid that and still afforded a top 6 forward and a backup goalie.

http://www.freep.com...6/1053/sports05 This article mentions E is slated to be a 5th D-man. It may just be pure speculation by the author, but why would a 5th pairing d-man get that much money? I have a feeling with the lack of D-men out there E is the top 4 guy.

I will ask again. Don't you think E could have made that much money on the open market?

And yeah, the difference between me and a lot of you on here is that I think he has the potential to be a solid defenseman. Especially with a good defensive coach hiring. The no-hope attitude about him on this thread is mind-boggling.