• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#401 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

I will ask again. Don't you think E could have made that much money on the open market?

And yeah, the difference between me and a lot of you on here is that I think he has the potential to be a solid defenseman. Especially with a good defensive coach hiring. The no-hope attitude about him on this thread is mind-boggling.

Maybe he could have. My point is we should have let another team overpay for him, we can find some lesser known defenseman who would be just as good for half the price.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#402 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

3.25 mil isn't bad for a defenseman that will score less than 20 pts a year if he's solid defensively and great on the PK.

...ericsson is not.

at least he might be able to eat up minutes while staying out of the box?

...nope.

at least he has size, right?

...oh wait, he plays tiny.

so what does he bring to the table?

...i've got nothing.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#403 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

I will ask again. Don't you think E could have made that much money on the open market?

And yeah, the difference between me and a lot of you on here is that I think he has the potential to be a solid defenseman. Especially with a good defensive coach hiring. The no-hope attitude about him on this thread is mind-boggling.

When did caring what guys were worth on the open market ever get the Red Wings anywhere?

-Elliot

#404 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Kronwall and Datsyuk were overpaid too. Kenny you mad man!!!!11

#405 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Maybe he could have. My point is we should have let another team overpay for him, we can find some lesser known defenseman who would be just as good for half the price.

Please name some of those guys who are available at half the price. Thanks.

I've used up all my +'s , so here ya are.

+1

PERSPECTIVE, PLEASE?! PATIENCE, PLEASE?!

Yeah, yeah I know...lotsa luck on that one. :(

Whoa! Jagr to Philly! Buhby, Penguins' putz!

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#406 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Great signing.

Norris Eric incoming.

#407 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

When did caring what guys were worth on the open market ever get the Red Wings anywhere?

SOMEwhere there's got to be multiple examples of players overpaid for in trades that were total busts - that posters on this board were screaming for early on. Gimme a break....

I just wish I had a better sense of Wings' hockey history. :ph34r:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#408 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

This is so profoundly off the mark, even if you take every slappy into account and double the amount of absurdity flying around back then.

Can you really not see the difference between a superstar like Datsyuk, a future number 1-2 defenseman in Kronwall and then Ericsson, a guy who's done nothing but struggle, play sloppy hockey and underperform on every front on his way to the number 5 spot?

-Elliot

#409 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Like?

#410 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

This is so profoundly off the mark, even if you take every slappy into account and double the amount of absurdity flying around back then.

Can you really not see the difference between a superstar like Datsyuk, a future number 1-2 defenseman in Kronwall and then Ericsson, a guy who's done nothing but struggle, play sloppy hockey and underperform on every front on his way to the number 5 spot?

So what you are saying is it's absurd for anyone to think Ericsson will ever become the caliber of player as a Datsyuk? Well...duh! Lol.

People were outraged at Datsyuk and Kronwall's contract at first, now they are playing above their potential, that's the point.

Ericsson will never be more than a #3 guy at best. But he will become a solid #4 and may even QB the 2nd unit on the PP in the near distant future. $3.25 is a bargain (in this current salary cap world) for a #4, potentially a future #3.

27 is young for a defenseman, people act like he's on the downside of his aging career. Lidstrom didn't even peak till age 30. Chara didn't even start putting it together til his 6th or 7th year in the NHL. Ericsson has played 2 seasons.

You act like everyone knew Kronwall was going to be a future 1-2 dman. It was projected, but nobody on LGWs believed it. NOBODY! - The forum was outraged.

Edited by Heaten, 01 July 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#411 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

Like?

+1

I'm still waiting for an answer to the same question.

#412 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Like?

Lilja derp.derp :ph34r:

#413 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Lilja derp.derp :ph34r:

Just signed with the Flyers.

#414 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

So what you are saying is it's absurd for anyone to think Ericsson will ever become the caliber of player as a Datsyuk? Well...duh! Lol.

People were outraged at Datsyuk and Kronwall's contract at first, now they are playing above their potential, that's the point.

Ericsson will never be more than a #3 guy at best. But he will become a solid #4 and may even QB the 2nd unit on the PP in the near distant future. $3.25 is a bargain (in this current salary cap world) for a #4, potentially a future #3.

27 is young for a defenseman, people act like he's on the downside of his aging career. Lidstrom didn't even peak till age 30. Chara didn't even start putting it together til his 6th or 7th year in the NHL. Ericsson has played 2 seasons.

You act like everyone knew Kronwall was going to be a future 1-2 dman. It was projected, but nobody on LGWs believed it. NOBODY! - The forum was outraged.

Datsyuk and Kronwall both had done more to earn their pay day. They had leverage in their negotiations based on their performance AND their potential. Ericsson has surrendered leverage to Holland because of his poor performance and is getting a payday based solely on the hope that he might live up to some potential and maybe give them reason to think that he's not just a 5-6 defenseman. He will never be a #4 guy if he doesn't seriously improve his mental game and thus far, he has done nothing to suggest he'll magically get it together.

I don't know if you're just a big Ericsson fan, but you just seem incredibly biased here. You're bring all these other names into it but ignoring that while they were young, they actually were well on their way to performing at a level demonstrative of their potential. Ericsson hasn't come anywhere remotely close to doing that since joining this team as a regular. He's done nothing but struggle.

Now I full admit that I think he does have potential and I think he still has a chance to live up to it, but I think this signing is completely out of characteristic for the Wings and sets a terrible precedent. Better players have walked for less in years past. If E wasn't willing to take $1.8-2 million to be a Red Wing, Holland should have let him walk.

Holland should have made Howard the bar especially after his outstanding playoff performance. Howard's your starting goalie and he took a team-first contract, signing for less to stay and in return getting a chance to prove himself on an elite club. That's exactly what should have been put on the table for Ericsson. I would be 100% fine with a deal like that. And that's generous considering even with Howard's struggles, he's still had far more positive moments than negatives thus far in his career.

But a 3-year deal worth almost $10 million? That's just a stupid deal for the Detroit Red Wings. They never cared about the open market and it's served them well. If you're not willing to play ball within the system, go find a payday somewhere else. Better, more proven players have left for less than Ericsson signed for, even proportional to the changing cap. That's why this deal is a joke. It's less about Ericsson and more about setting terrible precedents.

-Elliot

#415 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

The Detroit RedWings. We don't overspend on other peoples free agents, just our own!

#416 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Like?

No idea. Thus the "lesser known" part of the equation. There are hundreds of defensemen in the league, are there not? THere's got to be someone out there who will play for 1.8, take penalties, hardly score and make bad defensive decisions.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#417 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

No idea. Thus the "lesser known" part of the equation. There are hundreds of defensemen in the league, are there not? THere's got to be someone out there who will play for 1.8, take penalties, hardly score and make bad defensive decisions.

There isn't.

He doesn't exist. If he did, Ericsson would not have gotten what he did.

#418 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Datsyuk and Kronwall both had done more to earn their pay day.

[/snip]

Lol. Datsyuk was known as a playoff bust and Kenny Holland re-signed him to that 7 year deal when the salary cap was really low. Kronwall didn't show his worth in his cap area either. Lots of angry LGWs fans. Similar to now... nothing's changed around here.

Ericsson has shown he has great potential. He's had some very solid games and Babcock and Holland (Holland with the best scouting staff in the game) believe in him. I guess LGWs has more hockey intelligence than DRWs brass?

#419 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Now seeing Jovo sign for 4 years/$16.5m in Florida, I have to say that I'm starting to feel that maybe Kenny didn't do all that bad with Big E by comparison. Shocking, I know....

#420 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

There isn't.

He doesn't exist. If he did, Ericsson would not have gotten what he did.

:thumbup:

Meanwhile, I love some of the recent "minuses" in this thread. No serious rebuttal or points to be made to logical questions or fact-based statements. Just the big ol' minus. Got yer toys collected? I'd hate to think you'd lose any going home. Yeeeeeeeeeahhhh......:hehe:

Edited by Vladifan, 01 July 2011 - 02:02 PM.