• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#481 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Betcha Ericsson has got photos of Holland wearing womens lingerie.

And Vice Versa.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#482 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:25 AM

The reaction to E's contract was very similar to the reaction of Datsyuk's, and we all know how that turned out. If you want a good laugh, I dug up some reactions when Datsyuk signed in '07...

I still can't believe it.

Luongo 6.5 million.
Datsyuk 6.7 million.

Which would you rather have?

Holland is an idiot. Not only has he just absolutely _BRICKED_ Detroit's salary structure for the next 7 years but he's probably pissed of Zetterberg who signed a super low contract two seasons ago.

7 yr deal for $45 Mill............. DISGUSTING

I love Datysuk, but thats gotta be one of the most pathetic contracts every given out.

It's not even that Datsyuk's unproven - he is a proven choker. Giving him this contract is like...giving Dan Cloutier a $6 million extension before he plays a single game for you

one of the most ridiculous contracts I've ever seen !

Wow, what a horrible deal for the Wings. I wouldn't give him four million a year. He's extremely soft and his play in the playoffs is horrendous.

I still can't understand the stupidity of Ken Holland; I mean I can understand it if he gives 6.5m+ for a short term 2yr deal with the player sacrificing stability for money. And getting him to sign a 7 year deal didn't even get him a discount like 5m or something.

What the hell was he negotiating all this time? What cake to order for dessert after meetings?

#483 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

:lol:

That is great.

Posted Image

#484 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

So LGW was full of drama queens then too? :scared:

#485 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hey, LGW doesn't exist without drama queens. They help make the site money every time they attract attention and the advertisements load up. So don't knock the drama queens. They serve a purpose.

#486 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

The reaction to E's contract was very similar to the reaction of Datsyuk's, and we all know how that turned out. If you want a good laugh, I dug up some reactions when Datsyuk signed in '07...

You should find the reactions LGW had to the Kronwall contracts. That's definitely a better comparison than Datsyuk's.

#487 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

The reactions to Kronwall were what prompted my screen name. I wasn't around when he signed the contract, but after he had a couple of booboos, people were so livid with Kenny for spending 3m/year on him.

Inflation will continue. Contracts will keep edging higher. Ericsson is the next step. When Kronner and Stuie sign, it will be higher, and so on as people keep signing. With each contract, the numbers will get bigger.

I used to work for $3.25/hr. Now I work for somewhere around $11. (Is it terrible that I don't know how much I make?) I am due for a raise this month. Each job has paid higher. Each job has increased over time.

Ericsson's $3.25 hit will look like small potatoes for a player of his caliber by the end of it. True, he's overpaid now. I'm sure Jimmy's next contract will be much bigger as well.

There will always be 1 yr/~$1m contracts to fill in the holes, but even those will become more on the over side of 1m than the under side.

Some people will freak out no matter the numbers and no matter who the player. It's all relative to who the player is, what the numbers are, and who the person is.

#488 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Do you remember the "Datsyuk or Hemsky?" thread from back then? I think Hemsky got most of the votes.

#489 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

A couple other gems:

7 years. Between 6-7 Million.

Holy smokes!!

i give up , kenny is gonna *** up this team's future cause of this deal , wtf is he thinkinggggggggggg

no chance of us signing Bertuzzi now imho

Wow , if we sign Datsyuk over bertuzzi , :crazy:

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#490 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

I wasn't around these parts back then...That said - at least Dats was a star calibre player, and was only getting better...Cannot say that about Ericsson.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#491 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Do you remember the "Datsyuk or Hemsky?" thread from back then? I think Hemsky got most of the votes.

I'd still take Hemsky.

Posted Image

#492 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:59 AM

I'd still take Hemsky.

I actually laughed at this. You're not very good at trolling!

Will you link me to that thread, please?

#493 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

Will you link me to that thread, please?

The quotes I posted are from this HFBoards thread

#494 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

I'd still take Hemsky.

I'll still take Lang.

#495 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

I'll still take Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFo48SrtfsA&feature=player_embedded

esteef

Edited by esteef, 09 July 2011 - 02:33 AM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#496 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

The quotes I posted are from this HFBoards thread

Oh boy. Here come the comments about how bad HF is compared to LGW.

#497 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

I don't think $3.25 per is all that bad for the Red Wings. Here's why:

1) The new assistant coach(es) could help him regain confidence and he'll develop into a great top3 or top4 dman with an offensive flare (heavy shot from the point).

2) If he doesn't improve, Hollad could flip him for a 3rd pick or other assets better than a 9th overall pick they gave up for him.

3) His salary isn't hurting the team because the roster is pretty much full and Holland still has a gob of money to spend (even after they acquire a backup goalie), and the things are going, Holland probably won't spend til trade deadline.

#498 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Posted Image

#499 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Alot of money for a "Work in progress"

#500 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

Just a little bit!

I wasn't around these parts back then...That said - at least Dats was a star calibre player, and was only getting better...Cannot say that about Ericsson.

And while that may have been true of Datsyuk, at the time he still really didn't get done much when it counted most, the playoffs, and most people in here naturally were all over him for it. I was happy they re-signed him for that long and wanted him to remain on the team, but again I get where the masses were coming from back then.

With Big Rig, when I first saw the salary I was a little bit surprised. I don't think he's as bad as the majority in here make him out to be. Far from my favorite, but I don't like to play the whipping boy game all that much and I thought while he showed inconsistency in the regular season, he was good in the playoffs. Not a world-beater, but servicable.

I would think after a day or two of the usual heavy free-agent NHL signings hopefully people in here got a grip some and realized that while Ericsson could (not is, but could be) be overpaid, there were so many other absurd overpayments in signings as well. I remember either on July 1st or 2nd I was offline for most the day and found out about a good bit of signings on XM radio in my car on a lengthy drive and just scratched my head at the contracts offered to some people. Good for them but again, so many overpayments.

And, like some have mentioned, remember Datsyuk's signing at the time. The same with Kronwall a few years ago. Both have definitely played to their contracts. Hopefully Big Rig will as well. Unfortuantely that cannot be determined as of yet just like Datsyuk's and Kronwall's deal at their respective times. And often naturally/unfortunately, people are way too knee-jerkish and want somebody's head on a stick way before things end instead of just waiting to see what else plays out.

Ericsson stated he wanted to remain a Red Wing, which makes me happy. I want somebody who wants to play for this team, work for somebody, be a part of a team, whatever. Hopefully this big contract gets him to play a little more aggressively on a consistent basis.

I don't think $3.25 per is all that bad for the Red Wings. Here's why:

1) The new assistant coach(es) could help him regain confidence and he'll develop into a great top3 or top4 dman with an offensive flare (heavy shot from the point).

2) If he doesn't improve, Hollad could flip him for a 3rd pick or other assets better than a 9th overall pick they gave up for him.

3) His salary isn't hurting the team because the roster is pretty much full and Holland still has a gob of money to spend (even after they acquire a backup goalie), and the things are going, Holland probably won't spend til trade deadline.

Nicely stated.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 10 July 2011 - 05:57 PM.