• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

I just continue to be in awe of Holland's amazing negotiating abilities. The guy just continues to have one great signing after another.

Best GM in the league right there! Am I right or am I right?

+1 please!

Edited by ShanahanMan, 30 June 2011 - 09:17 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Whom did we just sign for this thread? Two seconds ago we wanted Kenny's head.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Whom did we just sign for this thread? Two seconds ago we wanted Kenny's head.

He's being sarcastic, not earnest. It's his typical whining, just as we see every single year at the trade deadline, 2008 included. Perhaps a year of cheering for the Panthers or observing Glen Sather's habits would freshen his perspective. At present, and for as long as I've seen him post on these boards, he acts like a kid who has gotten ten thousand dollars for Christmas every year of his life and screams when he *only* gets half that one year. Of course, he's lacked the ability to appreciate the gift to begin with.

Edited by Crymson, 30 June 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom).

However, I haven't been too keen on his unwillingness to make deadline moves the last two seasons, coupled with the Modano and Hudler acqusitions, and now this Ericsson overpayment.

In sports, it's what have you done for me lately. That's the way thinking should go, otherwise teams won't ever progress anywhere by living in the past.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

He's being sarcastic, not earnest. It's his typical whining, just as we see every single year at the trade deadline, 2008 included. Perhaps a year of cheering for the Panthers or observing Glen Sather's habits would freshen his perspective. At present, and for as long as I've seen him post on these boards, he acts like a kid who has gotten ten thousand dollars for Christmas every year of his life and screams when he *only* gets half that one year. Of course, he's lacked the ability to appreciate the gift to begin with.

No matter how ya spin it - it was not a good signing.

Holland is better than this.

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom).

However, I haven't been too keen on his unwillingness to make deadline moves the last two seasons, coupled with the Modano and Hudler acqusitions, and now this Ericsson overpayment.

In sports, it's what have you done for me lately. That's the way thinking should go, otherwise teams won't ever progress anywhere by living in the past.

Well played sir.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ericsson is going as his agent for Halloween, no doubt.. f***

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Ericsson is going as his agent for Halloween, no doubt.. f***

It's stuff like this that got the league into a lockout a couple of years ago. Overpaying players who aren't that good.

#8 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

Don't forget that Holland is VERY fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg became much better players than even the Wings envisioned. Holland was lucky that he did not have to go outside to replace Yzerman/Federov. This Summer is his first big challenge in a long time and when Lidstrom retires it'll be interesting to see what he does.

By the way, how much would Ericsson have received had Lidstrom retired?

#9 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

Don't forget that Holland is VERY fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg became much better players than even the Wings envisioned. Holland was lucky that he did not have to go outside to replace Yzerman/Federov. This Summer is his first big challenge in a long time and when Lidstrom retires it'll be interesting to see what he does.

By the way, how much would Ericsson have received had Lidstrom retired?

#10 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Nope, nothing to appreciate about Holland right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

I don't think it takes to much sense to see drafting and developing players is the way to go in this era of the looooong term contracts. Why would we want to sign Ehrhoff for 10 years? It's Wade Redden all over again! Even Richards wants 7 years, it's insane!

This year's free agent class is very poor. I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom)

Lets not forget our scouts! I think they have had a bigger role than anyone else in keeping this team up there with their late round gems since the lockout.

I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.

Yeah. I'd hate to have a Franzen style contract on my roster.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

I don't think it takes to much sense to see drafting and developing players is the way to go in this era of the looooong term contracts. Why would we want to sign Ehrhoff for 10 years? It's Wade Redden all over again! Even Richards wants 7 years, it's insane!

This year's free agent class is very poor. I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.

Ummmm......you better read the Ericsson thread bud. :thumbup:

Looks like you just tuned in tonight.

#14 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

Ummmm......you better read the Ericsson thread bud. :thumbup:

Looks like you just tuned in tonight.

I like that Ericsson's new deal is only 3 years.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

I like that Ericsson's new deal is only 3 years.

It's not the years that everyone is pissed about. We knew it'd be for more than one season.

It's the money. If anyone predicted the price 24 hours ago, they'd be laughed off of LGW.

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

It's not the years that everyone is pissed about. We knew it'd be for more than one season.

It's the money. If anyone predicted the price 24 hours ago, they'd be laughed off of LGW.

Ericsson probably leveraged himself against what other UFA's are making. The poor free agent class probably upped his value.

I know I'm in the huge minority here, but considering what the other blueliners are going to be getting, I don't mind the signing.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Do new contracts require the GM to be drug tested, if so, theres no reason to be worried, its obvious Holland is really high right now.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#18 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

the tough part of the ericsson signing is that its not that bad this year. thanks to the cap increase and current contracts, eating his extra 1-2 million overpayment isn't that hard this year. however, what about next year? we can only assume it will finally be lidstroms last, so who is going to fill that big void? additionally, how can we ever expect to sign stuart and kronwall for less than twice what ericsson is making? its bad contracts like these that hurt teams over and over again. it can start a bad cycle. it inflates everyones value including not just teammates but guys all across the league. the lockout was necessary thanks to idiot gms handing out way too much money. the red wings tradition dictates this team should not be part of that group.

everyone loves to start trolling back with how many years the wings have made the playoffs and all that, but the last couple offseasons have been pretty gross. the team has been great because it has made great personnel decisions. that era seems to be ending. the sad thing is that even all the great work of signing guys like datsyuk and zetterberg to long term deals is totally wasted when you just give that extra money to players that don't deserve it.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#19 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip