• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Holland Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

I just continue to be in awe of Holland's amazing negotiating abilities. The guy just continues to have one great signing after another.

Best GM in the league right there! Am I right or am I right?

+1 please!

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Crymson

Whom did we just sign for this thread? Two seconds ago we wanted Kenny's head.

He's being sarcastic, not earnest. It's his typical whining, just as we see every single year at the trade deadline, 2008 included. Perhaps a year of cheering for the Panthers or observing Glen Sather's habits would freshen his perspective. At present, and for as long as I've seen him post on these boards, he acts like a kid who has gotten ten thousand dollars for Christmas every year of his life and screams when he *only* gets half that one year. Of course, he's lacked the ability to appreciate the gift to begin with.

Edited by Crymson

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom).

However, I haven't been too keen on his unwillingness to make deadline moves the last two seasons, coupled with the Modano and Hudler acqusitions, and now this Ericsson overpayment.

In sports, it's what have you done for me lately. That's the way thinking should go, otherwise teams won't ever progress anywhere by living in the past.

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom).

However, I haven't been too keen on his unwillingness to make deadline moves the last two seasons, coupled with the Modano and Hudler acqusitions, and now this Ericsson overpayment.

In sports, it's what have you done for me lately. That's the way thinking should go, otherwise teams won't ever progress anywhere by living in the past.

Don't forget that Holland is VERY fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg became much better players than even the Wings envisioned. Holland was lucky that he did not have to go outside to replace Yzerman/Federov. This Summer is his first big challenge in a long time and when Lidstrom retires it'll be interesting to see what he does.

By the way, how much would Ericsson have received had Lidstrom retired?

Don't forget that Holland is VERY fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg became much better players than even the Wings envisioned. Holland was lucky that he did not have to go outside to replace Yzerman/Federov. This Summer is his first big challenge in a long time and when Lidstrom retires it'll be interesting to see what he does.

By the way, how much would Ericsson have received had Lidstrom retired?

I don't think it takes to much sense to see drafting and developing players is the way to go in this era of the looooong term contracts. Why would we want to sign Ehrhoff for 10 years? It's Wade Redden all over again! Even Richards wants 7 years, it's insane!

This year's free agent class is very poor. I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.

I appreciate what Holland has done in the past (even though a lot of that credit should go to Ilitch's money, Bowman, no salary cap, Yzerman and Lidstrom)

Lets not forget our scouts! I think they have had a bigger role than anyone else in keeping this team up there with their late round gems since the lockout.

I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.

Yeah. I'd hate to have a Franzen style contract on my roster.

I don't think it takes to much sense to see drafting and developing players is the way to go in this era of the looooong term contracts. Why would we want to sign Ehrhoff for 10 years? It's Wade Redden all over again! Even Richards wants 7 years, it's insane!

This year's free agent class is very poor. I'm glad Holland isn't getting the team into some of there horrible contracts other teams are getting themselves into.

Ummmm......you better read the Ericsson thread bud. :thumbup:

Looks like you just tuned in tonight.

I like that Ericsson's new deal is only 3 years.

It's not the years that everyone is pissed about. We knew it'd be for more than one season.

It's the money. If anyone predicted the price 24 hours ago, they'd be laughed off of LGW.

It's not the years that everyone is pissed about. We knew it'd be for more than one season.

It's the money. If anyone predicted the price 24 hours ago, they'd be laughed off of LGW.

Ericsson probably leveraged himself against what other UFA's are making. The poor free agent class probably upped his value.

I know I'm in the huge minority here, but considering what the other blueliners are going to be getting, I don't mind the signing.

Do new contracts require the GM to be drug tested, if so, theres no reason to be worried, its obvious Holland is really high right now.

the tough part of the ericsson signing is that its not that bad this year. thanks to the cap increase and current contracts, eating his extra 1-2 million overpayment isn't that hard this year. however, what about next year? we can only assume it will finally be lidstroms last, so who is going to fill that big void? additionally, how can we ever expect to sign stuart and kronwall for less than twice what ericsson is making? its bad contracts like these that hurt teams over and over again. it can start a bad cycle. it inflates everyones value including not just teammates but guys all across the league. the lockout was necessary thanks to idiot gms handing out way too much money. the red wings tradition dictates this team should not be part of that group.

everyone loves to start trolling back with how many years the wings have made the playoffs and all that, but the last couple offseasons have been pretty gross. the team has been great because it has made great personnel decisions. that era seems to be ending. the sad thing is that even all the great work of signing guys like datsyuk and zetterberg to long term deals is totally wasted when you just give that extra money to players that don't deserve it.

"Action Failed: You have reached your quota for positive votes today"

Or else I'd plus one ya.

:)

PS- Why the heck is there a limit on plus one votes anyway? I can understand a quota on negatives, but positives too?

Over the last few days I had resigned myself to the idea of Ericsson making $2 million a year. I figured the way this off-season has gone, Holland would have to give a bit more to keep him.

$2 million.

That was a painful idea. This is Mr. Giveaway we're talking about here. He's another sloppy season away from Lebda territory.

It'll only be worse now with this contract. That $3.25 million puts a huge target on his back for critics, as if he needed it. He's been a lightning rod for more often than not deserved criticism for more than a little while now. I mean, thus far, the guy peaked before he was ever a regular! He's never been even close to solid as a regular for any significant span of time. Sure, he could get better, but the way he's played so far had me wholly content to let him walk if he expected a payday. No problem. Let someone else take that chance; he hasn't earned it in Detroit.

I just don't even know...

Without question, this is the worst signing Holland has made as a GM. I didn't like Flip's old deal much but it honestly looks outstanding compared to this malarky.

$3.25 million for a 5th defenseman who's most notable skill has been a knack for bonehead plays in our zone.

Again, I say, what kind of crazy f***ed up world do we live in where Jonathon Ericsson is worth $3.25 million a year?

He just rewarded a player with a solid contract for what? For turnovers, minimal offensive output, and not using his body?

So this is the message we are sending? If you have an ounce of potential, you will be rewarded in hopes that you succeed?!?

Terrible contract and Holland had better make a trade for a REAL top 4 d-man. If this is it, than my confidence in our GM will be seriously shattered.

San Jose will run us over without even batting an eye. Look at the two teams that were competing for the cup, Ericsson does not represent that value in any way.

Over the last few days I had resigned myself to the idea of Ericsson making $2 million a year. I figured the way this off-season has gone, Holland would have to give a bit more to keep him.

$2 million.

That was a painful idea. This is Mr. Giveaway we're talking about here. He's another sloppy season away from Lebda territory.

It'll only be worse now with this contract. That $3.25 million puts a huge target on his back for critics, as if he needed it. He's been a lightning rod for more often than not deserved criticism for more than a little while now. I mean, thus far, the guy peaked before he was ever a regular! He's never been even close to solid as a regular for any significant span of time. Sure, he could get better, but the way he's played so far had me wholly content to let him walk if he expected a payday. No problem. Let someone else take that chance; he hasn't earned it in Detroit.

I just don't even know...

Without question, this is the worst signing Holland has made as a GM. I didn't like Flip's old deal much but it honestly looks outstanding compared to this malarky.

$3.25 million for a 5th defenseman who's most notable skill has been a knack for bonehead plays in our zone.

Again, I say, what kind of crazy f***ed up world do we live in where Jonathon Ericsson is worth $3.25 million a year?

You hit it spot on here. I agree completely.

First time I've really wondered about my user name.

Yep.

Tonight marks the very first time, literally, that I've started to question whether or not Holland still has what it takes to be the Wings GM. I've defended him when the armchair jokers pissed and moaned time and time again. I've rarely questioned his deals. I've heaped him with a lot of praise.

But the last few years, my enthusiasm little by little has waned, and tonight, I'm really wondering for the first time if Holland's effectiveness as Wings GM has had it's run. I hope he proves himself as I've got nothing against the guy and I still believe he's fully capable of being a great GM (here if not elsewhere in the league), but this deal just really has floored me. When you're the Wings and you've watched this guy play sloppy, sloppy hockey the last couple years, when you've seen his already weak mental game deteriorate more than it's improved, you don't sign him to a 3 year deal worth almost $10 million. If he thinks he's worth that and even if he is worth that on the open market, you let him walk.

You just got done signing Jimmy Howard to a 2-year deal worth $4.5 million! As bad of a deal as Ericsson's is, it's doubly bad for the message it sends to other players. The standard it sets is far more appalling than even the terrible deal itself. You ice a team that's weaker for a year (or until trades) before you give Jonathon Ericsson $3.25 million a year.

I just don't think there's any way around it; this is a horrible deal. Even if Ericsson improves and earns every penny of it and some, it doesn't change the fact that on the day he signed it, he had done nothing to deserve it while doing plenty to warrant getting the boot from this club. That standard will hang in the air, and I don't like it at all.

This was a mistake, a very big mistake.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mark-Spizzirri/Red-Wings-re-sign-Jonathan-Ericsson-panic-set-in-for-Holland/77/36794

As first announced by TSN's Bob McKenzie via Twitter, the Detroit Red Wings re-signed Jonathan Ericsson on Thursday night to a 3-year deal worth $9.75 million ($3.25 million per season).

Based on Holland's quote above, it appears the Red Wings may have felt compelled to retain the services of Ericsson at all costs, considering Kevin Bieksa re-signed in Vancouver ($4.6 million per season), Christian Ehrhoff signed with the Buffalo Sabres ($4 million cap hit per year) earlier today and James Wisniewski appears as a main target of the Columbus Blue Jackets who presently hold his rights until Friday afternoon at 12:00pm ET.

Although Wisniewski or several other lower-cost alternatives still might be attained by Holland in free agency, at first glance the $3.25 million per season contract for Ericsson seems to be a massive overpayment for his services, when compared to some of the other contracts signed recently. In particular, to more than triple his salary when Ericsson has remained an enigma in Detroit appears very "un-Holland" like. Ericsson is a guy that appears to have all the tools and size to be a solid defenseman, yet has been too inconsistent during his tenure thus far in Detroit to warrant such a leap of faith from the Red Wings.

One guy who should feel slighted in seeing this contract is goaltender Jimmy Howard. Having re-signed during the latter portion of the regular season to a two year contract paying $2.25 million per season, he forfeited the opportunity to cash in as an unrestricted free agent following his strong playoff performances for Detroit. His play was much more valuable to the team's success over the past two years, yet he is going to have to stomach knowing Ericsson is making $1 million more than him per season the next two years.

Holland was adamant about not throwing his team's pay structure out of whack by overpaying for other team's free agents. Instead, he's done exactly that by re-signing one of his own free agents out of fear he would have been left empty-handed and short staffed on the blue line next season.

Good article.