• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kingston

Red Wings trying to move Jiri Hudler

Rate this topic

did not live up to his paycheck

I understand the hate, but this is something people don't seem to understand. Hudler may have had a subpar first half, but he was paid like a bottom-half second liner and that's where his overall season performance placed him. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are cheap because of injury and age, and questions about what they might provide in the future. Cleary makes basically the same as Hudler. Filppula makes more and signed his contract before he was a second liner, while Hudler had just scored 57 points when he signed his.

I understand the hate, but this is something people don't seem to understand. Hudler may have had a subpar first half, but he was paid like a bottom-half second liner and that's where his overall season performance placed him. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are cheap because of injury and age, and questions about what they might provide in the future. Cleary makes basically the same as Hudler. Filppula makes more and signed his contract before he was a second liner, while Hudler had just scored 57 points when he signed his.

True.

My quote was part of an answer to the question "why the hate?" or something along that line.

When Hudler went to arbitration, there were a lot of people who were pretty upset. That, IMHO, is where the hate for most began. Then when he went to Russia, things got worse. I, for one, defended his move to Russia because we would not have been able to afford what he was awarded. We just didn't have the cap space. I still believe that he went there knowing that it would buy us time until the next year when we would have the space to afford him.

So the "didn't live up to paycheck" comment was not accurate. Mea culpa. I would have been better saying "people expect a guy who took the team to arbitration to kick serious butt to prove that he was worth it" or something along that line.

What I meant by that was that once he came back, he was on a very short leash, and quite a few around here didn't feel that he was worth what he was being paid, more due to the arbitration than to his output to pay ratio.

To be honest, I expected more of him. I was pulling for him, but he just didn't seem all there. He had his flashes of greatness, but they seemed few and far apart. I have to admit that I was disappointed. Of course, had we won another Cup, he would have earned his pay at the parade. :D

How are you holding up?

Must be real tough to think it might actually happen.

I think you're thinking of the Filppula groupies.

Given the fact that over the almost 30 years I have been watching hockey, most of my favorite players have been traded or waived at least once; including Adam Oates, Steve Chiasson, Dallas Drake, Chris Osgood, and others.

You know if we keep Huds and he actually gets around 40 points this season I'm going to bite my tongue. Thing is I highly doubt Kenny is re-signing him next off-season.

Really? Around 40 points is where you're setting the bar for tongue biting? I would say be prepared to bite your tongue, then. That's a bit of a exaggeration. Everyone was all disappointed with last season and he scored 37 points. I would say that qualifies as 'around 40 points' - and everyone seems to be in agreement that it was less than expected. This year he won't be dealing with the KHL transition, etc....plus, no Draper or Modano so he may not sit as many games. If he had played a few more games last year, he would have hit 40. He hit 40 in 07-08, not to mention the 57 in 08-09. I understand the disappointment with the output vs. the $ for Hudler, but let's be realistic.

Really? Around 40 points is where you're setting the bar for tongue biting? I would say be prepared to bite your tongue, then. That's a bit of a exaggeration. Everyone was all disappointed with last season and he scored 37 points. I would say that qualifies as 'around 40 points' - and everyone seems to be in agreement that it was less than expected. This year he won't be dealing with the KHL transition, etc....plus, no Draper or Modano so he may not sit as many games. If he had played a few more games last year, he would have hit 40. He hit 40 in 07-08, not to mention the 57 in 08-09. I understand the disappointment with the output vs. the $ for Hudler, but let's be realistic.

Ok. Let's be realistic when I said 40 points. Maybe I was thinking more like 20 goals and 20 assists compared to his 10 goals and 27 assists. Still the same number basically I know but like everyone or myself thought he would/should have put the puck in the net more. Maybe 50-60 points is more realistic I don't know. Funny thing is I don't really remember him having that many assists. Still his cap hit isn't worth it. He's small, weak with the puck, gets knocked around all over the ice. I mean obviously his trade value isn't worth much right now. I don't mind him except for the fact that he jumped ship to the KHL when we needed him and then said "oh" I think I'll come back now and play in NHL.

Ok. Let's be realistic when I said 40 points. Maybe I was thinking more like 20 goals and 20 assists compared to his 10 goals and 27 assists. Still the same number basically I know but like everyone or myself thought he would/should have put the puck in the net more. Maybe 50-60 points is more realistic I don't know. Funny thing is I don't really remember him having that many assists. Still his cap hit isn't worth it. He's small, weak with the puck, gets knocked around all over the ice. I mean obviously his trade value isn't worth much right now. I don't mind him except for the fact that he jumped ship to the KHL when we needed him and then said "oh" I think I'll come back now and play in NHL.

Yeah, I get it.... and I think saying '20 goals' or '50-60 points' as you said, would be a better bar to set. I guess the KHL thing didn't really bother me as much as it did some others. Anyway, I'm trying to look at it more positively. Let's face it, Hudler is probably going to be on this roster next season. There IS reason to believe that he could return to 07-08 form this coming year and score your 20 goals and 50-60 points. As I said, no KHL adjustment period, etc. If he does that, then great - everyone will be happy to be surpised (since it seems that everyone is of the mind that he will go downhill from last year instead of up, considering all of the negative Hudler talk). If he doesn't... well, it's only for one more year at the $2.875 million. Was I disappointed in his play last year? Definitely. But, this switching back and forth from NHL to KHL is a relatively new deal. I feel like that was a huge part of the reason for his dropoff. He wasn't any smaller or weaker in 07-08 when everyone was happy with his production. I believe that he deserves the chance to rebound to that form this season, and that he deserves our support in attempting to do so.

Yeah, I get it.... and I think saying '20 goals' or '50-60 points' as you said, would be a better bar to set. I guess the KHL thing didn't really bother me as much as it did some others. Anyway, I'm trying to look at it more positively. Let's face it, Hudler is probably going to be on this roster next season. There IS reason to believe that he could return to 07-08 form this coming year and score your 20 goals and 50-60 points. As I said, no KHL adjustment period, etc. If he does that, then great - everyone will be happy to be surpised (since it seems that everyone is of the mind that he will go downhill from last year instead of up, considering all of the negative Hudler talk). If he doesn't... well, it's only for one more year at the $2.875 million. Was I disappointed in his play last year? Definitely. But, this switching back and forth from NHL to KHL is a relatively new deal. I feel like that was a huge part of the reason for his dropoff. He wasn't any smaller or weaker in 07-08 when everyone was happy with his production. I believe that he deserves the chance to rebound to that form this season, and that he deserves our support in attempting to do so.

I agree with you 100%. You know if somehow he does turn it around maybe Kenny might re-sign him who knows? But also if this upcoming season he performs like you said like the 07-08 Hudler, his trade value will go up and things could get interesting. I just don't think Hudler fits on our team anymore but anyone wearing the Winged Wheel has my support 100%, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best from Huds this up-coming season. :D

I agree with you 100%. You know if somehow he does turn it around maybe Kenny might re-sign him who knows? But also if this upcoming season he performs like you said like the 07-08 Hudler, his trade value will go up and things could get interesting. I just don't think Hudler fits on our team anymore but anyone wearing the Winged Wheel has my support 100%, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best from Huds this up-coming season. :D

I agree with both you and Barabbas. I would not have been bothered it they'd been able to trade Hudler. Or even if they still might. Point is, right now he's a Red Wing and I'm a Red Wings' fan and I'm going to hope and pray that if he stays, that he has a great year. Right along with all other players on my team. Why the hell not??!

What's the point of ripping and tearing any player on MY team? Where does it get me except higher blood pressure and maybe a point for about 5 minutes about my astute brilliance in bitching about said player from those who are equally as self-centered.

I have never understood this kind of thinking. Nope, not even my own when I was ripping on Rafalski. That was SO wrong. And short-sighted. And selfish. And pointless! :ph34r:

In 2008-09 he had 23 goals and 34 assists. Sure, a higher assists to goal ratio last year. But a big difference is that he started the season in a slump with other slumping players, and then when he served in more of a playmaker role, with his peak alongside Datsyuk and Cleary (both scoring more goals than assists during that period). So he spent most of his season as a playmaker.

I am thinking the reason we are unable to unload him is that he is knocked off the puck WAY to easy... The guy is little and is VERY easy to move...

Give me a hard working Canadian boy any day over his lazy butt...

I'll place a call to Switzerland and get Stacy Roest on the first flight over. Haven't seen many harder working Canadian players, and a guy with his speed and tenacity would match up very well with Helm.

In 2008-09 he had 23 goals and 34 assists. Sure, a higher assists to goal ratio last year. But a big difference is that he started the season in a slump with other slumping players, and then when he served in more of a playmaker role, with his peak alongside Datsyuk and Cleary (both scoring more goals than assists during that period). So he spent most of his season as a playmaker.

I'll place a call to Switzerland and get Stacy Roest on the first flight over. Haven't seen many harder working Canadian players, and a guy with his speed and tenacity would match up very well with Helm.

Other teams push him off the puck and Babcock sat Jiri a few times for his lack of effort if I remember correctly.

Dan Cleary works hard for his size, as did Draper and neither are as much as a "pushover" as your boy Hudler.

Edited by Rivalred

I am thinking the reason we are unable to unload him is that he is knocked off the puck WAY to easy... The guy is little and is VERY easy to move...

Give me a hard working Canadian boy any day over his lazy butt...

Marty St. Louis is small also but I'd take him in a heartbeat. It's not about size, it's about heart. That Russsian guy that we have is pretty goos to.

Stop with the anti-European crap. That got old 10 years ago...

All this hating on Hudler is getting really annoying quite frankly. Was he good last season? No he was not great, but after one mediocre season should we really trade him away? I was watching clips from games from the year we won the Cup, and the year in 2009 (I miss those days oof being STACKED) and I remembered how good Hudler can be, and at key times in big games too... I think it would be dumb to trade away Hudler. In 2009 playoffs, PAVEL DATSYUK was kind of a ghost (and he is my favorite player of all time not named Nicklas Lidstrom) and some people were actually wanting him to get moved. Since than, Pavel has showed us why he is the best player in the world, and he had his best playoffs ever this season.

I think Hudler needs to be given a chance to redeem himself this season because IMO any success at winning a cup this season will depend on Hudler being his old self, and good years from the Eurotwins and Captain Nick. Give the guy a break, and instead of ragging on him, how about you hope for the best so that our team can be the best.

Marty St. Louis is small also but I'd take him in a heartbeat. It's not about size, it's about heart. That Russsian guy that we have is pretty goos to.

Stop with the anti-European crap. That got old 10 years ago...

Ahhhh, did we all forget SARCASM :lol:

All this hating on Hudler is getting really annoying quite frankly. Was he good last season? No he was not great, but after one mediocre season should we really trade him away? I was watching clips from games from the year we won the Cup, and the year in 2009 (I miss those days oof being STACKED) and I remembered how good Hudler can be, and at key times in big games too... I think it would be dumb to trade away Hudler. In 2009 playoffs, PAVEL DATSYUK was kind of a ghost (and he is my favorite player of all time not named Nicklas Lidstrom) and some people were actually wanting him to get moved. Since than, Pavel has showed us why he is the best player in the world, and he had his best playoffs ever this season.

I think Hudler needs to be given a chance to redeem himself this season because IMO any success at winning a cup this season will depend on Hudler being his old self, and good years from the Eurotwins and Captain Nick. Give the guy a break, and instead of ragging on him, how about you hope for the best so that our team can be the best.

Umm... Pavel is a ghost in the 2009 playoffs?

Defensively? Offensively? Had a lot of turnovers?

Edited by Rivalred

Wings_fanatic how dare you make valid points about Jiri Hudler. I mean why wouldn't you trade away someone who had one bad season?? Hell, people are talking about just cutting him forget a trade. This is probably the worst undeserved whipping boy on LGW ever.

To rivalred, yes Pavel was not very effective in the 2009 playoffs POINTWISE, though he was still good for many other elements. But my point was, a lot of posters on here were suggesting the possibility of maybe moving Pavs! That was obsured and that is when I stopped taking some of what people said on here seriously... because I luv the Wings and I like Wings fans, but I find a lot of Wings fans on here have 2 sides to them. They LOVE players when they play good, but if the player underperforms JUST ONCE, they better get a name change and go live somewhere secluded because Wings fans will be on their case! My point is, we cannot always win, or always be good, and we have to remember that these players that we love to see win are only human. IMO Hudler will rebound and have a strong season, and most of you guys will become his number 1 fan...

ANd to Kylee, thank you for your support... it is nice to know there are other WIngs fans on here who don't turn on their team for every little problem

Other teams push him off the puck and Babcock sat Jiri a few times for his lack of effort if I remember correctly.

Dan Cleary works hard for his size, as did Draper and neither are as much as a "pushover" as your boy Hudler.

Huds was scratched for lack of production. Not for lack of effort.

I am a Wings fan and a Hockey fan, but I am also realistic....

Bringing up Pavel in a Hudler thread is like comparing apples and oranges, yes they are both fruit (Big Fat Greek Wedding line), but that is about it...

Pavel is very effective defensively/offensively, and has been consistent...

Hudler, well.... We will not go there as what needed to be said has been written already.

We need 2 way players who want to be here and play hockey, plain n simple... Guys who will give their all every night... Ones who can play defense, not be knocked off the puck, can take face-offs, work the boards, not turn over the puck a lot, and set up goals accordingly.

Hudler is not the worst guy out there, but there are better for the money who will be more productive in certain situations.

Huds was scratched for lack of production. Not for lack of effort.

Usually when a player puts forth effort, there is production... His production only increased when it seemed he was putting forth more effort...

For some reason I think BabCOCK is the type of coach who values effort... As long as he thinks you are conditioning/trying your hardest, he will give you a chance even if you struggle putting up points. Hence why he is one of the best coaches (ie - see the history of Commie and Babs)

Edited by Rivalred