• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Wings re-sign Eaves to 3-year, $3.6m contract

Rate this topic

Great, rip up the contract Kenny. Sign him to even more money.

I'm not saying this :) Just excellent contract for Detroit as a team. Looks like Eaves accepted less to get a bit longer term.

I am very happy with this signing, but as has been stated previously, we are NOT out of Bizzaro World; still trying to wrap my head around Big Rig's contract and thinking Eaves is worth more. I won't complain about paying him less, I just can't make sense out of these contracts next to each other.

Welcome Back, Patty!

I like Eaves a lot, but I'm surprised how many people think this is a steal. Ericsson's contract really shouldn't be a reference point because the UFA market for D-men is often inflated, and given the Wings current defensive lineup they really couldn't afford to let him leave. I'm the one here usually defending Ericsson that he isn't as awful as people make him out to be, and even I don't think he's worth that contract. But you can't really compare a forward's and defenseman's contracts.

With Eaves, without even looking to the minors or to other teams, Holland has got guys like Draper and Miller waiting to be signed who can fulfill a similar role.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I could have sworn Aaron Asham just got $775,000 this year from the Penguins. Call me crazy, but I think we need more of that on the fourth line than yet another guy who doesn't fight.

Really, Aaron Asham is a better hockey player than Eaves? really? really?

You clearly have jumped off the edge of crazyland, I'm done debating this with you...

and again, I'll state - he was underpaid the previous two years.

You either have a personal hang up with him, or you just are delusional as to what a player of his ability is worth, for you to even try and argue this isn't an amazing signing.

Signing fourth-line guys to twice their previous contracts for three year deals when they are on the decline (or at least not on an improvement swing) is as asinine as giving Ericsson $3.25 million/year.

If I have a personal hang-up with him, then you have to admit you were wrong about what you're seeing, because the facts really don't back it up.

I could have sworn Aaron Asham just got $775,000 this year from the Penguins. Call me crazy, but I think we need more of that on the fourth line than yet another guy who doesn't fight.

Was that your segway into an enforcer debate?

Eaves put up nearly twice as many points and took 1/3 less penalties in about 30% more games than Asham. It's not like its a 3.2/yr deal, it's 1.2.

Really, Aaron Asham is a better hockey player than Eaves? really? really?

You clearly have jumped off the edge of crazyland, I'm done debating this with you...

I don't think he's a better player. I think he's more of what we need than Eaves for three years, and is less of a cap hit. What Eaves does is replacable.

Signing fourth-line guys to twice their previous contracts for three year deals when they are on the decline (or at least not on an improvement swing) is as asinine as giving Ericsson $3.25 million/year.

If I have a personal hang-up with him, then you have to admit you were wrong about what you're seeing, because the facts really don't back it up.

He hasn't even close to touched his peak yet, it is WELL known that the prime age of an NHL player is 29-32

stats≠facts

So yes, the FACTS do back it up and those facts would be watching him play... keep swinging though...

Eaves put up nearly twice as many points and took 1/3 less penalties in about 30% more games than Asham. It's not like its a 3.2/yr deal, it's 1.2.

Just looking at last year's stats in isolation, yes. But since the lockout, Asham has had 4 20-point seasons. And the great thing is, you can find guys like that in the AHL if you need them. And we do need them way more than we need a locked-in Eaves.

Guest Hatethedrake!

3 years $1.2 million per

Great Deal! Welcome Back Patty!

RT @CraigCustance: Patrick Eaves deal done - $1.2 million per season for three years.

I approve this signing. Good work Kenny. :thumbup:

If we were hurting for the cap space, then the 400k we're debating could potentially be an issue, but it's not. Sure we can find another guy to fill the role, but why go looking for someone new when you have a perfectly capable fourth-liner that already fits in and plays the system like a team player?

I like Eaves a lot, but I'm surprised how many people think this is a steal. Ericsson's contract really shouldn't be a reference point because the UFA market for D-men is often inflated, and given the Wings current defensive lineup they really couldn't afford to let him leave. I'm the one here usually defending Ericsson that he isn't as awful as people make him out to be, and even I don't think he's worth that contract. But you can't really compare a forward's and defenseman's contracts.

With Eaves, without even looking to the minors or to other teams, Holland has got guys like Draper and Miller waiting to be signed who can fulfill a similar role.

I have nothing against Ericcson, but he's wildly inconsistent. He'll make a really smart play one second and then follow it up on the same shift with two head-scratchers. I get that the pickins' are slim for Dmen, but even given those circumstances, he's overpaid. By a lot.

Also, I have some mad Draper love and merely like Eaves, but even I would choose Eaves over Drapes for the next 3 years.

What I wouldn't give to be alone in a room with Holland with some sodium pentothol.

You're overlooking a couple other stats. Asham only played 44 games this season. Points-wise in the past they're very similar. Probably good for 20-ish if they stay healthy.

And 30 of Asham's penalty minutes were fighting majors, so he has 16 non-fighting PIM compared to Eaves 14.

The biggest differences are Eaves plays a lot of minutes on the PK and their age. Asham is 33 and has had a lot of injuries do to his style of play.

I'm not saying I want Asham over Eaves, but it's not the ridiculous argument you make it out to be. And Asham gettin 750k is a better reference point for Eaves than using Ericsson's contract.

He hasn't even close to touched his peak yet, it is WELL known that the prime age of an NHL player is 29-32

stats≠facts

So yes, the FACTS do back it up and those facts would be watching him play... keep swinging though...

Facts don't equal stats? I take it you're not a scientist.

So, his 22 fewer hits and 17 fewer blocked shots in roughly the same amount of games mean he's more valuable now than he was 12 months ago? I can't believe how valuable he's going to be with 5 blocked shots and 18 hits in three years! $5 million a year, Kenny!

I have nothing against Ericcson, but he's wildly inconsistent. He'll make a really smart play one second and then follow it up on the same shift with two head-scratchers. I get that the pickins' are slim for Dmen, but even given those circumstances, he's overpaid. By a lot.

Also, I have some mad Draper love and merely like Eaves, but even I would choose Eaves over Drapes for the next 3 years.

What I wouldn't give to be alone in a room with Holland with some sodium pentothol.

Like I said, I think Ericsson is definitely overpaid. And I'd take Eaves over Draper too. But if the Wings had two serviceable D-men sitting around still hoping to be signed by the Wings, there's no way Ericsson gets that contract. And for Eaves that was the case. Holland could pick up the phone and start calling Miller's agent as he's negotiating with Eaves.

This is great, Eaves was one of my favourite players last season. As many have said this really shows just how badly we're overpaying Ericsson though, but looking at all the D-man signings this offseason it feels like everyone is paying crazy amounts for them right now.

Facts don't equal stats? I take it you're not a scientist.

So, his 22 fewer hits and 17 fewer blocked shots in roughly the same amount of games mean he's more valuable now than he was 12 months ago? I can't believe how valuable he's going to be with 5 blocked shots and 18 hits in three years! $5 million a year, Kenny!

you're just comical at this point.

You're overlooking a couple other stats. Asham only played 44 games this season. Points-wise in the past they're very similar. Probably good for 20-ish if they stay healthy.

I did take number of games played into account. The fact he played 44 games means he's either not as useful to the team because he's sitting in the press box or spent too much time on the trainers table. They are comparable, to an extent. If we're using facts correctly in this thread, isn't Asham past his prime anyways? On the decline?

I did take number of games played into account. The fact he played 44 games means he's either not as useful to the team because he's sitting in the press box or spent too much time on the trainers table. They are comparable, to an extent. If we're using facts correctly in this thread, isn't Asham past his prime anyways? On the decline?

Those are opinions, actually.

Like I said, I'm not wishing the Wings signed Asham, but he's a 3rd/4th line guy like Eaves who'll score you some goals. Asham will provide toughness whereas Eaves provides PK. I wouldn't take Asham over Eaves, but I wouldn't have minded having him instead of Miller either. My main point is that it wasn't some lame enforcer argument. Asham as a reference point for Eaves makes some sense.

Guest echos myron

Eaves - 2:41 SH / Team PPGA: 17

Miller - 2:13 SH/ Team PPGA: 13

Helm, Kronwall, Stuart, Lidstrom, and Salei were all on ice for 20 or more powerplay goals. Eaves had basically the same SHTOI as Lidstrom, same goes for Miller and Salei.

Edited by echos myron

These are all opinions. Claiming one player is better than the other is an opinion relative to the criteria they are being judged on. I didn't bring the fighting up. My main point is, 1.2 is a great deal for a 4th liner that already knows and fits in with our system. Why gamble on someone else to save minimal cap dollars we are not stressing over when we have someone perfectly capable already?