Wings re-sign Eaves to 3-year, $3.6m contract

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 wingsftw

wingsftw

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

This takes the sting off of the Ericsson contract a bit.... just a tad though. I'm still pissed about that one!!

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

I feel like this:

Posted Image

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#23 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

After our brief foray into Bizarro World, we're back on track. Welcome back, Patty!
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#24 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Because he was severely underpaid last year... you could not be more off base here.

Eaves is an incredibly versatile player and can fill multiple roles, great team guy, kills penalties - Eaves, Cleary, etc are the types of guys you NEED to win cups. period.

Woo-hoo, Stanley Cup here we come 'cause we got a fourth liner who can skate fast. :rolleyes:

Let's re-sign all the guys who helped us get the 17th best PK in the league last year.

What did he do this year more than the last one? Apart from being part of a thin, seriously inflated market?

This takes the sting off of the Ericsson contract a bit.... just a tad though. I'm still pissed about that one!!

At least we actually NEED a blueline. Eaves doesn't do anything 40 guys in the AHL could do for half the price.

#25 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Solid deal for both sides. Kenny won this one though, as Eaves continued to prove his worth especially when the injury bug hit.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#26 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Great signing, Eaves is a TRUE Wing! Not trying to rape us on the contract like some other player that will remain unnamed, and actually signing for less than he is worth, especially in this climate.

#27 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Woo-hoo, Stanley Cup here we come 'cause we got a fourth liner who can skate fast. :rolleyes:

Let's re-sign all the guys who helped us get the 17th best PK in the league last year.

What did he do this year more than the last one? Apart from being part of a thin, seriously inflated market?

At least we actually NEED a blueline. Eaves doesn't do anything 40 guys in the AHL could do for half the price.

and how many of the goals against on the PK were when he was on the ice? Because I remember very few of them...

he blocks shots, hits, skates very well, has a hell of a shot AND has good vision, you'd have to be blind to not notice his value OR how much of a value he is at only 1.2...

He is more than a 4th liner, he's just playing a 4th liner role here...

Edited by stevkrause, 01 July 2011 - 10:04 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#28 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

I'm going to have to insist that my 8 yr old play defence position.

Ericsson at $3.25M/yr, Wiz at $5.5M/yr ... Eaves at $1.2M/yr ??

Edited by RedWingsRox, 01 July 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#29 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

Great signing by Kenny. Good depth and I think Patty will keep getting better the longer his is with the team. :clap: :clap:

and how many of the goals against on the PK were when he was on the ice? Because I remember very few of them...

he blocks shots, hits, skates very well, has a hell of a shot AND has good vision, you'd have to be blind to not notice his value OR how much of a value he is at only 1.2...

I couldn't agree more and part of his value is that he is willing to play on the 4th line with no complaints or attidtude and just goes out and plays hard every shift no matter what line he is put on.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#30 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Great signing by Kenny. Good depth and I think Patty will keep getting better the longer his is with the team. :clap: :clap:

Dead on, he's still young and is only cracking the surface of what he's capable of... as I've said all along, he has all the tools to be a consistent 20 goal scorer!

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#31 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

I think that's an exaggeration, but even if not, do the Wings have any of those guys? If those guys do turn in the type of performance Eaves did, then they'll end up getting paid what Eaves does now. Don't let a quality guy walk just to see if win the roll of the dice on the next guy.

There may be many like him, but this one is ours.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

So Ken's head isn't completely up his ass. Good move.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

So Ken's head isn't completely up his ass. Good move.

1/2 way stuck ... c'mon, Howard at $2M/yr, Ericsson at $3.25 ... Ericcson's defence will have to make Howard work that much more harder. If the numbers were switched between Howard and Ericcson, I wouldn't be as upset.

#34 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Why is he getting almost twice what he made last year? Bad signing, Kenny. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Don't be stupid. Ericsson's signing was a bad signing, this is phenominal. Eaves can play on any line, and given the opportunity, can score 20+ goals easy.

He's still young, too.

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

1/2 way stuck ... c'mon, Howard at $2M/yr, Ericsson at $3.25 ... Ericcson's defence will have to make Howard work that much more harder. If the numbers were switched between Howard and Ericcson, I wouldn't be as upset.

Well its been said here before: To whom much is given, much is expected.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Well, that's overstating it, but I do agree that his role is definitely more easily replaceable, hence the contract. Especially when you consider Draper is sitting around waiting to sign still.

That being said, it's great to have Eaves back. Yes there are other player who could do what he does for 13 minutes a game, but I'm glad he's a Red Wing.

#37 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

Don't be stupid. Ericsson's signing was a bad signing, this is phenominal. Eaves can play on any line, and given the opportunity, can score 20+ goals easy.

He's still young, too.

This signing is such a bargain it's not even funny with the current market for FA's... I don't know how ANYONE could, ANYTHING but love this deal...

I expect this contract to be an absolute steal by the end of it.....

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#38 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm going to have to insist that my 8 yr old play defence position.

Ericsson at $3.25M/yr, Wiz at $5.5M/yr ... Eaves at $1.2M/yr ??

No s***, right?

Its just mind blowing the kind of retarded contracts Dmen have gotten recently, then you have someone like Eaves getting just over a mil?

#39 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Does it?

I just can't imagine how pissed off Howard, and Kronner is today.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#40 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Try to keep the argument to facts, not anecdotal stuff that the facts can defeat.

I'm not denying he sometimes throws hits or sometimes blocks shots. But stats say he doesn't actually block shots or hit better 2010-11 than he did in 2009-10, in which he received a modest $250,000 raise.

2009-10 hits: 128
2010-11 hits: 106

2009-10 blocked shots: 44
2010-11 blocked shots: 27

2009-10 Wings PK rank: 10th
2010-11 Wings PK rank: 17th

Again I'll ask: What did he do that gives him significantly more money this coming (three) year(s) than the last two?