• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Underpaid by 800K. 2M per year would be fair.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#42 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

I am very happy with this signing, but as has been stated previously, we are NOT out of Bizzaro World; still trying to wrap my head around Big Rig's contract and thinking Eaves is worth more. I won't complain about paying him less, I just can't make sense out of these contracts next to each other.
Welcome Back, Patty!
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#43 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Does it?

I just can't imagine how pissed off Howard, and Kronner is today.

Pretty much. It's sad to see that Eaves gets peanuts and Ericsson cashes in.
That said, it's great to have Eaves back! I can't believe that the same GM made both of these deals. I thought Eaves deserved 2M/yr.

Edited by Reds4Life, 01 July 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#44 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

this is more kenny-like

welcome back patty!!
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#45 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Don't be stupid. Ericsson's signing was a bad signing, this is phenominal. Eaves can play on any line, and given the opportunity, can score 20+ goals easy.

He's still young, too.

I hate to be the crapstain on this Eaves-gasm, but he's 27 so he's not terribly young (I don't expect great improvement on the core, goals-and-assists numbers), and if he's playing Hudler minutes, while Mursak, Tatar and Nyquist rot in GR, we're in deep trouble.

#46 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Again I'll ask: What did he do that gives him significantly more money this coming (three) year(s) than the last two?

Stats don't tell the whole story. There is also the thing about the cap increasing by about 6 million...

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#47 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Underpaid by 800K. 2M per year would be fair.

Great, rip up the contract Kenny. Sign him to even more money.

#48 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Try to keep the argument to facts, not anecdotal stuff that the facts can defeat.

I'm not denying he sometimes throws hits or sometimes blocks shots. But stats say he doesn't actually block shots or hit better 2010-11 than he did in 2009-10, in which he received a modest $250,000 raise.

2009-10 hits: 128
2010-11 hits: 106

2009-10 blocked shots: 44
2010-11 blocked shots: 27

2009-10 Wings PK rank: 10th
2010-11 Wings PK rank: 17th

Again I'll ask: What did he do that gives him significantly more money this coming (three) year(s) than the last two?

and again, I'll state - he was underpaid the previous two years.

You either have a personal hang up with him, or you just are delusional as to what a player of his ability is worth, for you to even try and argue this isn't an amazing signing.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#49 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Does it?

I just can't imagine how pissed off Howard, and Kronner is today.

Agreed.

Not only does this NOT take the sting off the E contract, it makes it sting a whole hell of a lot more.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is going to f*** with the other Wings' heads, and mess up team morale, knowing that most of them signed bargain contracts to help the team, while a money hungry bum like E gets a ridiculous 3.25 mil undeservedly thrown at him.

#50 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

Stats don't tell the whole story. There is also the thing about the cap increasing by about 6 million...

I could have sworn Aaron Asham just got $775,000 this year from the Penguins. Call me crazy, but I think we need more of that on the fourth line than yet another guy who doesn't fight.

#51 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Great, rip up the contract Kenny. Sign him to even more money.

I'm not saying this :) Just excellent contract for Detroit as a team. Looks like Eaves accepted less to get a bit longer term.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,251 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

I am very happy with this signing, but as has been stated previously, we are NOT out of Bizzaro World; still trying to wrap my head around Big Rig's contract and thinking Eaves is worth more. I won't complain about paying him less, I just can't make sense out of these contracts next to each other.
Welcome Back, Patty!

I like Eaves a lot, but I'm surprised how many people think this is a steal. Ericsson's contract really shouldn't be a reference point because the UFA market for D-men is often inflated, and given the Wings current defensive lineup they really couldn't afford to let him leave. I'm the one here usually defending Ericsson that he isn't as awful as people make him out to be, and even I don't think he's worth that contract. But you can't really compare a forward's and defenseman's contracts.

With Eaves, without even looking to the minors or to other teams, Holland has got guys like Draper and Miller waiting to be signed who can fulfill a similar role.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 July 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#53 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

I could have sworn Aaron Asham just got $775,000 this year from the Penguins. Call me crazy, but I think we need more of that on the fourth line than yet another guy who doesn't fight.

Really, Aaron Asham is a better hockey player than Eaves? really? really?

You clearly have jumped off the edge of crazyland, I'm done debating this with you...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#54 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

and again, I'll state - he was underpaid the previous two years.

You either have a personal hang up with him, or you just are delusional as to what a player of his ability is worth, for you to even try and argue this isn't an amazing signing.

Signing fourth-line guys to twice their previous contracts for three year deals when they are on the decline (or at least not on an improvement swing) is as asinine as giving Ericsson $3.25 million/year.

If I have a personal hang-up with him, then you have to admit you were wrong about what you're seeing, because the facts really don't back it up.

#55 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Was that your segway into an enforcer debate?

Eaves put up nearly twice as many points and took 1/3 less penalties in about 30% more games than Asham. It's not like its a 3.2/yr deal, it's 1.2.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#56 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Really, Aaron Asham is a better hockey player than Eaves? really? really?

You clearly have jumped off the edge of crazyland, I'm done debating this with you...

I don't think he's a better player. I think he's more of what we need than Eaves for three years, and is less of a cap hit. What Eaves does is replacable.

#57 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Signing fourth-line guys to twice their previous contracts for three year deals when they are on the decline (or at least not on an improvement swing) is as asinine as giving Ericsson $3.25 million/year.

If I have a personal hang-up with him, then you have to admit you were wrong about what you're seeing, because the facts really don't back it up.

He hasn't even close to touched his peak yet, it is WELL known that the prime age of an NHL player is 29-32

stats≠facts

So yes, the FACTS do back it up and those facts would be watching him play... keep swinging though...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#58 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

Eaves put up nearly twice as many points and took 1/3 less penalties in about 30% more games than Asham. It's not like its a 3.2/yr deal, it's 1.2.

Just looking at last year's stats in isolation, yes. But since the lockout, Asham has had 4 20-point seasons. And the great thing is, you can find guys like that in the AHL if you need them. And we do need them way more than we need a locked-in Eaves.

#59 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

3 years $1.2 million per

Great Deal! Welcome Back Patty!

RT @CraigCustance: Patrick Eaves deal done - $1.2 million per season for three years.

I approve this signing. Good work Kenny. :thumbup:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#60 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

point. set. match.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here