• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

If we were hurting for the cap space, then the 400k we're debating could potentially be an issue, but it's not. Sure we can find another guy to fill the role, but why go looking for someone new when you have a perfectly capable fourth-liner that already fits in and plays the system like a team player?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#62 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

I like Eaves a lot, but I'm surprised how many people think this is a steal. Ericsson's contract really shouldn't be a reference point because the UFA market for D-men is often inflated, and given the Wings current defensive lineup they really couldn't afford to let him leave. I'm the one here usually defending Ericsson that he isn't as awful as people make him out to be, and even I don't think he's worth that contract. But you can't really compare a forward's and defenseman's contracts.

With Eaves, without even looking to the minors or to other teams, Holland has got guys like Draper and Miller waiting to be signed who can fulfill a similar role.

I have nothing against Ericcson, but he's wildly inconsistent. He'll make a really smart play one second and then follow it up on the same shift with two head-scratchers. I get that the pickins' are slim for Dmen, but even given those circumstances, he's overpaid. By a lot.
Also, I have some mad Draper love and merely like Eaves, but even I would choose Eaves over Drapes for the next 3 years.
What I wouldn't give to be alone in a room with Holland with some sodium pentothol.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Was that your segway into an enforcer debate?

Eaves put up nearly twice as many points and took 1/3 less penalties in about 30% more games than Asham. It's not like its a 3.2/yr deal, it's 1.2.

You're overlooking a couple other stats. Asham only played 44 games this season. Points-wise in the past they're very similar. Probably good for 20-ish if they stay healthy.

And 30 of Asham's penalty minutes were fighting majors, so he has 16 non-fighting PIM compared to Eaves 14.

The biggest differences are Eaves plays a lot of minutes on the PK and their age. Asham is 33 and has had a lot of injuries do to his style of play.

I'm not saying I want Asham over Eaves, but it's not the ridiculous argument you make it out to be. And Asham gettin 750k is a better reference point for Eaves than using Ericsson's contract.

#64 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

He hasn't even close to touched his peak yet, it is WELL known that the prime age of an NHL player is 29-32

stats≠facts

So yes, the FACTS do back it up and those facts would be watching him play... keep swinging though...

Facts don't equal stats? I take it you're not a scientist.

So, his 22 fewer hits and 17 fewer blocked shots in roughly the same amount of games mean he's more valuable now than he was 12 months ago? I can't believe how valuable he's going to be with 5 blocked shots and 18 hits in three years! $5 million a year, Kenny!

#65 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

I have nothing against Ericcson, but he's wildly inconsistent. He'll make a really smart play one second and then follow it up on the same shift with two head-scratchers. I get that the pickins' are slim for Dmen, but even given those circumstances, he's overpaid. By a lot.
Also, I have some mad Draper love and merely like Eaves, but even I would choose Eaves over Drapes for the next 3 years.
What I wouldn't give to be alone in a room with Holland with some sodium pentothol.

Like I said, I think Ericsson is definitely overpaid. And I'd take Eaves over Draper too. But if the Wings had two serviceable D-men sitting around still hoping to be signed by the Wings, there's no way Ericsson gets that contract. And for Eaves that was the case. Holland could pick up the phone and start calling Miller's agent as he's negotiating with Eaves.

#66 Cevari

Cevari

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

This is great, Eaves was one of my favourite players last season. As many have said this really shows just how badly we're overpaying Ericsson though, but looking at all the D-man signings this offseason it feels like everyone is paying crazy amounts for them right now.

#67 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I will say this a not a good but a GREAT signing! Plus it was only $200,000 more per year then I thought he'd get.

#68 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Facts don't equal stats? I take it you're not a scientist.

So, his 22 fewer hits and 17 fewer blocked shots in roughly the same amount of games mean he's more valuable now than he was 12 months ago? I can't believe how valuable he's going to be with 5 blocked shots and 18 hits in three years! $5 million a year, Kenny!

you're just comical at this point.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#69 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Great job, Kenny! Great contract! Patty is an underrated player, perfect 4th line guy.

Edited by Jusek, 01 July 2011 - 10:43 AM.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#70 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Kenny put down the Jack Daniels and got back to work this morning. Good signing.

#NOMOREKINDL

#71 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

You're overlooking a couple other stats. Asham only played 44 games this season. Points-wise in the past they're very similar. Probably good for 20-ish if they stay healthy.

I did take number of games played into account. The fact he played 44 games means he's either not as useful to the team because he's sitting in the press box or spent too much time on the trainers table. They are comparable, to an extent. If we're using facts correctly in this thread, isn't Asham past his prime anyways? On the decline?

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#72 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

It's nice to get him locked in. I wonder if Miller will be less apt to sign now, considering he may not have a guaranteed spot?

#73 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

I did take number of games played into account. The fact he played 44 games means he's either not as useful to the team because he's sitting in the press box or spent too much time on the trainers table. They are comparable, to an extent. If we're using facts correctly in this thread, isn't Asham past his prime anyways? On the decline?

Those are opinions, actually.

Like I said, I'm not wishing the Wings signed Asham, but he's a 3rd/4th line guy like Eaves who'll score you some goals. Asham will provide toughness whereas Eaves provides PK. I wouldn't take Asham over Eaves, but I wouldn't have minded having him instead of Miller either. My main point is that it wasn't some lame enforcer argument. Asham as a reference point for Eaves makes some sense.

#74 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Eaves - 2:41 SH / Team PPGA: 17
Miller - 2:13 SH/ Team PPGA: 13

Helm, Kronwall, Stuart, Lidstrom, and Salei were all on ice for 20 or more powerplay goals. Eaves had basically the same SHTOI as Lidstrom, same goes for Miller and Salei.

Edited by echos myron, 01 July 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#75 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

These are all opinions. Claiming one player is better than the other is an opinion relative to the criteria they are being judged on. I didn't bring the fighting up. My main point is, 1.2 is a great deal for a 4th liner that already knows and fits in with our system. Why gamble on someone else to save minimal cap dollars we are not stressing over when we have someone perfectly capable already?

#76 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Also of note: Abdelkader and Ericsson both averaged around a minute of SH time, yet were still in the range of PPGA as Eaves and Miller.

#77 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Great signing at a very nice number. Nice work Kenny.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#78 dteowner

dteowner

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

With the cap going up and Eaves being a known quantity (unlike most 4th line plugs we could have gotten instead), that's probably about the right price. Probably not cause for wild celebration, but a solid contract for a solid player.

#79 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

This deal reeks sign and trade.

I have a sneaky suspicion Holland sat him down and told him that he'd get him over $3.5 million @ 3 years but he will be used as a trade asset. I also he explained to Ericsson that he would be a trade asset if he does not progress.

#80 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Great insight there Heaten.