• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Jackets sign Wisniewski: 6-years $33-million ($5.5m/yr)

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

So its ok to overpay Ericsson because we have cap space but not to 'overpay' Wiz ? Sorry, but Wiz is way better than Ericsson if you haven't already noticed. Wiz at 5.5 >> Ericsson at 3.25.

It's going to be hard to rationalize with irrationally upset posters who, every year, like Leafs fans, want to sign every player at the top of the UFA list or they're going to beat their chest at their team's GM.

That extra 2.25m gives the Wings room for another player, and while Big E's game as horribly flawed, particularly in the postseason, he's also still developing, and likely would fetch more on the market. Overpaying is what people do, and while I can't 100% disagree that this was an overpayment of Big E, it could be worse.

Edited by Shoreline

It's going to be hard to rationalize with irrationally upset posters who, every year, like Leafs fans, want to sign every player at the top of the UFA list or they're going to beat their chest at their team's GM.

That extra 2.25m gives the Wings room for another player, and while Big E's game as horribly flawed, particularly in the postseason, he's also still developing.

Ah, the Filppula defense.

That extra 2.25m gives the Wings room for another player, and while Big E's game as horribly flawed, particularly in the postseason, he's also still developing, and likely would fetch more on the market. Overpaying is what people do, and while I can't 100% disagree that this was an overpayment of Big E, it could be worse.

The cap goes up, the salaries go up. Wiz is not overpaid imo, especially in comparison to Ericsson. We're lucky enough to get Datsyuk at 6.7 million, because if the cap was as high as it is now we would have paid him way more. In a couple years if the cap keeps going up thats a steal for Wiz, just like it is for Datsyuk.

Guest Shoreline

Ah, the Filppula defense.

Flip has been a target since the day he came up from juniors. (he was displayed on too many WJC highlights)

I will defer to "It's going to be hard to rationalize with irrationally upset posters".

Edited by Shoreline

We need a right handed shot on defense that passes well and can play the pp. Signing kaberle who is a lefty doesn't help

We need a right handed shot on defense that passes well and can play the pp. Signing kaberle who is a lefty doesn't help

1. Flip and 3rd to Caps for Wideman

2. Sign Richards

3. Trade/waive Hudler for anything

4. Sign Jovo or SOB

5. Sign Konopka

6. Sign Garon or Theo

Zetterberg - Dats - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Richards - Franzen

Eaves - Helm - Homer

Abdelkader - Konopka - Mursak/Tatar

Lids - Wideman

Kronwall - Jovo/Stuart

Stuart/SOB - Ericsson

I would hate to lose Flip - but it's the only trade value that we could move.

Richards is great player (top 6 forward) and he can play point on PP.

Wideman provides right hand DEF who can play with Lids against any line in NHL.

Konopka, good at faceoof's, gritty forward who can skate, hit and fight. Still can learn - reference: Shawn Thornton.

Nothing personal with Wisniewski but he's definitely not worth that much IMO, especially without a real trarck record. It's a reflection of the weak market and teams with cap issues over paying marginal players.

Like the obligatory Hudler dump and Konopka signing but would rather keep Flip and sign Connolly, Kaberle, White/Babchuk and Jagr.

Zetterberg - Connolly - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Datsyuk - Jagr

Cleary- Flip - Homer

Helm - Konopka - Abdelkader/Eaves

Lidstrom - Kaberle

Kronwall - Ericsson

Stuart - White/Babchuk

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

5.5 Wisniewski>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ericsson 3.25

by far....

Taken just as you put it yes but even as bad as I think the Ericsson signing is I would rather have it for 3 years than Wiz's $5.5M for 6 years.

To me

$5.5M Wisniewski for 6 years <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $3.25M Ericsson for 3 years

I wouldn't even mind paying Wiz that much for a one year (or at most 2 year) contract, just as a band-aid to stop gap our shortages in a bad FA pool year, but not for 6 years.

There is nothing wrong with what Wiz got, hes exactly what the Wings needed. Him playing against the Wings isn't going to be a fun thing this year and CBJ are going to be a pretty good team if Mason can play like he did a couple years ago.

To be fair, it's not like Wisniewski has ever punished us before. Big boost for CBJ, but the sky is hardly falling.

I was all about Wiz towards the end there, and was even hoping for Ehrhoff - but not for the years or totals they received.

So it begins. Hate to say I told you so, but the Ericsson deal makes sense now right? There's no way Wisniewski is worth that kind of money, and for 6 years!? The guy has played 6 years in the League and has only played 70+ games in a season once.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/w/wisnija01.html

The next contracts given to the UFA defencemen will be more.

BJs will regret this. Wiz is not worth that much. Not even close.

Agreed, horrible deal, but that's what the market's like this year.

I wouldn't say it's horrible. People have made the Rafalski comparison quite a bit, and I bet people would have been okay paying Rafalski that much. For a team like Columbus it's not a terrible deal. A slight overpayment but nothing really egregious. Not a Finger-type deal by any means.

However, this doesn't really make Columbus any more competitive. They need to make a lot more moves.

Have you seen what CBJ has done this off-season? They are now a possible playoff team. If they can make similar moves in the coming years, they could make a deep playoff run.

You are kidding right?

Just because they made some additions doesn't mean the team is a magical playoff contender.

You are kidding right?

Just because they made some additions doesn't mean the team is a magical playoff contender.

Every team in the West is a playoff contender.

Columbus barely made it several seasons ago, but they have a much better roster now.

They're certainly a playoff contender. Probably not a Cup contender, although you never know in today's NHL.

You are kidding right?

You predict they won't improve this year with the new additions? I can see them ending up 10-6th in the West. What makes you think they can't compete for a playoff spot?

CBJ's problem was having too many 2nd/3rd liners and too many 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen. Right now I think they contend for the playoffs, and if they can acquire another first liner and top-pairing dman next year they can be a credible playoff team.

Guest Heaten

$5.5 million is a fair deal @ a shorter term (2 yrs). But SIX YEARS!!?!?!??!?!

Six year contract makes this a bad deal, especially for a guy with no knees and health issues. Ericsson is better defensively.

You predict they won't improve this year with the new additions? I can see them ending up 10-6th in the West. What makes you think they can't compete for a playoff spot?

Sure they can "compete" for a playoff spot, but they didn't even do that last year.

Mason is still a question mark, and adding a single solid defenseman and a second line center doesn't scare me.

Sure they can "compete" for a playoff spot, but they didn't even do that last year.

Mason is still a question mark, and adding a single solid defenseman and a second line center doesn't scare me.

They certainly aren't a team that will scare anyone. Carter is a top line center though- he is top ten in goals over the past five years (cumulative I believe- on my phone so I'm not checking).

With Garon gone (bad move IMO) they need a good backup. However, they've moved forward more this off-season than in any other season and I see them contending for a playoff spot

1. Flip and 3rd to Caps for Wideman

2. Sign Richards

3. Trade/waive Hudler for anything

4. Sign Jovo or SOB

5. Sign Konopka

6. Sign Garon or Theo

Zetterberg - Dats - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Richards - Franzen

Eaves - Helm - Homer

Abdelkader - Konopka - Mursak/Tatar

Lids - Wideman

Kronwall - Jovo/Stuart

Stuart/SOB - Ericsson

I would hate to lose Flip - but it's the only trade value that we could move.

Richards is great player (top 6 forward) and he can play point on PP.

Wideman provides right hand DEF who can play with Lids against any line in NHL.

Konopka, good at faceoof's, gritty forward who can skate, hit and fight. Still can learn - reference: Shawn Thornton.

After watching this off-season so far, do you honestly believe that any of that will actually come true?