• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

I don't know what to say. That's a good price etc. but do we really need him? Mursak should be ahead of him.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#22 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I think it's been obvious for awhile that Emmerton isn't really in Detroit's plans.

Aassuming Draper and Modano are gone, that means there are 14 forwards left. I could see Hudler and Emmerton being moved in some sort of trade.

#23 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

This probably unofficially closes the door on Draper, but I'm okay with Miller. Especially at that price tag.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#24 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hard to argue with that price, but Miller is sooo redundant on this team. I have nothing against him, but we already have so many guys who can do what he does.
Posted Image

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

If Mursak outplays Miller, then Miller will be the one in the press box. Even so, .825 is nice depth. If not, then he's worth his money to play every night.

In the best scenario, the two of them compete for ice time and bring out the best in each other by upping the competition.

Edited by 55fan, 01 July 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#26 dteowner

dteowner

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

The key here is Mursak. Mursak needs to be higher in the depth chart than Miller, plan and simple. If he's not, than I'm pissed. This kid is Helm with hands... seriously, do I need to say more?!?

Exactly. Miller's a solid player and the contract is about right, but is Miller a progress stopper for our kids? I could see Miller becoming a locker room problem if he spends much time in the press box again. He didn't take it all that well last season.

#27 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

Exactly. Miller's a solid player and the contract is about right, but is Miller a progress stopper for our kids? I could see Miller becoming a locker room problem if he spends much time in the press box again. He didn't take it all that well last season.

If Mursak's progress is being stopped by Miller, then Mursak isn't all that good is he?

There's been no indication of him being a potential locker room problem. I don't recall him every complaining about being a scratch, though he did come back and play harder after.

#28 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

BARGAIN!!!

Love the effort this guy brings! Thought for sure he'd be in Buffalo.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#29 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Nonsense. No player wants to be a healthy scratch, but he did re-sign with Wings.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

I am glad eaves and miller got re-signed for multi year. But hudler must go to improve this team. I am so disappointed not getting wiz or monty, holland must have a plan, right? I would hope this is not it, just re-signing our guys and no changes, that is not his plan, is it?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#31 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Bob McKenzie Confirming DET signing Drew Miller to 2 year deal paying him $800K in first year and $850K in second year.

#32 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Bob McKenzie Confirming DET signing Drew Miller to 2 year deal paying him $800K in first year and $850K in second year.

#33 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'm glad to see Miller back, but this likely removes any possibility of Moen, Konopka, etc being signed.

#34 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

I don't like this. Unless we are trading Hudler, this seriously puts a dent in us attempting to get a top 6 guy.

Miller is a good player, but he is extremely replaceable and I would rather Mursak or Emmerton take over that role. He had better not be a permanent fixture in the lineup, unless we shake up some other players and make some moves.

Mursak will be here. I don't know why everyone is so high on Emmerton, the kid has done nothing. He's like Ritola, he'll be given a shot but probably will be waived. The Miller signing is good. In a season of terrible inconsistency Helm, Eaves and Miller were the constant overachievers.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Nice cheap signing. Wait, I mean, ZOMG the sky is falling because we signed a 12 13th forward!!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Wings will never win the cup with Drew Miller on the roster!!!!!!!!

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Another good move :thumbup:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Why no sticky? This is good news.

-Elliot

#39 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Get rid of him. Does nothing on the team... Mursak will be way better.

#40 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Get rid of him. Does nothing on the team... Mursak will be way better.

My worldview allows for a Red Wings team that has Jan Mursak and Drew Miller on it.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock