• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Wings sign D Mike Commodore to 1-year, $1m contract

Rate this topic

I don't see any reason to complain about this except if you're just being impatient and wishing it were Shea Weber instead. 1 year, 1 million = absolutely no risk. If it doesn't work out, what have we lost? If it does, great, we got someone that when he's playing well, people hate playing against him. 1 year, people - I would be very surprised if we use up all our cap space this summer and then we get the $1 million cap space back after the year. Low risk, possible high reward signing.

found this:

"Mike Babcock was without a doubt an obstacle in my career. I wanted to prove him wrong – I'm not going to lie. I used him as big-time motivation. I thought he put his best foot forward to bury me."<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">– Columbus defenseman Mike Commodore, who was a member of the Anaheim franchise for eight months when Babcock was coach of the Ducks.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25158-THNcom-Top-10-Quotes-of-the-year.html

Maybe Commodore will use this as opportunity to prove himself to Babcock and the rest of the league. I like the signing.

I wonder if Holland plans on Babcock using Ericsson on the 2nd paring with Lidstrom, and have Commy / Kindl on the 3rd paring...?

...EW... Holland better sign Ian White and surprise us by trading Hudler straight up for Weber or Doughty and then sign Richards to a $3M/year 5 year contract...

I knew there was some history between Commodore and Babcock. Sounds like it's basically Commodore holding some grudge against Babcock that Babs doesn't even remember.

Commodore could theoretically still hate Babcock's guts - it's still better than living in Columbus.

I don't really like this signing and the overpayment on ericsson's contract. But remember there is a lack of FA in the market so prices, especially for defensemen, are super inflated right now. I think we should've gone after a top-6 forward instead, but at the same time we do need to get someone from the FA market to fill up the defense. There is not much Holland can do.

I don't see any reason to complain about this except if you're just being impatient and wishing it were Shea Weber instead. 1 year, 1 million = absolutely no risk. If it doesn't work out, what have we lost? If it does, great, we got someone that when he's playing well, people hate playing against him. 1 year, people - I would be very surprised if we use up all our cap space this summer and then we get the $1 million cap space back after the year. Low risk, possible high reward signing.

This move eats up cap space but doesn't add anything to the team.

This isn't the signing I was hoping for, but it is in-line with the Wings' philosophy of taking reclamation projects. There isn't much down-side to this deal, and maybe it can turn out well. Personally, I'm indifferent right now to this signing, but there is much more room for this move to be good than there is for it to be bad.

Commodore could theoretically still hate Babcock's guts - it's still better than living in Columbus.

Have you ever spent time in Columbus? There is a very nice downtown/near downtown area and there are a few really good suburbs. I'm not sure how moving to Detroit is s huge upgrade (living-wise) over Columbus.

This move eats up cap space but doesn't add anything to the team.

Cap space for what? Who is the imaginary 27-year-old, hard-checking, 6'3", fast-skating, puck-moving, 40-point unrestricted free agent defenseman we are going to sign with this cap space? Paul Mara? You show me the magical splash that can be made this offseason and I'll show you Bigfoot. Believe me, there will be cap space left over after the offseason, and so much the better because it'll allow both trade flexibility and better activity in the market in the future. This market sucks for defensemen.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Wouldn't Souray at 1.65 be better than Commodore at 1? I have to wonder about a guy who couldn't crack the Blue Jackets line-up.

If we are going to take a chance I like the Dallas signing of Souray for 1.65 because I think he has more upside then Commodore. Souray is injury prone but I think he has a lot to prove.

Guest echos myron

Souray has been waived at least 3 times in the past season or so and is a locker room cancer.

Maybe it won't be a bad signing, but this guy is such a bad joke and a clown. He better not cause any drama. Every time he opens his mouth he's complaining about a coach or about how someone else got promoted ahead of him. This guy never works for anything, expects everything, and causes problems when he doesn't get his way. Babcock is going to eat him alive. I bet by mid-season he's on the bench for the rest of the season.

Wouldn't Souray at 1.65 be better than Commodore at 1? I have to wonder about a guy who couldn't crack the Blue Jackets line-up.

Absolutely! I just read this on the Yahoo! message board:

"The Dallas Stars have agreed to terms with D Sheldon Souray to a one-year deal worth ($1.65 million).

That's a steal. Where was Holland on this one? Kenny is getting owned, and has been for the last 3 seasons. A washed-up Mike Commodore for 1 million or Sheldon Souray for 1.65, who would you rather have?"

He makes a point.

Are we even still in the Richards sweepstakes? Or were we even in them in the first place?

It's still early.

Guest echos myron

Maybe it won't be a bad signing, but this guy is such a bad joke and a clown. He better not cause any drama. Every time he opens his mouth he's complaining about a coach or about how someone else got promoted ahead of him. This guy never works for anything, expects everything, and causes problems when he doesn't get his way. Babcock is going to eat him alive. I bet by mid-season he's on the bench for the rest of the season.

Way to extrapolate something from 7 years ago over his whole career.

Guest echos myron

I think the same can be said for Commodore.

Based on what, your dislike of him? I don't recall Commodore ever doing anything like publicly criticizing his own team's management.