• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#121 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if Holland plans on Babcock using Ericsson on the 2nd paring with Lidstrom, and have Commy / Kindl on the 3rd paring...?

#122 DatZetterfanfromSC

DatZetterfanfromSC

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

EpicFail jmho

#123 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

I knew there was some history between Commodore and Babcock. Sounds like it's basically Commodore holding some grudge against Babcock that Babs doesn't even remember.

He better show up to camp in shape though, that's for sure.

"The only thing I ever questioned about Mike was his conditioning," Babcock said. "In my mind, Mike always has been a quality guy. When he came up, I didn't think he was in condition. That's it."

He (Commodore) admits he took a poor attitude to the minors, where he spent three or four nights a week drinking. The Ducks recalled Commodore twice, but he never played in a game.

The defenseman says Babcock ripped him in the media, although he can't recall the particulars.

"Over the years, guys remember certain things about coaches, and that's fine," Babcock said. "Mike always has had a great attitude and an infectious personality."

uh, so you blame babcock but admit you were drinking 3 or 4 nights a week? Shocking that your coach would question your commitment. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

http://www.dispatch....ss&cat=&sid=101

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 July 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#124 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

take THAT columbus!
Posted Image

#125 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

uh, so you blame babcock but admit you were drinking 3 or 4 nights a week? Shocking that your coach would question your commitment. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

He was only drinking 3-4 nights a week? What a puss.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#126 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Can someone please find the photoshop of when he get checked into the Red Wings bench and someone captioned it: "This is the closest you'll ever come to being a Red Wing"

#127 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

I don't see any reason to complain about this except if you're just being impatient and wishing it were Shea Weber instead. 1 year, 1 million = absolutely no risk. If it doesn't work out, what have we lost? If it does, great, we got someone that when he's playing well, people hate playing against him. 1 year, people - I would be very surprised if we use up all our cap space this summer and then we get the $1 million cap space back after the year. Low risk, possible high reward signing.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#128 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

found this:

"Mike Babcock was without a doubt an obstacle in my career. I wanted to prove him wrong I'm not going to lie. I used him as big-time motivation. I thought he put his best foot forward to bury me."<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "> Columbus defenseman Mike Commodore, who was a member of the Anaheim franchise for eight months when Babcock was coach of the Ducks.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25158-THNcom-Top-10-Quotes-of-the-year.html

Maybe Commodore will use this as opportunity to prove himself to Babcock and the rest of the league. I like the signing.

#129 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

I wonder if Holland plans on Babcock using Ericsson on the 2nd paring with Lidstrom, and have Commy / Kindl on the 3rd paring...?

...EW... Holland better sign Ian White and surprise us by trading Hudler straight up for Weber or Doughty and then sign Richards to a $3M/year 5 year contract...

#130 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

I really hope this isnt as good as it gets this off season...

First the Ericsson signing
Now this...

I guess it cant get much worse...? ... :ph34r:
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#131 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

I knew there was some history between Commodore and Babcock. Sounds like it's basically Commodore holding some grudge against Babcock that Babs doesn't even remember.

Commodore could theoretically still hate Babcock's guts - it's still better than living in Columbus.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#132 S_Whitney

S_Whitney

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I don't really like this signing and the overpayment on ericsson's contract. But remember there is a lack of FA in the market so prices, especially for defensemen, are super inflated right now. I think we should've gone after a top-6 forward instead, but at the same time we do need to get someone from the FA market to fill up the defense. There is not much Holland can do.

#133 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Not a great signing but I guess I'll have to tolerate it for one season. So far Big Jon E is the best signing in my opnion so far. All this cap space and we are just blowing it.

#134 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Can someone please find the photoshop of when he get checked into the Red Wings bench and someone captioned it: "This is the closest you'll ever come to being a Red Wing"

Best I could find...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#135 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

I don't see any reason to complain about this except if you're just being impatient and wishing it were Shea Weber instead. 1 year, 1 million = absolutely no risk. If it doesn't work out, what have we lost? If it does, great, we got someone that when he's playing well, people hate playing against him. 1 year, people - I would be very surprised if we use up all our cap space this summer and then we get the $1 million cap space back after the year. Low risk, possible high reward signing.

This move eats up cap space but doesn't add anything to the team.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#136 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

This isn't the signing I was hoping for, but it is in-line with the Wings' philosophy of taking reclamation projects. There isn't much down-side to this deal, and maybe it can turn out well. Personally, I'm indifferent right now to this signing, but there is much more room for this move to be good than there is for it to be bad.

Commodore could theoretically still hate Babcock's guts - it's still better than living in Columbus.

Have you ever spent time in Columbus? There is a very nice downtown/near downtown area and there are a few really good suburbs. I'm not sure how moving to Detroit is s huge upgrade (living-wise) over Columbus.

#137 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Cap space for what? Who is the imaginary 27-year-old, hard-checking, 6'3", fast-skating, puck-moving, 40-point unrestricted free agent defenseman we are going to sign with this cap space? Paul Mara? You show me the magical splash that can be made this offseason and I'll show you Bigfoot. Believe me, there will be cap space left over after the offseason, and so much the better because it'll allow both trade flexibility and better activity in the market in the future. This market sucks for defensemen.
Posted Image

#138 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

It adds an experienced, big, physical bottom pairing D man. The Wings needed that.

For $1 million for $1 year, Commodore could turn out to be a bargain.

#139 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Wouldn't Souray at 1.65 be better than Commodore at 1? I have to wonder about a guy who couldn't crack the Blue Jackets line-up.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#140 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

If we are going to take a chance I like the Dallas signing of Souray for 1.65 because I think he has more upside then Commodore. Souray is injury prone but I think he has a lot to prove.