• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Wings sign D Mike Commodore to 1-year, $1m contract

Rate this topic

How much we got left salery wise

We have approximately 9.8 million dollars left in salary.

We need a top 4 d-man ($4 mil max), backup goaltender (1.5 mil max), and possibly a top 6 forward if we can pull something off (cap remainder = $4.3 million).

If we can find a taker for Hudler (Isles for Nabakov) than we'll have $2.2-2.8 million extra. We could essentially sign Richards if he'll come for 6 million.... but more than likely, a decent target would be Gagne at this point. He had a crap season in 10/11 and still put up 40 points. Pair him up with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. I hope.

Hopefully we sign White or Babchuck for short term deals around 2.5-3 million. Then we can trade Hudler to the Isles for Nabokov. And also sign Gagne for 4 million.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Simon Gagne ($4.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.825m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)

Mike Commodore ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,062,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,237,956

You can work all this out, it's all feasible. And we would still have 5 million in cap space for the trade deadline and extensions for next season. I envision Nabokov staying our backup until he's done. Babchuk signing up for 1 or 2 years and if he plays well enough, he stays. Gagne signing for 1 or 2 years as well, and same deal, if he fits in nicely and stays healthy, we retain him.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

Commodore certainly isnt a mind blowing signing, but he will be a solid replacement for Salei..

Never thought I would see the day where so many Wings fans would be upset about signing a guy who can hit and fight a bit..

Anyways, people need to stop over reacting a little, its not like Commodore is going to be the Wings only move this summer.. Just because Kenny hasnt filled in the top 4 guy and a backup goalie yet doesn't mean the world is ending. It's only July 1st.

Guest echos myron

Commodore certainly isnt a mind blowing signing, but he will be a solid replacement for Salei..

Never thought I would see the day where so many Wings fans would be upset about signing a guy who can hit and fight a bit..

Anyways, people need to stop over reacting a little, its not like Commodore is going to be the Wings only move this summer.. Just because Kenny hasnt filled in the top 4 guy and a backup goalie yet doesn't mean the world is ending. It's only July 1st.

It's that time of the month.

Agree about Commodore being an improvement at the 5th/6th spot. I think a lot of the initial panic was based on Commodore not being a serviceable top pairing dman with CBJ. He should be a great bottom pairing dman despite this, and his physicality is a great addition. Maybe he can teach E a mean streak.

Agree about Commodore being an improvement at the 5th/6th spot. I think a lot of the initial panic was based on Commodore not being a serviceable top pairing dman with CBJ. He should be a great bottom pairing dman despite this, and his physicality is a great addition. Maybe he can teach E a mean streak.

Only thing is hasn't he not played a while lot of nhl..just hoping he hasn't lost what he had..

Only thing is hasn't he not played a while lot of nhl..just hoping he hasn't lost what he had..

He's played 454 Regular Season games. He's also played in 53 Playoff games and has won a cup with Carolina. I'd say he'll be fine.

Guest Heaten

"We had him earmarked for two weeks,'' [...] "We like his size and he's physical. He's a perfect fit for our team. He'll support his teammates, he'll work hard on people.

"If he's paired with (young) Jakub Kindl, he'll help him.'' Babcock said.

[/snip]

"He's helped Carolina and Calgary in playoff runs,'' Holland said. "He'll work the front of the net to move people out. He's a good guy on the third pair, got a presence to him.

"If we put him in the right situation, he'll play good hockey for us.''

http://www.mlive.com..._at_chance.html

I am so surprised nobody noticed this. I even posted a page back telling people to re-read the article and notice what it really says between the lines. Nobody noticed.

Babcock wants to pair Kindl with Commie... that either means Ericsson will be Rafalski's replacement or Holland plans on trading Ericsson.

Edited by Heaten

I am so surprised nobody noticed this. I even posted a page back telling people to re-read the article and notice what it really says between the lines. Nobody noticed.

Babcock wants to pair Kindl with Commie... that either means Ericsson will be Rafalski's replacement or Holland plans on trading Ericsson.

The first option is the path to a lottery pick.

Yeah, I noticed that right away but was not surprised by it. That was sort of the story last year, and the money for E made it seem more so. This doesn't mean he won't try to improve the d further though.

Ericsson will not be traded, trading someone you signed just a few moments earlier ruins your ability to convince players to come to your team.

Or Babs is just commenting on a hypothetical roster as of right now. The Red Wings are still free to sign a top four d-man.

It's likely nobody noticed because it doesn't necessarily mean either of those things.

Ericsson will not be Rafalski's replacement, even if they don't sign another defenseman. He'd fulfill the #4 spot and Kronwall will likely take on a more offensive role to fill the void left by Rafalski.

Mike Commodore was preparing to head to San Diego for a month of training Friday afternoon, when his agent phoned and said the Detroit Red Wings wanted him, but needed an answer in 15 minutes.

Why?? I don't understand. Who was their Plan B to Mike Commodore? Cory Cross???

Actually it's not that bad of a signing. Commy plays tough and physical hockey. He should be a ***** to play against if he keeps his head on straight and just plays mean tough hockey. Good signing, not great but with this year's ufa's it's not too bad. I'm changing my tune on this. Maybe also Kenny has some surprise up his sleeve, time will tell. I think Commy is going to show Columbus how he can really play when we play them. I also think he's and upgrade over Salei. One year and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but if it does, kudos all around! :thumbup:

Actually it's not that bad of a signing. Commy plays tough and physical hockey. He should be a ***** to play against if he keeps his head on straight and just plays mean tough hockey. Good signing, not great but with this year's ufa's it's not too bad. I'm changing my tune on this. Maybe also Kenny has some surprise up his sleeve, time will tell. I think Commy is going to show Columbus how he can really play when we play them. I also think he's and upgrade over Salei. One year and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but if it does, kudos all around! :thumbup:

Screw tough, screw physical, the two question Holland HAS to answer are:

Has he done anything to replace Rafalski's lost production?

Not even close.

Has this team gotten any better defensively and are now able to reduce the GA in proportion to the points lost by not addressing the concerns of the first question?

Not even close.

If what Holland has said in interviews today is true and this is the team hes taking into next season, you have to realistically ask yourself do you see this team competing against any of the other top 7 teams in the west. If your answer is anything but no, than you really are kidding yourself.

Not even close.

Has this team gotten any better defensively and are now able to reduce the GA in proportion to the points lost by not addressing the concerns of the first question?

Not even close.

If what Holland has said in interviews today is true and this is the team hes taking into next season, you have to realistically ask yourself do you see this team competing against any of the other top 7 teams in the west. If your answer is anything but no, than you really are kidding yourself.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this forum.....

It was going to be almost impossible to replace Rafalski this free agent signing period.

Secondly, Holland has a plan. Have patience. You know he isn't done yet. So I fail to see why Wings fans are bitching after 1 day of free agency.

Not even close.

Not even close.

Rafalski - Good for 45-55 points.

Overall 2010/11 Defensive production (including Kindl/Janik): 196 Points.

2011/12 Projections:

Lidstrom - 55 points

Kronwall - 50 points

Stuart - 20 points

Ericsson - 30 points

Commodore - 20 points

Kindl - 15 points

Janik/Smith - 6 points

= 196 points

Now these are pretty reasonable projections. Kronwall has a 13 point increase from last season due to seeing 1st powerplay unit time more often and an increased role overall. Lidstrom will drop off just a touch, Stuart will be steady, Ericsson will see 2nd powerplay time, Commodore will put up his typical point total (if healthy), Kindl will put up Ericsson type numbers, and Janik/Smith in fill in roles here and there will chip in 6 points.

So our point total on the back-end should not drop off much at all. And we had the second best offense in the regular season last year, so there is no worry there.

I just don't understand where all this bitching is coming from. We are day 1 into a weak UFA market. There are legitimate rumors of Holland trying to trade Hudler, which could mean he is looking at other trade routes as well to improve the team. We could make a push for Gagne to add some scoring punch in the top 6.

I'm not saying this is exactly how I wanted things to go, but it's not all doom and gloom. We finally have a steady stay at home d-man who will clear the crease and isn't afraid of a confrontation or physicality. Stuart and Kronwall do fine, but they're too passive at times too.

Rafalski - Good for 45-55 points.

Overall 2010/11 Defensive production (including Kindl/Janik): 196 Points.

2011/12 Projections:

Lidstrom - 55 points

Kronwall - 50 points

Stuart - 20 points

Ericsson - 30 points

Commodore - 20 points

Kindl - 15 points

Janik/Smith - 6 points

= 196 points

Now these are pretty reasonable projections. Kronwall has a 13 point increase from last season due to seeing 1st powerplay unit time more often and an increased role overall. Lidstrom will drop off just a touch, Stuart will be steady, Ericsson will see 2nd powerplay time, Commodore will put up his typical point total (if healthy), Kindl will put up Ericsson type numbers, and Janik/Smith in fill in roles here and there will chip in 6 points.

So our point total on the back-end should not drop off much at all. And we had the second best offense in the regular season last year, so there is no worry there.

I just don't understand where all this bitching is coming from. We are day 1 into a weak UFA market. There are legitimate rumors of Holland trying to trade Hudler, which could mean he is looking at other trade routes as well to improve the team. We could make a push for Gagne to add some scoring punch in the top 6.

I'm not saying this is exactly how I wanted things to go, but it's not all doom and gloom. We finally have a steady stay at home d-man who will clear the crease and isn't afraid of a confrontation or physicality. Stuart and Kronwall do fine, but they're too passive at times too.

Those numbers are very optimistic, Ericsson getting 30 pts is very high, Kronwall playing a complete season is unlikely (though i really hope he does). I see the number closer to 160 to be honest, +/- 10 pts.

The key for the wings is 0 injuries this season, there is no room for error.

Edited by Shaman464

Those numbers are very optimistic, Ericsson getting 30 pts is very high, Kronwall playing a complete season is unlikely (though i really hope he does). I see the number closer to 160 to be honest, +/- 10 pts.

The key for the wings is 0 injuries this season, there is no room for error.

While on the other hand I think you're going a bit negative... Somewhere in between seems reasonable... Around 175 points seems reasonable - you don't replace all of Rafalski's points but certainly around 50 %...

As an aside... I'm definitely going to buy a #64 Commodore t-shirt...

What if Babs and Kenny, in their always thinking from every angle tendency, also thought they'd like to bring in Commodore to be the new HWipping boy for the fans? I mean, yeah Mike can play a steady stay at home game, play physical, kill penalties, etc. but he can also a pretty good HWipping boy.

EDIT: Make take some of the pressure off of Ericsson.

Edited by Red Wings Addict