• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Simon Gagné

Rate this topic

With so many FA threads, why not another one...

I know we're supposed to be spending on defense, but with how much cap space we have and how thin the market is for defensemen, what about signing Gagné to a one-year deal if he'll take that term? He's had a lot of injury problems the past few seasons, but I think he'd be a great fit on this team if healthy. We add a speedy and extremely defensively responsible two-way winger.

He's scored 40 goals on Forsberg's wing when healthy. So if he can overcome his injury troubles, I think he'd do real well next to Z or Pavel. In the games he played, I thought he played very well these past playoffs for Tampa Bay. He'd add some perhaps needed new blood to our top 6.

The way I see it...

Gagné--$5-5.5M (fair market value I think and very reasonable to us for next season)

Backup--$1M

Trade Hudler for anything--save almost $3M (maybe trade for a backup if possible)

Rest of the money? I'll let Kenny figure something out to shore up the D if possible. He'd still have over $6M. At worse, we're gonna have to go into the season with that cap space.

Thoughts?

5.5 is pushing it lol i think he'll get around 4-4.5 because of his injury concerns

$4-4.5M is most reasonable for sure. But...

Ericsson is worth $3.25M :hehe:

I think we'd have to overpay because

• other teams inflate the price
  • we'd only offer a 1-year deal

I don't mind spending a little more this year when we still have plenty of $ for another defenseman (assuming we trade Hudler)

no room for gagne unless a move is made

You don't have to get down to 23 players until the season starts.

We'd have to eventually trade/waive a forward though obviously. (Losing Hudler. Duh.)

Edited by Nevermind

IF we traded fil and hudler then ya, gagne is an awesome addition, kinda like a second franzen in that he scores a s*** ton. and hopefully they both stay healthy. So theoretically if Fil, Huds went in some package for bogo i think gagne is the best option to pick up.

Guest blueadams

i think we need to sign SOMEONE like gagne just to save face, really...and i'd really applaud that move.

I was hoping for some more scoring up front so this would do it but I don't like the price but on a 1 year whatever. We certainly need more fire power with Commy & Big Rig back there!

i think we need to sign SOMEONE like gagne just to save face, really...and i'd really applaud that move.

How about a combo or two?

Guest Crymson

Gagne has scored 34 goals over the past two seasons combined. His days of prolific goal-scoring are over.

IF we traded fil and hudler then ya, gagne is an awesome addition, kinda like a second franzen in that he scores a s*** ton. and hopefully they both stay healthy. So theoretically if Fil, Huds went in some package for bogo i think gagne is the best option to pick up.

An average of 17 goals per season over the last two seasons, playing alongside at least one of Giroux, Richards, Stamkos and Lecavalier the vast majority of the time, and with ample time on the power play, does not equal "scoring a s*** ton." It equals narrowly edging out Patrick Eaves.

5.5 is pushing it lol i think he'll get around 4-4.5 because of his injury concerns

I think he'll get nowhere near what you're saying, because he's awfully injury-prone, has a history of awful concussions, and doesn't score all that much anymore.

All of you are vastly overblowing Gagne's ability at this stage of his career.

Gagne has scored 34 goals over the past two seasons combined. His days of prolific goal-scoring are over.

An average of 17 goals per season over the last two seasons, playing alongside at least one of Giroux, Richards, Stamkos and Lecavalier the vast majority of the time, and with ample time on the power play, does not equal "scoring a s*** ton." It equals narrowly edging out Patrick Eaves.

I think he'll get nowhere near what you're saying, because he's awfully injury-prone, has a history of awful concussions, and doesn't score all that much anymore.

All of you are vastly overblowing Gagne's ability at this stage of his career.

Just curious, and I'm not saying I want Gagne, but who DO you want the Red Wings to sign? I've been lurking here awhile now and I've seen you shoot down literally every player mentioned as a possible acquisition. Who would you like?

Just curious, and I'm not saying I want Gagne, but who DO you want the Red Wings to sign? I've been lurking here awhile now and I've seen you shoot down literally every player mentioned as a possible acquisition. Who would you like?

I know this question wasn't directed at me but we probably don't need anyone since we had the 2nd best offense last season. Although, barring a trade, we might need one.

I know this question wasn't directed at me but we probably don't need anyone since we had the 2nd best offense last season. Although, barring a trade, we might need one.

Turns out the Red Wings lost 50 points.

I'm talking about defense as well though. I've seen him call Ehrhoff, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, and Kaberle all awful. Who exactly is good then?

Correct me if I am wrong, but do the WIngs not have around 9 million dollars to spend?

Gagne (4 mil)- Datsyuk- Homer

Bertuzzi- Zetterberg- Franzen

Cleary- Filpulla- Hudler

Eaves- Helm- Miller/ Abdelkator

Lidstrom- Kabrele (4 mil)

Kronwall- Stuart

Ericson- Commridor

Howard

Ozzie (cheaper than a mil)

Obviously the numbers could be a bit different but if Kenny could put together a team like this than I would be all for it... that would be one damn good team. I don't get all the Hudler hate... he had one bad season. I say we give him a chance to perform at the level he was in 2009, at least to start the year, and see where it goes from there. If we can sign 2 good free agents like this, and keep Hudler, why would we not at least for the time being? (unless I am wrong with the numbers)

He's only 31. What's the huge downside to a one-year deal when we have a ton of cap space this year? Even when he's in the lineup, he's been fighting injuries the past few seasons. We can afford to take the chance that he's healthier now. The latest concussion scares me, but I've heard it's nowhere near as severe as the last one. With good health, there's no doubt he's at least a 20-25 goal scorer.

If he gets nowhere near that much on the open market, then why not sign him? Lower salary means low risk/high reward.

I've only ever seen you deride other people's 'out there' suggestions. Why don't you play GM for us once?

ahaha i totally agree! he's shut me down many times but u just gotta ignore it. like i said earlier, unless we're buying a clone of datsyuk crymson won't want that player on the team.

I wouldn't be upset if Hudler gets dumped and Gagne takes his place at 1.5M more than what Hudler was making. We would still have more than 8 mill in cap space, Gagne isn't taking away any roster spots from the youngsters AND it would be an improvement.

ahaha i totally agree! he's shut me down many times but u just gotta ignore it. like i said earlier, unless we're buying a clone of datsyuk crymson won't want that player on the team.

Yeah, Crymson is slowly becoming one of the biggest naysayers on this site. Any idea, small or large is ridiculous and unobtainable. Just block him out.