• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

It would probably take something like a solid, young roster player, a blue chip prospect, a first, and a third. Something along those lines. That's more than Burns brought back, and personally, I feel like Burns is better.

Than Yandle, or Bogosian? I like Burns size and shot, but if I had to choose, I'd say:
Yandle>Burns>Bogosian

Yandle is younger, has better speed and vision and less health concerns...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#42 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

You know why I don't think this will work? Well, there are a number of reasons, but one nobody's mentioned yet is: Phoenix knows Hudler a little too well from the playoffs. I can see where struggling EC teams that we only play once a year might be interested in picking a Wing, any Wing, but I'm thinking the Coyotes know better than that, considering how often we played them this year.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#43 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

Than Yandle, or Bogosian? I like Burns size and shot, but if I had to choose, I'd say:
Yandle>Burns>Bogosian

Yandle is younger, has better speed and vision and less health concerns...

They're incredibly close, I think it just comes to personal preference myself. Yandle had more points, but Burns had 17 goals. Both teams are pretty awful offensively, they could probably score even more on a team that knows what a "goal" is.

I mean if you look at it, this is basically the comparable to the Sharks package for Burns from the Wings

Filppula (Setoguchi), Smith (Coyle), 1st rounder for Yandle, 2nd

Obviously we would not get a 2nd back. I know that's kind of beating a dead horse with Filppula, but that's the closest comparison that can be made.

You know why I don't think this will work? Well, there are a number of reasons, but one nobody's mentioned yet is: Phoenix knows Hudler a little too well from the playoffs. I can see where struggling EC teams that we only play once a year might be interested in picking a Wing, any Wing, but I'm thinking the Coyotes know better than that, considering how often we played them this year.

Anyone that realistically knows what it will take to get Yandle knows Hudler won't be involved.

#44 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

It would probably take something like a solid, young roster player, a blue chip prospect, a first, and a third. Something along those lines. That's more than Burns brought back, and personally, I feel like Burns is better.

Burns is definitely not better than Yandle. He's two years older and scored 46pts to Yandle's 59. Burns also has concussion issues and a crappy playoff history (0 goals and 3 helpers in 11 games). Yandle's put 10pts up in 11 playoff games.

Holland's already stated he's still looking around at trades and UFA possibilities for the D, so we have to hope he makes a strong pitch for Yandle. Right now the Wings, Blackhawks and Bruins are the only contenders with the cap room to pay Yandle the money he'll demand. Tampa and LA don't count because they both have significant RFA issues to deal with right now and holes left to fill besides that.

I really hope Holland goes hard after Yandle.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#45 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:07 AM

They're incredibly close, I think it just comes to personal preference myself. Yandle had more points, but Burns had 17 goals. Both teams are pretty awful offensively, they could probably score even more on a team that knows what a "goal" is.

I mean if you look at it, this is basically the comparable to the Sharks package for Burns from the Wings

Obviously we would not get a 2nd back. I know that's kind of beating a dead horse with Filppula, but that's the closest comparison that can be made.

Anyone that realistically knows what it will take to get Yandle knows Hudler won't be involved.

The one thing that makes your case for it being a similar trade is we can never know what people actually want for their players. That might work unless they don't like a certain player.

I would like to do it without Fil, because now I don't know if we can replace him... unless we want to rush Tatar along...

Any ability to make the deal without Fil or Smith? Something like what I suggested can be enough if they like getting a ton of players back. Which they might...

Hudler might work because they need some cap...

Anyone think we could move some other Dman... like Stuart even to get Yandle, then add White to replace Stuart?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#46 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

I think Hudler could potentially be involved, but just as an extra piece to help get Phoenix to the cap floor, not as a key piece to the deal... also, Phoenix aleady has a good amount of forwards locked up, I would guess they would want more D than anything, especially with their D getting up there in years... I wouldn't be surprised if Kindl, Hudler, Nyquist and two 1st round picks, could get us Yandle and a mid/low level prospect or pick in return...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#47 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

@Drake_Marcus, most people would probably tell you Burns is better defensively, however.

And yeah, giving up Filppula wouldn't be ideal, but it'd probably be necessary to get a player like Yandle. Don't forget that would open up his 3 mil in cap space however, so they could sign someone to replace him, perhaps someone like Arnott as a stopgap measure.

#48 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

You have to make a deal that you'd say yes to if you were in their shoes.

If I'm the GM in Phoenix and I know Yandle wants out a package of Filppula, Smith and a 1st would be my starting point. A second prospect or pick would likely have to be included. Filppula's a legitimate two-way centre in the league who's thought of pretty highly. He's the kind of guy a GM wants because he can do everything well and has experience playing real minutes on a Stanley Cup winning team. Smith is considered a blue-chip blue-line prospect and would be coveted by every GM in the league based on his skating, offensive skill and success at every level of hockey.

But he starting point has to be a solid young roster player and a blue-chip prospect.

@Drake_Marcus, most people would probably tell you Burns is better defensively, however.

And yeah, giving up Filppula wouldn't be ideal, but it'd probably be necessary to get a player like Yandle. Don't forget that would open up his 3 mil in cap space however, so they could sign someone to replace him, perhaps someone like Arnott as a stopgap measure.

Probably but for me the age, offensive and injury difference is the deal breaker.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#49 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

I think Hudler could potentially be involved, but just as an extra piece to help get Phoenix to the cap floor, not as a key piece to the deal... also, Phoenix aleady has a good amount of forwards locked up, I would guess they would want more D than anything, especially with their D getting up there in years... I wouldn't be surprised if Kindl, Hudler, Nyquist and two 1st round picks, could get us Yandle and a mid/low level prospect or pick in return...

Can we make it Sheahan and Ferro instead of Nyquivst? Lol.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#50 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

If they could somehow substitute someone like Tatar in for Smith in a possible trade that would be so awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love Tomas, but we have a ridiculous amount of great forward prospects now and still so very little on D.

#51 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

Failing that, any of our picks from our current draft can be thrown in no problem.

#52 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

You have to make a deal that you'd say yes to if you were in their shoes.

If I'm the GM in Phoenix and I know Yandle wants out a package of Filppula, Smith and a 1st would be my starting point. A second prospect or pick would likely have to be included. Filppula's a legitimate two-way centre in the league who's thought of pretty highly. He's the kind of guy a GM wants because he can do everything well and has experience playing real minutes on a Stanley Cup winning team. Smith is considered a blue-chip blue-line prospect and would be coveted by every GM in the league based on his skating, offensive skill and success at every level of hockey.

But he starting point has to be a solid young roster player and a blue-chip prospect.

Probably but for me the age, offensive and injury difference is the deal breaker.

I think the price goes down anytime you're dealing with a situation where the player themselves has come out and announced they want out... but the price will still be very high, no doubt...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#53 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

If they could somehow substitute someone like Tatar in for Smith in a possible trade that would be so awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love Tomas, but we have a ridiculous amount of great forward prospects now and still so very little on D.

Agreed, which is why I was hoping Sheahan and Ferraro would be enough to satisfy the Prospect portion. Maybe even one of our D prospects like Marshall or Lashoff. Kindl would be a piece that would be okay to move for a Yandle, and should have enough upside that it would be tempting.

In fact there is nothing to say Kindl couldn't become a Yandle like player, though it would be surprising.

I think the price goes down anytime you're dealing with a situation where the player themselves has come out and announced they want out... but the price will still be very high, no doubt...

Did Yandle say that?

I just have to say we have the ammo to make this deal, but how much do we use...

I know they might be set on a certain player... I am hoping that we can give them more of our trash and they would be happy because it is still better than what they have. I would throw Emmerton in as well, because I would be fine using Draper another year in that role. He was a first, who is fully groomed and ready to go. They could use him as well.

#54 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

Agreed, which is why I was hoping Sheahan and Ferraro would be enough to satisfy the Prospect portion. Maybe even one of our D prospects like Marshall or Lashoff. Kindl would be a piece that would be okay to move for a Yandle, and should have enough upside that it would be tempting.

In fact there is nothing to say Kindl couldn't become a Yandle like player, though it would be surprising.

Did Yandle say that?

According to multiple sources (Darren Dreger, David Pagnotta of TFP), he is uneasy with the direction of the club and wants to be traded to a contender...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#55 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

Did Yandle say that?

I just have to say we have the ammo to make this deal, but how much do we use...

I know they might be set on a certain player... I am hoping that we can give them more of our trash and they would be happy because it is still better than what they have. I would throw Emmerton in as well, because I would be fine using Draper another year in that role. He was a first, who is fully groomed and ready to go. They could use him as well.

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta I'm not saying a Yandle trade is close, but it's been/being explored. Word on the street is he's concerned with future of team in Phoenix.
Also, Ferraro has almost no value in a trade right now, especially for a guy like Yandle.

#56 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta I'm not saying a Yandle trade is close, but it's been/being explored. Word on the street is he's concerned with future of team in Phoenix.
Also, Ferraro has almost no value in a trade right now, especially for a guy like Yandle.

Exactly... this is where so many people go off the deep end, we have to give value to get value, we can't just give them more quantity to substitute for less quality... if we want a Yandle or Bogo, we have to accept that we will need to part with some genuine assets, not just "maybes"

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#57 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Could you imagine...

Lids Ericcson
Yandle Kronner
Smith Stuart
Commodore...

Sigh... I know it is just a dream and this won't likely happen... Yet it would make me feel so much better about the following year.

#58 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

As for Ferraro, I don't see why a 32nd overall pick would have no trade value...

He should be worth a first... I know it doesn't work like that, but combining two first like players, Emmerton and Ferraro- should be like a first round pick for sure.

Sheahan should be worth a first.

Kindl should be worth a first.

Failing that combining the two should be...

Hudler and two firsts on top of that should definitely at least make 4 first rounders worth of RFA trade value.

Edited by Majsheppard, 02 July 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#59 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

As for Ferraro, I don't see why a 32nd overall pick would have no trade value...

He should be worth a first... I know it doesn't work like that, but combining two first like players, Emmerton and Ferraro- should be like a first round pick for sure.

Sheahan should be worth a first.

Kindl should be worth a first.

Failing that combining the two should be...

Hudler and two firsts on top of that should definitely at least make 4 first rounders worth of RFA trade value.

It doesn't matter where he was taken, his performance has been downright pitiful. He was benched on his WHL team. What does that tell you? He only has value to the Wings right now in hopes of him turning it around. You really need to put yourself in their shoes and think about the "value" you're trying to dump on them.

Kindl does also not have 1st round pick trade value.

#60 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

It doesn't matter where he was taken, his performance has been downright pitiful. He was benched on his WHL team. What does that tell you? He only has value to the Wings right now in hopes of him turning it around. You really need to put yourself in their shoes and think about the "value" you're trying to dump on them.

Kindl does also not have 1st round pick trade value.

Well, their shoes is the NHL, and I don't know if they are willing to spend.

Secondly, how many times did I say I know the value isn't what the pick is, but all that together should be enough to equate to 4 firsts, which is what they would get via RFA.

Ferraro is still ranked in our top twenty prospects, which should be top 10 for Phx. Just saying.

I am speculating, if I were in their shoes I wouldn't even think of trading Yandle. I would pay the man.