• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thats not true. I am no Yankees fan but I would vote for Brian Cashman, 6 American League Championships, 4 World Series victories.

REALLY? You're REALLY going to compare Holland to the team that has a payroll of 220 million dollars? Unbelievable. Anyone that has half a brain will tell you Holland is a better GM than Cashman, Cashman makes some HORRIBLE moves (AJ Burnett, Rafael Soriano, countless others).

#42 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

I like how people assume that Holland is just sitting on his ass doing nothing. I mean do people honestly believe that he hasn't actively pursued a lot of the FA's that have signed elsewhere? I mean there are 29 other teams in the mix and most often than not they have a more attractive package that they can offer that the Wings can't (depending on the FA of course).

For example, 1 guy I thought we could go after and possibly overpay a bit was Wisniewsky but obviously the deal the Jackets offered was out of the Wings league so they weren't willing to pay the price.

Fine if it will make everyone happy we'll give him an A+ for trying to do something, and then we'll give him a D- for not getting anything done with all these talks he's had. Also, I completely understand now. On one hand Ken Holland is a great GM and does no wrong. And on the other hand (same people say) all our players suck and are not worthy of trades or of value to other teams.

Edited by Johnny Diamonds, 02 July 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#43 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Kenny is probably working on getting a top 4 d man as we speak.

I won't be disappointed if he doesn't though, I think Smith can jump right in to the top 4.

No worries here :)
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#44 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Overall I felt it was a decent first day of Free Agency for the Wings. They signed 2 forwards and 2 defensemen. No really big names but all players strong and able to play a good game here. We want a Big Name Free Agent Signing becasue we want something Big to talk about during the off-season and while signing Big Name Free Agents can be and are great players it's not always the way to go. What matters is Standings, Playoff Position and Championships. I know we had a lot of Cap Space Available but that doesn't mean we should just go blow it. If we can sign 3 or 4 players that can do the same for the price of 1 player than I'm all for that. This team doesn't really make a whole bunch of major deals early in free agency. I say we just play it by ear and see what happens. Yes I want to get the best possible players for the best possible price and whatever that means if it means signing them now or waitin to see if their prices will go down the closer we get to the season. Most improtantly IMO is doing what wee need to do to bring and Championship back to this Organzation.

#45 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

REALLY? You're REALLY going to compare Holland to the team that has a payroll of 220 million dollars? Unbelievable. Anyone that has half a brain will tell you Holland is a better GM than Cashman, Cashman makes some HORRIBLE moves (AJ Burnett, Rafael Soriano, countless others).

Look at the wings from the time Holland started and the Cap. The Wings and the Yankees had a lot in common, and a lot of the same grips about overpaid players and buying championships.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#46 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

OMG, people actually think being the GM of the Yankees would be hard? Who else do you think manages a team well? Man U. in the premiership?

#47 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Read this, check out all the cap room we have next year.

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=15

I'm glad Holland didn't over pay at this year's poor UFA pool.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons