• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Forward lines next season?

Rate this topic

Holland did not say he's done with the forwards, he said he's looking at defense and not so much at forwards. Thus getting another D man is job one. I think if they were offering Jagr 2.5 then it will go to another forward spot, I also think we will sign someone for this spot late into the summer.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Guest blueadams

Holland did not say he's done with the forwards, he said he's looking at defense and not so much at forwards. Thus getting another D man is job one. I think if they were offering Jagr 2.5 then it will go to another forward spot, I also think we will sign someone for this spot late into the summer.

I believe it already went to Miller and Eaves.

Guest blueadams

Yeah because those two pretty much take the same spot that Jagr would've potentially played. *facepalm*

Forward...and cap space designated for forwards...uh, yes, they do.

It's honestly depressing talking to some of you people. Depressing in the sense that your vote counts as much as mine in a presidential election.

Makes me laugh, people around here act like the off season lasts from 12pm July 1st and ends when TSN goes off the air for the day. Of course I would've liked to see us do something more productive yesterday. Our biggest issue right now is Hudler, no one wants him. I feel a trade coming though but I think it has to involve Huds and his market value right now is equal to a bag of stale potato chips.

Are we talking the ripply kind? Cuz those kind of hold up their crunch even when they're stale...

If we are trading for a forward, we definitely need to get rid of one that we have, even if it means waiving Huds if he can't be traded. If we just plain sign a forward, we will have to find another way to get rid of him.

He's probably drinking heavily right about now. Maybe we could see if he still has any vodka on him and include it in the trade.

I would like to wait for camp and see what Mursak and Emmerton have to offer since I'm not familiar with their play before I make line combos. Most people here put them as spares or on the 4th, which is expected for the new kids. Has anyone watched them enough to know where they might fit if Huds vanished?

:beerbuddy:

Forward...and cap space designated for forwards...uh, yes, they do.

It's honestly depressing talking to some of you people. Depressing in the sense that your vote counts as much as mine in a presidential election.

Haha I could say the same thing. Mainly because I CANNOT vote in a presidential election. Detroit needed to fill out the 4th line anyway, the cap space designated to a 1st or 2nd line winger ($2.3M or whatever it was for Jagr) has no correlation to that. It's not an either or discussion. The cap space and need to re-sign Miller and Eaves (or any equivalent players) would've been there anyway.

If we are trading for a forward, we definitely need to get rid of one that we have, even if it means waiving Huds if he can't be traded. If we just plain sign a forward, we will have to find another way to get rid of him.

Hudler is not impossible to trade, I'm just guessing that so far Holland has demanded too much and other GMs feel that other options are still out there. If a trade to upgrade Detroit's top 6 actually happens and it doesn't involve a forward (which I doubt) then Hudler will be "given" away...

"Hudler is not impossible to trade"

And yet, here he still sits.

Maybe it's part of Kenny's masterplan to re-sign Modano and Draper, too, since they're the only two that haven't inked a deal here yet.

I just hope that they will bring up Emmerton and Mursak this season.

Emmerton is out of options. He'd have to clear waivers to be sent down to GR.

The lack of respect for Miller and Bertuzzi astounds me. These claims that Bert can't handle second-line ice are 100% bulls***. The guy outscored Homer and Flip. He produces about a point every other game on average. That's what you expect from a mid-level second-liner. He was also one of the hardest working defensive forwards we saw, five-on-five, and got props from Babs for it on a few occasions. He's a good player. Same with Miller. He's unspectacular but he's effective at what he does and he works his ass off on the defensive side of the puck.

Sometimes a team adds by subtraction. Losing Drapes, Modano, and hopefully Hudler, the forward corps loses a couple of its softest forwards and another whose job was replaced by Helm long ago. Equally true on defense. It cannot be said that Rafalski wasn't a defensive liability at even strength. He was just too easy to muscle off the puck. Period. And the back end still has people that can generate offense, even if a big trade doesn't come down. Lidstrom and Kronwall are elite, offensively. Stuart is capable if he gets back into the swing of acting like the defenseman he was in SJ and Boston. Ericsson and Kindl have considerable untapped offensive ability as well. It's all about improvement from within. This team's got a big pile of guys in their twenties right now. If they get better, the team will do fine. If they regress, the team will suffer.

At the very least, subtracting its two softest forwards and its softest defensemen, the team will be tougher to play against, even if it's a bit of a loss with respect to top-end skill. I like the change.

Guest blueadams

Haha I could say the same thing. Mainly because I CANNOT vote in a presidential election. Detroit needed to fill out the 4th line anyway, the cap space designated to a 1st or 2nd line winger ($2.3M or whatever it was for Jagr) has no correlation to that. It's not an either or discussion. The cap space and need to re-sign Miller and Eaves (or any equivalent players) would've been there anyway.

okay...genius...

i'm going to talk you through this...nice...and...slow...and...simple...okay??

how many forwards can you dress on a team??

how many forwards do you usually see carried on a team??

12-14

how many forwards did we have under contract before july 1?

12 (1-datsyuk, 2-zetterberg, 3-franzen, 4-filppula, 5-hudler, 6-cleary, 7-holmstrom, 8-bertuzzi, 9-helm, 10-abdelkader, 11-mursak, 12-emmerton

how many forwards do we have under contract since after july 1?

14 (13-eaves, 14-miller)

...so now, you, genius, tell me how the signing of eaves and miller does not effect the potential signing of a "jagr type"?

or, as I'm sure you're too stupid to do, you can just acknowledge that you were wrong and move on.

The lack of respect for Miller and Bertuzzi astounds me. These claims that Bert can't handle second-line ice are 100% bulls***. The guy outscored Homer and Flip. He produces about a point every other game on average. That's what you expect from a mid-level second-liner. He was also one of the hardest working defensive forwards we saw, five-on-five, and got props from Babs for it on a few occasions. He's a good player. Same with Miller. He's unspectacular but he's effective at what he does and he works his ass off on the defensive side of the puck.

Sometimes a team adds by subtraction. Losing Drapes, Modano, and hopefully Hudler, the forward corps loses a couple of its softest forwards and another whose job was replaced by Helm long ago. Equally true on defense. It cannot be said that Rafalski wasn't a defensive liability at even strength. He was just too easy to muscle off the puck. Period. And the back end still has people that can generate offense, even if a big trade doesn't come down. Lidstrom and Kronwall are elite, offensively. Stuart is capable if he gets back into the swing of acting like the defenseman he was in SJ and Boston. Ericsson and Kindl have considerable untapped offensive ability as well. It's all about improvement from within. This team's got a big pile of guys in their twenties right now. If they get better, the team will do fine. If they regress, the team will suffer.

At the very least, subtracting its two softest forwards and its softest defensemen, the team will be tougher to play against, even if it's a bit of a loss with respect to top-end skill. I like the change.

Kenny?

Holland believes the team that had trouble scoring more than a goal or two against the sharks doesn't need more forward support. Genius.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Wings shut out the most times in like 20 years last season?

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the Wings the 2nd highest scoring team last season?

I haven't posted much, I mainly just get on here for updates and to read, but I figured I'd throw my two cents out there. I've been feeling as frustrated as any of you. However, like some have pointed out... it's the second day of UFA, hopefully something will come up that surprises us all.

I feel like Ken Holland was put in a position this off season that he hasn't been in throughout his career at GM for the Wings. After the lockout, with the salary cap and such, there hasn't been a time that he has needed to pull a major overhaul in any aspect of the team. Minor changes to 3rd and 4th lines and third pairings on the D (excluding the Stuart trade), but nothing that was close to the Rafalski deal.

I, personally, believe that Raffi had become a liability in the late stages of his career. After he came back from injury last season, he continually made bonehead mistakes. Now, he wasn't bad, but his first pass wasn't as crisp and he didn't skate with the same authority (hence the retirement... obviously he felt the same). In replacing him, I strongly believe that Detroit should have made a push for Burns before July 1st, as he, IMHO, was the best defenseman in this free agent class. But that's water under the bridge, as it didn't happen.

I strongly feel that we have missed the boat on signing a strong, known defenseman in this offseason. However, I don't think that all is lost. Being a Wings fan my entire life, they have been able to pull a sort of "plug-and-play" when they lose a quality player either to retirement or free agency. Here's to hoping that Kindl, Smith (if he's ready), or even, God forbid, Ericcson or Commodore can step in and fill the role.

I think the only way we secure a solid 2nd line scorer is to make a trade... and hopefully that trade involves Mr. Hudler.

Thanks for reading, all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the Wings the 2nd highest scoring team last season?

How'd that work out in the playoffs though? A few injuries to regulars and we're done for. We used to have fantastic depth, now it's just alright. We could've used one extra scoring forward to round out the top 6, instead we re-sign both Eaves and Miller and now dont have any space.

okay...genius...

12-14

12 (1-datsyuk, 2-zetterberg, 3-franzen, 4-filppula, 5-hudler, 6-cleary, 7-holmstrom, 8-bertuzzi, 9-helm, 10-abdelkader, 11-mursak, 12-emmerton

14 (13-eaves, 14-miller)

...so now, you, genius, tell me how the signing of eaves and miller does not effect the potential signing of a "jagr type"?

or, as I'm sure you're too stupid to do, you can just acknowledge that you were wrong and move on.

Kenny?

I've never seen a dude get so defensive, you're like a zitty 14 yr old kid who's gf just broke up with him..you just set yourself up for it. Go turn on your Bieber, have a milkshake, fire up your line thread program on your Ipad and chill out.

Edited by puckbags

Guest blueadams

I haven't posted much, I mainly just get on here for updates and to read, but I figured I'd throw my two cents out there. I've been feeling as frustrated as any of you. However, like some have pointed out... it's the second day of UFA, hopefully something will come up that surprises us all.

I feel like Ken Holland was put in a position this off season that he hasn't been in throughout his career at GM for the Wings. After the lockout, with the salary cap and such, there hasn't been a time that he has needed to pull a major overhaul in any aspect of the team. Minor changes to 3rd and 4th lines and third pairings on the D (excluding the Stuart trade), but nothing that was close to the Rafalski deal.

I, personally, believe that Raffi had become a liability in the late stages of his career. After he came back from injury last season, he continually made bonehead mistakes. Now, he wasn't bad, but his first pass wasn't as crisp and he didn't skate with the same authority (hence the retirement... obviously he felt the same). In replacing him, I strongly believe that Detroit should have made a push for Burns before July 1st, as he, IMHO, was the best defenseman in this free agent class. But that's water under the bridge, as it didn't happen.

I strongly feel that we have missed the boat on signing a strong, known defenseman in this offseason. However, I don't think that all is lost. Being a Wings fan my entire life, they have been able to pull a sort of "plug-and-play" when they lose a quality player either to retirement or free agency. Here's to hoping that Kindl, Smith (if he's ready), or even, God forbid, Ericcson or Commodore can step in and fill the role.

I think the only way we secure a solid 2nd line scorer is to make a trade... and hopefully that trade involves Mr. Hudler.

Thanks for reading, all.

you seem too reasonable for this board. need more raw, irrational emotion in your posts.

I've never seen a dude get so defensive, you're like a zitty 14 yr old kid who's gf just broke up with him..you just set yourself up for it. Go turn on your Bieber, have a milkshake, fire up your line thread program on your Ipad and chill out.

someone was being an idiot. and i showed them why they were being an idiot. don't be a dickhead just because i did the same to you in another thread and you're ticked about it.

also, don't respond to this. if you do, i won't respond to you. there are a ton of ppl here worth listening to, and you're not one of them.

id try something like this

Filppula - Datsyuk -Holmstrom

Hudler- Zetterberg - Franzen

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Abs - Mursak

that's actually...pretty good sounding. eaves and mursak would be switched. love the first line with pav and val together...homer helps there. it would be hard for huds not to get going with hank AND mule on his line. i don't like having bert in the bottom six bc i think he's bad defensively, but if you're going to do it, that's exactly how you should do it. that might even turn into a respectable checking line if he gets his head out of his arse. good skaters in helm and cleary make up for him defensively too. then that fourth line, i really like. three great defensive players, all with a little scoring touch.

Edited by blueadams

i still think the offense needs a little work.

huds needs new scenery. I like zherdev for 2 mil. capable of putting up 20+goals

lazy sure but what team was he apart of that was going to improve that?

someone was being an idiot. and i showed them why they were being an idiot. don't be a dickhead just because i did the same to you in another thread and you're ticked about it.

also, don't respond to this. if you do, i won't respond to you. there are a ton of ppl here worth listening to, and you're not one of them.

The irony in that alone is just awesome, we all try not to listen to you but f*** you make 343432 line threads a week, you cluster f*** the main board, its pure entertainment now.

If that's true, it really didn't seem like it. I remember a ton of offensive dry spells, both last year and the year before.

okay...genius...

12-14

14 (13-eaves, 14-miller)

Yeah, or you just trade Hudler to free up a spot? Maybe? Which is what Holland's been trying to do? (Oh and the bolded words/statement really makes convincing me that much easier. As far as I know I haven't insulted you in a post or reduced myself to childish name-calling).