• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Defensive pairings

Rate this topic

He played with Rafalksi most of last season. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

I know, I just don't believe it's the right thing to do. I'm pretty sure we all saw what San Jose did to that pairing in the playoffs.

Kindl and Smith are going to be the odd-men out on this one, unless there's a trade in the works.

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Commodore

Thanks for understanding!!!

He played with Rafalksi most of last season. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

True but he played on LEFT side.

I know, I just don't believe it's the right thing to do. I'm pretty sure we all saw what San Jose did to that pairing in the playoffs.

True. Honestly I just hope Lids and Stuart don't end up as the main pairing this season. They never seemed to work very well together. Stuart looked crossed up out there more than I've seen him before, yet Babcock stuck with it.

True but he played on LEFT side.

And he could again with White.

The good news is with this defensive corps, Babcock has a lot of options. Everyone except Kindl and Smith is capable of handling 18+ minutes a night if they're playing well. (I don't really see Commodore doing that, but it's possible).

Kindl and Smith are going to be the odd-men out on this one, unless there's a trade in the works.

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Commodore

EXACTLY the line pairings I want to see! Bravo! +1 for you!

For those of you who think it, it won't happen, Commodore WILL NOT be the 7th defenseman... He may sit once in awhile to allow Kindl some playing time, but Kindl (if he reamins a Red Wing) will be the 7th defenseman.

Edited by LeftWinger

EXACTLY the line pairings I want to see! Bravo! +1 for you!

For those of you who think it, it won't happen, Commodore WILL NOT be the 7th defenseman... He may sit once in awhile to allow Kindl some playing time, but Kindl (if he reamins a Red Wing) will be the 7th defenseman.

Yeah but Ericsson and Commodore? Why?

Putting Ericsson/Kindl/Commodore on the same pairing would be a disaster. The first two aren't experienced enough to be on a line together and Ericsson and Commodore would be the slowest defense pair in the league. White was most likely signed to play with Lids because of his right handed shot too so expect them to be paired. Aside from the top pair, Kronwall and Stuart should be split up based on their experience and the skating ability of Commodore and Ericsson. There needs to be somebody more skilled to cover for errors by Ericsson, Commodore and Kindl. This looks like a very steady defensive corps and I love the signings of White and Commodore.

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Ericsson

Stuart - Commodore/Kindl

Wow seems like a lot of people are really down on Commodore.

He had a bad season people where he got waived and now all of a sudden noone thinks he is even capable of staying out of the pressbox?

The guy still played almost 20 mins a night the last few years when he was in the lineup, almost 3 minutes a night short handed, and is much better offensively than Salei.

Sure Commodore isnt super fast but hes just as good of a skater as Salei, is used to playing 19 minutes a night compared to Saleis 16, plays more pk time and is a big, mean player who can hit hard and will fight light heavyweights.

He is basically salei with more offense and a much bigger mean streak. Just bec ause he tried to take a wings player head off and fell into the bench doesnt mean hes a god awful player. At least he has that mean streak to go and try to light a guy up like that.

Not to mention prior to going to CBJ, Commodore was one of the better stay at home types in the league playing a big part in 2 cup runs for Carolina and Calgary. If theres a team that can help him find that form again, its Detroit. Look what they did with Lilja who was a similar guy, who was even worse than Commy when he came to Detroit.

People need to give him a chance instead of watching him fly into the bench on one youtube video to decide hes a bum.

When he does this to tools like avery everyone will sing a different tune..

or stiicks up for the goalie like this

Not to mention guys liek Ericcson and abdelkader will play tougher because they know a 6'5 Canadian mean SOB will be backing them up

Wow seems like a lot of people are really down on Commodore.

He had a bad season people where he got waived and now all of a sudden noone thinks he is even capable of staying out of the pressbox?

The guy still played almost 20 mins a night the last few years when he was in the lineup, almost 3 minutes a night short handed, and is much better offensively than Salei.

Sure Commodore isnt super fast but hes just as good of a skater as Salei, is used to playing 19 minutes a night compared to Saleis 16, plays more pk time and is a big, mean player who can hit hard and will fight light heavyweights.

He is basically salei with more offense and a much bigger mean streak. Just bec ause he tried to take a wings player head off and fell into the bench doesnt mean hes a god awful player. At least he has that mean streak to go and try to light a guy up like that.

Not to mention prior to going to CBJ, Commodore was one of the better stay at home types in the league playing a big part in 2 cup runs for Carolina and Calgary. If theres a team that can help him find that form again, its Detroit. Look what they did with Lilja who was a similar guy, who was even worse than Commy when he came to Detroit.

People need to give him a chance instead of watching him fly into the bench on one youtube video to decide hes a bum.

When he does this to tools like avery everyone will sing a different tune..

or stiicks up for the goalie like this

Not to mention guys liek Ericcson and abdelkader will play tougher because they know a 6'5 Canadian mean SOB will be backing them up

Well said. I like this and I'm hoping Commy finds his top hockey form! :thumbup:

Well said. I like this and I'm hoping Commy finds his top hockey form! :thumbup:

Yeah when May was dressed guys like Meech, Cleary and Eaves (who isnt a bad little scrapper actually) were scrapping knowing they had a guy to back them up.

Now if Smith is up next year, coupled with Commodore, Abby and Ericcson the wings might finally be at a point where they arent bing pushed around anymore because with a crew like that other guys like Eaves will play tougher hockey for sure.

I'm hoping Commie saying he has a lot to prove and he is going to be working out hard this summer is true and that he comes out hitting everything that moves, blocking shots and fighting a good amount.

I know a lot of people are looking at the points recluse with Rafslski. I'm just wondering of just maybe our D could end up possibly being better then this past season. I may be trying to be overly optimistic and I'm not trying to take anything from Rafalski but he was hurting and was lacking in the defensive department. Kronwall replaced him and hopefully embraces his new role and steps his game up. As for the bottom 5 I feel we have upgraded Salei and became a team who has the capabilities to be more of a shut down team with White and Commie.

I'm hoping we can combine that with a new defensive coach and Howard plays like he did in the post season. With our forward situation being the sane and money for improvement maybe we are in a lot better position then some people think.

Yes signing s guy like Wiz would have been nice but would solve our biggest downfall from last season. Which was keeping the puck out of our net, not putting it in there's...

Guest echos myron

White is probably more suitable as a top 2 dman than Stuart.

I'm not a Rafalski hater but it seems like some people are more concerned with the loss of name recognition from the blue line than anything. Rafalski's points, especially on the PP, will surely be missed. But his defensive game absolutely suffered for significant stretches last season. His turnovers were costly at times and he struggled to get back to the puck and his first pass out of the zone suffered as a result (when he was actually able to even attempt one). I'm not saying he was garbage defensively White is an improvement from 2010-2011 Rafalski.

Commodore is even an improvement over Salei. Also, people shouldn't get concerned with the order at which the D-Pairings are listed in this thread. Babcock will almost certainly try and distribute the ice time as he did last year - 20 mins per pair.

If Ericsson could play the right side then I would have liked to see

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Stuart - White

Kronwall - Commodore

Kindl

But since that's not exactly an option I bet we see:

Lidstrom - Stuart/White

Ericsson - White/Stuart

Kronwall - Commodore

So as it stands right now, we have Commodore as a starter unless Smith or Kindl beat him out. Meanwhile, Bryan McCabe and Scott Hannan are still out there on the market. Unless they're asking for too much or too many years, I would rather go with one of these two than Commodore. You have to figure, the longer they're out there, the lower their price would have to drop.