• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
X13WINGS13X

Wings looking at Ty Conklin

Rate this topic

I love Ozzie to pieces and always will, but if we can get Conks back I think it will be better for the team.

I just can't see Oz bouncing back from the injuries he's had over the last couple of years. He's been a great part of the team, and I will always love his fight with Waaah. He's been a great goalie as a starter, and as a backup he's been a great mentor for Jimmy.

I think Conks could do well in the mentor/backup role. Since Conks is coming off of relatively bad seasons, he should come with a very reasonable price tag.

He seemed happy here. I'm for this signing.

Well, we could have Vokoun at $1.5M for this year... <_<

So why didn't we get him then? Holland is looking for a goaltender and Vokoun knows that Wings have only one goalie signed. Do you think Holland is stupid and doesn't know what's going around in the league? Vokoun wanted to sign for a team where he's the clear number one goalie.

So why didn't we get him then? Holland is looking for a goaltender and Vokoun knows that Wings have only one goalie signed. Do you think Holland is stupid and doesn't know what's going around in the league? Vokoun wanted to sign for a team where he's the clear number one goalie.

Vokoun won't be the clear #1 goalie at all. He and Neuvirth will probably split exactly 50/50 and then whoever plays best gets the playoffs.

With that said, anyone getting all pissed off at Holland for not getting him is just ridiculous as usual. The Wings have committed to Howard as the starting goaltender for the near and distant future, and rightfully so.

Did I said that Holland was/is stupid? Washington is very deep in goalies (DEEPER THAN DETROIT) - main reason why they traded Varlamov to Colorado... Did Holland inquired about Vokoun, I have no idea...

Roughly 1 to 1.25 million seems to be the going price for a good backup. Which leaves us $8-plus million in cap room, plus one miffed Osgood.

Ozzie will be happy with either decision - if the Wings want him back I'm sure he'll jump at the chance. But if they decide to go with someone else, I'm sure he'll still be a part of the team and he'll be able to spend more time with his family. Osgood has always been a great mentor and had a positive attitude about his place on the team.

I love Ozzie just as much as anybody and I think its obvious that he wants to play and still can play at a high level, but I think the Wings main concern is his health.. if you go with Ozzie you basically still need a 3rd option in goal just in case.

I agree, I'd love to see Ozzie come back but his health is still uncertain and they will have to have a capable backup in case he falters.

As for Conklin I think he was a good fit with the team the last time he was here and if he comes back I'd be happy with him.

I was disappointed when he left, so I'd love to see him back. I will miss Ozzie though.

I totally feel the same way. When ConkBlock left it stung a bit. If he can get it through his head that hes a fantastic backup, but a below average starter then he may just be able to play hockey for a living and make decent money (compared to us on the internets...)

Based on what Holland's said and the fact that this simply hasn't happened yet, I think it's unlikely. I liked him when he was here, but he has struggled since leaving. I'm not one to expect career backups to be consistent so I'm not surprised by his struggles, and I'm not sure it'd be the best deal. I'm guessing though that Conklin was one of the goalies Holland talked to that didn't want to backup a 27-year old and not get a lot of playing time.

Guest echos myron

Based on what Holland's said and the fact that this simply hasn't happened yet, I think it's unlikely. I liked him when he was here, but he has struggled since leaving. I'm not one to expect career backups to be consistent so I'm not surprised by his struggles, and I'm not sure it'd be the best deal. I'm guessing though that Conklin was one of the goalies Holland talked to that didn't want to backup a 27-year old and not get a lot of playing time.

Conklin has had one bad year while playing on a sub-par Blues team.

From TSN:

The Detroit Red Wings are searching for a backup goaltender, and their options are limited.

"The market for goalies is pretty picked over," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're comfortable with Chris Osgood if we have to do it."

"I have gotten calls from teams, looking to trade a goaltender," Holland said. "I need to do something and I probably will this week."

From TSN:

The Detroit Red Wings are searching for a backup goaltender, and their options are limited.

"The market for goalies is pretty picked over," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're comfortable with Chris Osgood if we have to do it."

...way to make a goalie feel wanted... :huh:

I totally feel the same way. When ConkBlock left it stung a bit. If he can get it through his head that hes a fantastic backup, but a below average starter then he may just be able to play hockey for a living and make decent money (compared to us on the internets...)

He didn't leave. The Wings had to give Howard a chance. He was out of minor league options. You can't blame the guy for not wanting to play into that scenario. And while I really like the guys attitude (he outplayed Osgood all year and bowed out for the playoffs with supreme grace and class, beyond a team player with absolutely zero hints of any issues), I'm not convinced he's bound to succeed again here. Goalie is a funny position. Some guys find a way to have a career as a steady guy and they usually become starters. The backups tend to be more shaky, hence why they're backups. Not many have the longest, most comfortable run in the pros. In any event, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go the KHL route. If Macdonald can cash in, Conklin should be able to and some, so why not? He'll never have that kind of payday in the NHL.

...way to make a goalie feel wanted... :huh:

With Ozzie's attitude I'm sure if he read this he wouldn't be offended. The Wings (and him) know he's a gamble even though he's confident he can do it. I know he can too as long as he's healthy and I would love for him to end his career on his terms and with some good games under his belt. This is actually the biggest decision I'm waiting to see what happens.

With Ozzie's attitude I'm sure if he read this he wouldn't be offended. The Wings (and him) know he's a gamble even though he's confident he can do it. I know he can too as long as he's healthy and I would love for him to end his career on his terms and with some good games under his belt. This is actually the biggest decision I'm waiting to see what happens.

I'd still love for Ozzie to pass Sawchuk on the wins total but I'm not getting my hopes up.

In the interview on WDFN this morning, Kenny mentioned Ty Conklin's name but they obviously haven't signed him yet. Stupid question - Does that count as tampering?

Only if it happened before July 1.

Only if it happened before July 1.

Oh alright.

I've always thought that it was a bad idea to bring up a player's name that you haven't signed yet no matter what. But maybe since this is after July 1st that it's only a bad idea in the sense that you could be driving up your own purchasing price. I know context matters too but things like this can be pretty fickle.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Conklin would be crazy to not sign with the Wings. I'm ok going with Ozzie provided he is healthy enough.

So, what is the status on Nabokov? Last I heard he was suspended by the Islanders but then he said he was going to report.

That would be the best option - but the stupid Islanders screwed it up, and for what? the guy isn't going to play for them. Maybe THEY should be one of the franchises considering moving to Canada, or something. Will be interesting to see how that plays out...

As for Conks, not really excited, not really un-excited. A neutral move....