• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

Wings sign D Ian White to 2-year, $5.75m contract

Rate this topic

I thought this was seven? Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, White, Ericsson, Commodore, Kindl

Unless you're including Janik. Janik will not be on the team, I can guarantee you that.

They're assuming Smith will make the team out of camp. But with this move he's probably gonna have to stay in G.R. another season.

They're assuming Smith will make the team out of camp. But with this move he's probably gonna have to stay in G.R. another season.

Yeah there was definitely no chance of this ever happening despite Holland's comments about how ready it was. Last time a Red Wings prospect only played one or less years in the AHL was Zetterberg.

Might as well let him put up 15 goals, 50 points in the AHL then be a contender for the Calder the year after.

About 6.5 Give or take.

According to Cap Geek the Wings have $7,045,455 left. That includes 22 players on the roster:

--14 Forwards (including Mursak and Emmerton, noting that the Wings are rumoured to be looking for a trade involving Hudler)

--7 Defense (including Kindl as the 7th man)

--1 Goaltender

If they do end up moving Hudler the cap space will jump back up to $9,920,455.

If Holland is able to get one of the as-of-yet unsigned RFA defencemen (Yandle please) he'll move Kindl and use Commie as an affordable 7th d-man.

Not all that knowledgable about him. Glad to see we signed someone, and people seem to think it's a bargain, so cool. Doesn't sound like he's anything to put us over the top, but if it pushes Big E down the depth chart I'm okay with it. Thumbs up, Holland!

EDIT: I don't think Holland is still looking for another defenseman. Unless he's planning on moving some people. Hopefully he still grabs a forward. I imagine he won't spend up to the cap. There's just not enough available and that gives him wiggle room at the deadline.

But how much space do you all think he'll leave? If we have 7 million, 1.5 for a backup, 4 for a scorer? Any reliable scorers that cost around 4?

Edited by VM1138

I thought this was seven? Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, White, Ericsson, Commodore, Kindl

Unless you're including Janik. Janik will not be on the team, I can guarantee you that.

Whoops, my bad. Seven it is. I'm counting Smith as the first call-up, so Janik is number 9 in my books.

According to Cap Geek the Wings have $7,045,455 left. That includes 22 players on the roster:

--14 Forwards (including Mursak and Emmerton, noting that the Wings are rumoured to be looking for a trade involving Hudler)

--7 Defense (including Kindl as the 7th man)

--1 Goaltender

If they do end up moving Hudler the cap space will jump back up to $9,920,455.

If Holland is able to get one of the as-of-yet unsigned RFA defencemen (Yandle please) he'll move Kindl and use Commie as an affordable 7th d-man.

I fully expect there is a 0% chance of this happening now that he signed White, but if he were able to bring Yandle here, good god...

Lidstrom - Yandle

Kronwall - Stuart

White - Commodore

That would be nothing short of incredible.

EDIT: Haha, woops, I completely forgot about Ericsson. Obviously he's in for Commodore.

Edited by Agalloch93

So now they have 14 forwards and 8 defencemen. If a trade doesn't materialize then the worst forward after the camp is gone either by trade or by waivers or, in case of clearing waivers, in the AHL (Emmerton).

MLive

If Smith makes the team out of camp Holland will make a trade of some sort. There's zero chance they keep Smith on the roster unless he's secured the 6th defensive spot. You don't let an asset like that rot in the pressbox when he could be playing 25 mins a night in Grand Rapids.

So now we have two new handsome Canadian defensemen who can hit and fight. *drool*

Holland obviously made a concerted effort to get meaner on the back end. The Wings D is bigger and tougher than it's been in a long time.

Would not be averse to this at all. ...but Holland isn't really doing any more work this offseason is he?? :ph34r:

Not all that knowledgable about him. Glad to see we signed someone, and people seem to think it's a bargain, so cool. Doesn't sound like he's anything to put us over the top, but if it pushes Big E down the depth chart I'm okay with it. Thumbs up, Holland!

Like the C64 signing, White will offer some serious competition for ice time for the D-men not named Kronwall, Stuart, and Lidstrom. I like this move. Hopefully the new D-coach will inspire some competition between them as well.

Would not be averse to this at all. ...but Holland isn't really doing any more work this offseason is he?? :ph34r:

Getting a 24 year old kid like Yandle is just the kind of thing Holland will push hard for. Yandle could be a cornerstone in Detroit for another 10 years.

Getting a 24 year old kid like Yandle is just the kind of thing Holland will push hard for. Yandle could be a cornerstone in Detroit for another 10 years.

If the Wings somehow got Yandle...that'd be insane. But with signign White and Commodore, doesn't it seem like Holland is done there? Why bother signing Commodore at all, then? Maybe it was insurance, but now that he signed both, that boxes us out of any other defensemen probably, unless we do a sign and trade, which would be unheard of for Holland.

Guest Heaten

Looks like Holland won't be in the Yandle sweepstakes.

How is White's speed? Hope he has some wheels

If we get Yandle we win the Cup. We were only three goals behind leading the NHL in offense last year despite significant injuries to Cleary and Datsyuk and with Yandle we'd have the best defense in the NHL.

I certainly don't expect this to happen though and I'm not gonna flip out at Holland if he doesn't pull it off like many undoubtedly will.

This is a good signing given the situation that the Free Agency went this year. We did not overpay for White, and he is pretty young at twenty seven years old. Holland, you redeemed yourself in my book. Commodore looks motivated to play and is an ample replacement for Salei, and White is an ample replacement for an aging and wore down by injuries Brian Rafalski.

White - Lids

Kronwall - Stuart

That is a solid top 4. Adding Yandle to that mix and I would cry of happiness.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

/ Mike Commodore ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,254,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,045,456

This team looks pretty good, and a lot of cap space on top of it :clap:

Edited by Shaman464