• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

Wings sign D Ian White to 2-year, $5.75m contract

Rate this topic

White was a total dick in junior and has been on four NHL teams in 18 months.

Coincidentally, we're getting him for a bargain.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=453093

First, a thread from HF from 2007 to talk about his bad attitude when he was in Juniors?

He's had four years to grow up some. You're grasping for straws here.

Second, as if no one has ever been traded before.

Finally, bargin price and low risk.

Edited by e_prime

According to Cap Geek the Wings have $7,045,455 left. That includes 22 players on the roster:

--14 Forwards (including Mursak and Emmerton, noting that the Wings are rumoured to be looking for a trade involving Hudler)

--7 Defense (including Kindl as the 7th man)

--1 Goaltender

If they do end up moving Hudler the cap space will jump back up to $9,920,455.

If Holland is able to get one of the as-of-yet unsigned RFA defencemen (Yandle please) he'll move Kindl and use Commie as an affordable 7th d-man.

I doubt that will happen now.

Guest blueadams

I like the signing. Seems like the vast majority of us do. Young. Cheap. Better defensively than Raffy. A right handed shot. Fills a big need. Has fought before. Appears to check a little bit. Etc...etc...etc.

But, big picture..

We're still the exact same team as we were last year (and the year before, largely), minus rafalski and plus white. Little bit better defensively. Little bit worse offensively. Most of our core guys are a year older. Some of our young guys are a year more experienced.

Best case, we're still the third best team in the west behind Vancouver and Chicago. Worst-case, we could also be behind Chicago, Nashville, and a surprise team (like LA).

Holland still really needs to make an exceptional move or two if this season's going to be worth watching.

First, a thread from HF from 2007 to talk about his bad attitude when he was in Juniors?

He's had four years to grow up some. You're grasping for straws here.

Second, as if no one has ever been traded before.

Finally, bargin price and low risk.

The HF thing is from a book by Gare Joyce about scouting. I met the assistant coach who helped throw out White's equipment and he had said White had the biggest attitude problem he's seen in junior. These things don't just go away.

Three times in 18 months, and then not re-signed for a bargain price when he became available as a UFA. Tell me that doesn't sound off any alarm bells.

I've tried to be patient and optimistic, but this off-season has been really disappointing, even after last year didn't get us anything important we needed. The July 18th signing of Jason Williams, followed by Kenny's "Well, we're done making changes!" press conference that I can see coming is really going to send me over the edge.

I like the signing. Seems like the vast majority of us do. Young. Cheap. Better defensively than Raffy. A right handed shot. Fills a big need. Has fought before. Appears to check a little bit. Etc...etc...etc.

But, big picture..

We're still the exact same team as we were last year (and the year before, largely), minus rafalski and plus white. Little bit better defensively. Little bit worse offensively. Most of our core guys are a year older. Some of our young guys are a year more experienced.

Best case, we're still the third best team in the west behind Vancouver and Chicago. Worst-case, we could also be behind Chicago, Nashville, and a surprise team (like LA).

Holland still really needs to make an exceptional move or two if this season's going to be worth watching.

Chicago looks horrible right now, what are you talking about? They made the playoffs last year only because the Stars choked and then traded away the d-man that performed best for them in the playoffs. Steve Montador is not good.

im a big fan of this signing. but not a huge fan of white. players that used to be leafs give me a bad taste in my mouth. however that is a bargain. i really hope kindl gets a shot though.

my only bash on kenny at this point is that: Sj replaced white with Burns = net gain. We replaced Rafalski with White = wash. Sj still looks like the better team at this point imo. we'll see what else kenny has up his sleeve. i hope he isn't doe on d. id love to see ericsson moved for something....

where are people getting this better defensively than raffi from? was it from the 7 playoff games you saw him play? guy is terrible, trust me. i watched him play for the leafs for years, i just got a few texts from a couple of leaf friends of mine bashing the white signing. guess this is their payback when i did the same thing about lebda.

I can't wait to bump this thread in the middle of november when people are calling for his head.

would have been better off just playing smith instead.

I can't say I know that much about White, but it doesn't seem like with his addition and Rafalski's absence that the Wings are a better team than last year.

But, the critical difference, the Wings have tons and tons of cap space this year where they never normally do. They will be able to do whatever they want at the trade deadline. I have a feeling this team is still some months in the making...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

/ Mike Commodore ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,254,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,045,456

This team looks pretty good, and a lot of cap space on top of it :clap:

Are you really somewhat pleased or was that sarcasm?

where are people getting this better defensively than raffi from? was it from the 7 playoff games you saw him play? guy is terrible, trust me. i watched him play for the leafs for years, i just got a few texts from a couple of leaf friends of mine bashing the white signing. guess this is their payback when i did the same thing about lebda.

I can't wait to bump this thread in the middle of november when people are calling for his head.

would have been better off just playing smith instead.

It's sad when people here hope for a player on their team to do poorly just so they can rub it in everyone's face.

But, big picture..

Worse than Chicago? Huh? They lost in the first round last year after getting into the playoffs through the back door as an 8th seed then turned around and lost their #2 D-man.

And Nashville? The team that doesn't have anybody to score goals?

WTF?

it's not called hoping. it's knowing.

It's the internet age where anybody that can type can be a hater with no consequences...

Worse than Chicago? Huh? They lost in the first round last year after getting into the playoffs through the back door as an 8th seed then turned around and lost their #2 D-man.

And Nashville? The team that doesn't have anybody to score goals?

WTF?

It's the internet age where anybody that can type can be a hater with no consequences...

this board is full of them. get used to it. I am only basing it on what I have seen of white from the many leafs games i have watched. I admit, i stopped following him when he left the leafs, but the guy is nothing special and a liability in his own end. i would have rather seen kaberle, who is just as bad defensively and soft, but a much better passer and skater.

I will not post in this thread or about Ian White until the season starts. If he does well, I will gladly eat crow, but I expect him to be his same mediocre self.

Good day.

Guest Shoreline

But, big picture..

Like anyone believes you're going to find a reason to "watch" anyways.

Great signing Kenny, and with some cap room, it's possible to still get one extremely decent or two or three average signings done. This is more akin to what I figured Kenny would go for.

Whether or not it pays off we'll see.

i have seen enough of white play with his time with the leafs. if people complain about rafalski's questionable defensive play and give away's, you ain't seen nothing yet..

^^ This.

Commodore. Now White. The best Holland could do? <_<

The HF thing is from a book by Gare Joyce about scouting. I met the assistant coach who helped throw out White's equipment and he had said White had the biggest attitude problem he's seen in junior. These things don't just go away.

Again, we're talking about what he was like in junior. I'm sure the coach that threw his equipment out was a real humble and attitude free guy himself. Sounds about right if you're tossing someone's equipment out the back door. Real direct and mature way to handle the situation. A life lesson for White, I'm sure.

Three times in 18 months, and then not re-signed for a bargain price when he became available as a UFA. Tell me that doesn't sound off any alarm bells.

Alarm bells? No. Hardly.

SJS:

10 Forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 Goalies. They've got just under four million to shore up three roster spots -- likely forwards.

White became expendable when the Sharks traded for Burns.

Also, they went even more bargin with Jim Vandermeer for a cool million. Solely for veteran presence to round out their bottom tier defensemen. White wasn't going to sign with SJ for that price.

Prior to that he was traded from Carolina to SJ for a second rounder in order to bolster the Sharks D.

Sounds like a solid move and he played solidly for San Jose.

Prior trade: From Calgary to Carolina for Anton Babchuk. To quote the Hockey News: "This is a swap of a pair of underachieving defensemen, mainly. The 'Canes get the smaller White, who is usually a bit more reliable in his own end. Babchuk's big point shot could make him a strong candidate to see quality time on the power play. More than anything, this deal is a bit of a shakeup for the Flames."

He got traded from Calgary when Calgary was sucking and needed a change. He played solidly, but not spectacularly in Carolina and then was grabbed up by the team that beat us in the 2nd round to bolster their puck movement.

I've tried to be patient and optimistic, but this off-season has been really disappointing, even after last year didn't get us anything important we needed. The July 18th signing of Jason Williams, followed by Kenny's "Well, we're done making changes!" press conference that I can see coming is really going to send me over the edge.

<_<

Your optimism is lighting the way for all to follow. Hope this all works out for you, bro.

In the real world, Ken Holland has not thrown insane money at second rate free agents. I for one am relieved.