• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

Wings sign D Ian White to 2-year, $5.75m contract

Rate this topic

This is a very good deal IMO. Now Kronwall's ready to take over Rafalski's role at the #2 spot, and we have what I think is pretty good defensive depth. Might not be the same firepower as when we had Rafalski but I still like the corps, plus it's only a 2 year deal if things don't work.

EDIT: Forgot White is a righty. I wonder if he'll play #2 or not? Nah, who am I kidding.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

where are people getting this better defensively than raffi from? was it from the 7 playoff games you saw him play? guy is terrible, trust me. i watched him play for the leafs for years, i just got a few texts from a couple of leaf friends of mine bashing the white signing. guess this is their payback when i did the same thing about lebda.

I can't wait to bump this thread in the middle of november when people are calling for his head.

would have been better off just playing smith instead.

From reading the Sharks message boards... you know, people that have seen him play recently, it looks as if most people were wanting White back if they could afford to sign him, but once Burns was traded for, he seemed too expensive and unlikely to be re-signed.

Also, remind your friends how well Lebda played for the Laffs. Should even it out just a smidgen.

it's not called hoping. it's knowing.

Just like you know Smith is NHL ready?

this board is full of them. get used to it. I am only basing it on what I have seen of white from the many leafs games i have watched. I admit, i stopped following him when he left the leafs, but the guy is nothing special and a liability in his own end. i would have rather seen kaberle, who is just as bad defensively and soft, but a much better passer and skater.

I will not post in this thread or about Ian White until the season starts. If he does well, I will gladly eat crow, but I expect him to be his same mediocre self.

Good day.

Kaberle will sign for some stupid amount of money somewhere for way too long. He was over-valued by just about everyone at one point in time and showed his worth by failing to bolster Boston's powerplay. I am glad Holland did not sign him.

Edited by e_prime

Honestly people. For those saying white will be better defensively than Rafalski, you are out of your freaking minds, no offense.

The guy that benefits the most from this signing is ericcson since the forum will be distracted by whites defense, or lack thereof. That said, id rather sign white than mortgage the future in a trade, just hope you guys don't expect too much.

I'm okay with this.

I think White is a slight step-down offensively than Rafalski, but a slight step-up defensively as well. I think he can get the job done.

Another thing I like for next season...competition in the Bottom 3. You have 4 maybe 5 guys competing for 3 spots once training camp starts. I think this extra level of motivation is going to bring out the best in everyone.

So the Wings got a Commodore 64 yesterday and today they got a... Nintendo 64? But hey, Nintendo 64 is still a sweet system.

It'd be super awesome if the Wings found a way to acquire a Ninetendo Wii though since it has the ability to load Nintendo 64 games. ;)

Ian White is capable of playing the PP point but I bet he's not on the 1st unit. I remember Kenny saying something about how Kronwall could take Rafalski's spot on the PP, and to be honest that makes more sense to me than simply slotting Ian White there.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Kronwall

2nd unit... Hmm... If it were up to me the way I'm feeling right now:

Franzen-Filppula-Eaves (Bertuzzi 2nd)

Hudler (Kindl 2nd)-White

But who knows, maybe Babs simply can't shake off his need for every single threat possible on the power play, thus the focus for a right hand shot.

EDIT: Stupid double post.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

I'm 99.9% sure Ericsson will man one of the point positions on the PP next year.

Not saying it won't happen, but Ericsson hardly got a look at the PP last season. Kindl even got more PP than E.

Ericsson has a cannon apparently, but his windup is too slow and I wouldn't trust him out there at the point. Of course, Kindl is pretty scary there too, but he at least gets his shot off quicker.

Not saying it won't happen, but Ericsson hardly got a look at the PP last season. Kindl even got more PP than E.

Ericsson has a cannon apparently, but his windup is too slow and I wouldn't trust him out there at the point. Of course, Kindl is pretty scary there too, but he at least gets his shot off quicker.

This is true, but I'm guessing this is one of the things that Holland Babcock were talking about when they said Ericsson was going to get an "increased role" this year and that they expect more points out of him. I see the pairings as probably Lidstrom - White and Kronwall - Ericsson on the PP.

Realistically what were you expecting?

Weber, Suter, Burns, and Doughty.

Lidstrom - Weber

Suter - Burns

Doughty - Kronwall

Stuart

Are you saying you were expecting anything less? Fire Holland.

This is true, but I'm guessing this is one of the things that Holland Babcock were talking about when they said Ericsson was going to get an "increased role" this year and that they expect more points out of him. I see the pairings as probably Lidstrom - White and Kronwall - Ericsson on the PP.

If that's the case, I hope he's spending the offseason having Lidstrom show him how to get his slapshot off faster. And the value of shooting wide of the net if it means you avoid blasting the puck into a forward's shinguards.

If that's the case, I hope he's spending the offseason having Lidstrom show him how to get his slapshot off faster. And the value of shooting wide of the net if it means you avoid blasting the puck into a forward's shinguards.

The thing is we don't have Babcock's patented forward to put on the second unit point this year. Samuelsson, then Modano, now... no one is a fit back there. I certainly don't think Stuart will be back there. I guess he might use Commodore back there if he REALLY wants a right handed shot.

Weber, Suter, Burns, and Doughty.

Lidstrom - Weber

Suter - Burns

Doughty - Kronwall

Stuart

Are you saying you were expecting anything less? Fire Holland.

All we would have to give up is hudler, kindle, and a first rounder too. Kenny is the most passive GM in the world, what the hell is he doing!?!

Man I guess some people on here aren't very happy people...they complain that Holland doesn't do anything and they complain when he does something.

I personally will not say how good or bad this was until they hit the ice.

Amen to the first statement.

And geeze, what a concept on the bolded one!! If I could give this statement about 5 pluses, I would. Oh, what the hell... + + + + +

Ian White - 27 yrs old - 401 games - 143 pts - 2.875 million per

James Wisniewski - 27 yrs old - 329 games - 148 pts - 5.5 milion per

No doubt is Wiz is a better player but 2.625 per, either we really under paid or the BJ's severely over paid, I will take the latter on that one.

THANKS to both you and Jusek for your research. A little perspective never hurts. :thumbup: