• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#61 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

So now we have two new handsome Canadian defensemen who can hit and fight. *drool*

Edited by P. Marlowe, 02 July 2011 - 03:55 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#62 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

So now they have 14 forwards and 8 defencemen. If a trade doesn't materialize then the worst forward after the camp is gone either by trade or by waivers or, in case of clearing waivers, in the AHL (Emmerton).

MLive

If Smith makes the team out of camp Holland will make a trade of some sort. There's zero chance they keep Smith on the roster unless he's secured the 6th defensive spot. You don't let an asset like that rot in the pressbox when he could be playing 25 mins a night in Grand Rapids.

So now we have two new handsome Canadian defensemen who can hit and fight. *drool*

Holland obviously made a concerted effort to get meaner on the back end. The Wings D is bigger and tougher than it's been in a long time.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#63 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

If Holland is able to get one of the as-of-yet unsigned RFA defencemen (Yandle please) he'll move Kindl and use Commie as an affordable 7th d-man.

Would not be averse to this at all. ...but Holland isn't really doing any more work this offseason is he?? :ph34r:

Not all that knowledgable about him. Glad to see we signed someone, and people seem to think it's a bargain, so cool. Doesn't sound like he's anything to put us over the top, but if it pushes Big E down the depth chart I'm okay with it. Thumbs up, Holland!

Like the C64 signing, White will offer some serious competition for ice time for the D-men not named Kronwall, Stuart, and Lidstrom. I like this move. Hopefully the new D-coach will inspire some competition between them as well.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#64 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Great price for White!!!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#65 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

This signing is what the French would call "Le Insurance". If Kenny can't land a legit top 2 offensive d-man via trade he can sit tight for a bit longer and wait for an opportunity.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#66 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

BTW, he blocked 144 shots last season. Detroit's best was Kronwall with 129 blocks.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#67 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Would not be averse to this at all. ...but Holland isn't really doing any more work this offseason is he?? :ph34r:

Getting a 24 year old kid like Yandle is just the kind of thing Holland will push hard for. Yandle could be a cornerstone in Detroit for another 10 years.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#68 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

Getting a 24 year old kid like Yandle is just the kind of thing Holland will push hard for. Yandle could be a cornerstone in Detroit for another 10 years.

If the Wings somehow got Yandle...that'd be insane. But with signign White and Commodore, doesn't it seem like Holland is done there? Why bother signing Commodore at all, then? Maybe it was insurance, but now that he signed both, that boxes us out of any other defensemen probably, unless we do a sign and trade, which would be unheard of for Holland.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#69 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

Looks like Holland won't be in the Yandle sweepstakes.

How is White's speed? Hope he has some wheels

#70 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

If we get Yandle we win the Cup. We were only three goals behind leading the NHL in offense last year despite significant injuries to Cleary and Datsyuk and with Yandle we'd have the best defense in the NHL.

I certainly don't expect this to happen though and I'm not gonna flip out at Holland if he doesn't pull it off like many undoubtedly will.

#71 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

white fought markus naslund in '08-09 to a draw with an overall fight rating of 1.7.
Posted Image

#72 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

This is a good signing given the situation that the Free Agency went this year. We did not overpay for White, and he is pretty young at twenty seven years old. Holland, you redeemed yourself in my book. Commodore looks motivated to play and is an ample replacement for Salei, and White is an ample replacement for an aging and wore down by injuries Brian Rafalski.

White - Lids
Kronwall - Stuart

That is a solid top 4. Adding Yandle to that mix and I would cry of happiness.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#73 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
/ Mike Commodore ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,254,544; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,045,456

This team looks pretty good, and a lot of cap space on top of it :clap:

Edited by Shaman464, 02 July 2011 - 04:11 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#74 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

For the price I think that is a great signing. Glad to see the Wings getting decent replacements for Rafalski. I'm not a huge Ian White fan but IMO this is a pretty good signing. Now time for a goalie decision.

#75 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

much better than the ericsson deal.

#76 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Don't know a ton about him, but seems like a decent signing at a good price.

He's not gonna replace Rafalski's offense really, but with him, Commodore, and Ericsson, at least there's not some options on the bottom three of the blueline, and potential for guys to step up.

#77 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

if he can play better defensively than rafs and chip in 30 points a year, i'll be happy.

#78 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

This is a good signing, kinda takes a bit of the sting off Ericsson's overpayment. White will not single-handedly replace all of Rafalski's offense, but he has above average offensive instincts, a heavy shot from the point/high slot, and is a right-handed shot, which fits right into the role he is expected to play. Not bad defensively either.

Now, with the remaining ~6mil in cap space, lets bring in a sniper for the top 6, go into camp with 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and let the best lineup work itself out.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#79 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

How is this kids foot speed? Anyone?

#80 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

If they DO decide to sign another forward Arnott is really the only worthwhile one left that I can see. He was awful with the Devils last year, but everything about the Devils was awful last year.