• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#141 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

This is true, but I'm guessing this is one of the things that Holland Babcock were talking about when they said Ericsson was going to get an "increased role" this year and that they expect more points out of him. I see the pairings as probably Lidstrom - White and Kronwall - Ericsson on the PP.

If that's the case, I hope he's spending the offseason having Lidstrom show him how to get his slapshot off faster. And the value of shooting wide of the net if it means you avoid blasting the puck into a forward's shinguards.

#142 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

If that's the case, I hope he's spending the offseason having Lidstrom show him how to get his slapshot off faster. And the value of shooting wide of the net if it means you avoid blasting the puck into a forward's shinguards.

The thing is we don't have Babcock's patented forward to put on the second unit point this year. Samuelsson, then Modano, now... no one is a fit back there. I certainly don't think Stuart will be back there. I guess he might use Commodore back there if he REALLY wants a right handed shot.

#143 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

I would like to see Stuart over Ericsson on the PP

#144 Agalloch93

Agalloch93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

I think Stuart is an awful fit on the PP

#145 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

This is an adequate signing. Still think we're worse than last season as it stands though.

I think we are better defensively than we were last season. Tougher especially.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#146 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Weber, Suter, Burns, and Doughty.

Lidstrom - Weber
Suter - Burns
Doughty - Kronwall
Stuart

Are you saying you were expecting anything less? Fire Holland.

All we would have to give up is hudler, kindle, and a first rounder too. Kenny is the most passive GM in the world, what the hell is he doing!?!
"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#147 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

Man I guess some people on here aren't very happy people...they complain that Holland doesn't do anything and they complain when he does something.

I personally will not say how good or bad this was until they hit the ice.

Amen to the first statement.

And geeze, what a concept on the bolded one!! If I could give this statement about 5 pluses, I would. Oh, what the hell... + + + + +

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#148 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

white will be the new LGW whipping boy, you guys will see.

White the whipping boy?..How so?

I've seen the guy play since his days as a Maple Leaf; he's a solid 2-way Dman capable of logging 20 min a night, and 30 to 40 pts a season.

Yeah - he's not flashy, nor is he Nick Lidstrom, but he's better/more consistent (and cheaper) than Ericsson.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#149 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Ian White - 27 yrs old - 401 games - 143 pts - 2.875 million per

James Wisniewski - 27 yrs old - 329 games - 148 pts - 5.5 milion per

No doubt is Wiz is a better player but 2.625 per, either we really under paid or the BJ's severely over paid, I will take the latter on that one.

THANKS to both you and Jusek for your research. A little perspective never hurts. :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#150 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

You don't know anything about hockey, do you? Leafs fans, and especially Sharks fans LOVED having White. He's a very, very solid d-man and for this price, it's an absolute steal. Terrific signing, one of the best of the FA period considering how short the term is and how cheap the amount is.

This right here boys, and girls.

He's not flashy, doesn't deliver big hits, won't make end to end rushes with the puck, but he's a solid 2-way Dman capable of playing on the pp, and in a pinch (read injuries) to be a top 4 guy with the Red Wings.

Everywhere he's played - he's played well...6 months from now we'll be much happier to have had White than Wiz.

#151 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

How is this kids foot speed? Anyone?

Sorry if this has been answered...

His skating is very good; I'd say about the same as Kronner's.

#152 MonkeyGoalie

MonkeyGoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Young man, that kinda attitude is not tolerated here.

Which is why about half, or more, of my time reading things on here all I can do is shake my head :-D

#153 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

where are people getting this better defensively than raffi from? was it from the 7 playoff games you saw him play? guy is terrible, trust me. i watched him play for the leafs for years, i just got a few texts from a couple of leaf friends of mine bashing the white signing. guess this is their payback when i did the same thing about lebda.

I can't wait to bump this thread in the middle of november when people are calling for his head.

would have been better off just playing smith instead.

With all due respect you, and your friends don't know what you're talking about.

White was 1 of Toronto's more consistent Dmen on a bad team (that included Kaberle)...White, and Hal Gill made the "Fred & Barny" tandem in which most fans appreciated their respective abilities; Gill a stay at home guy whereas White swiftly moved the puck up ice.

He won't replace Rafalski's point toals (expect 10 to 15 less points per season), but White is better in his own end than Rafalski.

Damn good signing!

#154 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Nice pick, welcome aboard white.

#155 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

decent depth signing especially for the price but we need one or two more moves to be serious contenders.

#156 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

does anyone beside me think smith is getting screwed out of a roster spot ide rather we would have signed one elite d-men than 2 so, so d-men.

#157 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

does anyone beside me think smith is getting screwed out of a roster spot ide rather we would have signed one elite d-men than 2 so, so d-men.

It sounds good in theory to sign one elite d-man, but who was available?

#158 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

It sounds good in theory to sign one elite d-man, but who was available?

get wiz or ehrhoff. or get wiz and ehrhoff, and dont resign ericsson to a ridiculous contract!

also I would prefer smith over kindl, but i dont think kindl would make it through wavers, and i dont wanna lose him. also I believe janik is now an odd man out, as his contract is one way, and im not sure the other details of his contract. (yes I know that one way means you can still be sent to the minors)

Edited by wings1110, 02 July 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#159 Petrafire

Petrafire

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

White the whipping boy?..How so?

I've seen the guy play since his days as a Maple Leaf; he's a solid 2-way Dman capable of logging 20 min a night, and 30 to 40 pts a season.

Yeah - he's not flashy, nor is he Nick Lidstrom, but he's better/more consistent (and cheaper) than Ericsson.

30 to 40 points a season??? are you crazy he has only had 30+ points once

#160 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

get wiz or ehrhoff. or get wiz and ehrhoff, and dont resign ericsson to a ridiculous contract!

also I would prefer smith over kindl, but i dont think kindl would make it through wavers, and i dont wanna lose him. also I believe janik is now an odd man out, as his contract is one way, and im not sure the other details of his contract. (yes I know that one way means you can still be sent to the minors)

Wiz and Ehrhoff demanded too much money and too long of a deal. Holland didn't want to handcuff the future of the team with overpayment to overrated guys. The White and even Commodore signings seem very logical and i'm very happy with what Holand did given the situation presented. There will be better options available in the future and Kenny knows that, no need to blow money all over the place just because we have it. And I don't feel like Smith is NHL ready, another year in GR most certainly won't hurt.
"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg