• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what the Leafs were thinking when they got him, and what the Preds were thinking when they picked him up.

I kind of feel bad for him. I never liked him on the Wings, but he was one of us, so I cheered him on. It must really suck to go from "Stanley Cup Champion" to "on waivers awaiting buy-out".

#62 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Lebda = 1 Cup

Thornton/Iginla/Luongo = 0 Cups

Edited by GMRwings1983, 06 August 2011 - 04:32 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#63 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

So basically they gave up Cody Franson and Matt Lombardi for a prospect that will never make the team, they have to pay Lebda $1mil to not play, and if Lombardi does not play 60 games over the next 2 seasons they have to give the Leafs a 4th rounder. I hope this sends a message to their guys and around the league that they are not serious about putting a winning team on the ice. I kinda feel for Barry Trotz. He probably could be a Stanley Cup winning coach if he was on almost any other team.

#64 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Lebda = 1 Cup

Thornton/Iginla/Luongo = 0 Cups

This says it all

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#65 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

link

Second paragraph. Buyout may not be possible. Hmmmm......

#66 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

As Predators blog On The Forecheck notes, an NHL rule prohibits teams with only one salary arbitration hearing from buying out players outside of a June 15-30 window; the Predators, given recent events, appear to fall in that category. If that's the case, a Lebda buyout may not be possible

#67 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

PICK HIM UP KENNY! :thumbup:

just kidding.

You know, it would not surprise me. Unfortunately. Sigh.

#68 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what the Leafs were thinking when they got him, and what the Preds were thinking when they picked him up.

So basically they gave up Cody Franson and Matt Lombardi for a prospect that will never make the team, they have to pay Lebda $1mil to not play, and if Lombardi does not play 60 games over the next 2 seasons they have to give the Leafs a 4th rounder. I hope this sends a message to their guys and around the league that they are not serious about putting a winning team on the ice. I kinda feel for Barry Trotz. He probably could be a Stanley Cup winning coach if he was on almost any other team.

it was basically a salary dump from the preds perspective. they didnt want to pay lombardi the $7million he is owed, so to entice the leafs to take him, they gave away Franson and took Lebda back.

#69 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

You know, it would not surprise me. Unfortunately. Sigh.

Yeah, because Kenny is the worst GM in the world, right? Because he'd do something this stupid, right?

No, wait. Why would this not surprise you? It'd be a terrible move. Kenny is not an imbecile and has no history of doing this sort of thing. I can only think that this is yet another insensible criticism of Holland.

#70 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, because Kenny is the worst GM in the world, right? Because he'd do something this stupid, right?

No, wait. Why would this not surprise you? It'd be a terrible move. Kenny is not an imbecile and has no history of doing this sort of thing. I can only think that this is yet another insensible criticism of Holland.

What sort of thing?

Posted Image

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 August 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:26 AM

What sort of thing?

Posted Image

When one of your scorers takes you to arbitration, thus delaying you for a month, during which time all of the good free-agent forwards are signed, and then bolts for Russia, what do you do? You sign the guys who are still available. Williams was one of the few, and he had scored 20 goals in the prior season.

Nice try.

#72 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:07 AM

I'd love to see the preds get stuck with LebDERP.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#73 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

When one of your scorers takes you to arbitration, thus delaying you for a month, during which time all of the good free-agent forwards are signed, and then bolts for Russia, what do you do? You sign the guys who are still available. Williams was one of the few, and he had scored 20 goals in the prior season.

Nice try.

Holland traded him in 2007 because he knew that Williams was a soft, lazy player. He freaking traded him for Kyle Calder for pete's sake.

Re-signing him was as dumb a move as Holland has made.

#74 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

Holland traded him in 2007 because he knew that Williams was a soft, lazy player. He freaking traded him for Kyle Calder for pete's sake.

Re-signing him was as dumb a move as Holland has made.

Williams was a cheap scorer who had been far more successful both in Detroit his first go and after leaving than he was the year he came back. It was a good move up front which simply didn't pan out. I am willing to bet that he has a resurgent season this year; he turns 31 this week and so he still has plenty of mileage.

Williams is also a much better player than Lebda; Lebda is a weak third-pair defenseman while Williams was a top-six forward. It's not at all the same situation.

I can see Chicago making a move for him to replace Campbell, though on the hype he apparently carries.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#75 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Ledba to Pittsburgh. (e42)

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#76 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Williams was a cheap scorer who had been far more successful both in Detroit his first go and after leaving than he was the year he came back. It was a good move up front which simply didn't pan out. I am willing to bet that he has a resurgent season this year; he turns 31 this week and so he still has plenty of mileage.

Williams is also a much better player than Lebda; Lebda is a weak third-pair defenseman while Williams was a top-six forward. It's not at all the same situation.

I can see Chicago making a move for him to replace Campbell, though on the hype he apparently carries.

Lebda stuck around in Detroit for several seasons. Longer than he should have. I can see Holland bringing him back if he needs some cheap depth and a guy that has played in the system before.

It's not a much different situation really.

Oh and Williams is a top-six forward like I am Frank Sinatra.

#77 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I can see Holland bringing him back if he needs some cheap depth and a guy that has played in the system before.

Yup. Sounds like a reasonable idea but it's Bart f***in Lebderp.

#78 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Yup. Sounds like a reasonable idea but it's Bart f***in Lebderp.

I agree, but that same person played in the organization for 5 years.

If they hated him, they would have never let him stay that long.

#79 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

I would take him back in heartbeat as a griffon.

#80 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Lebda stuck around in Detroit for several seasons. Longer than he should have. I can see Holland bringing him back if he needs some cheap depth and a guy that has played in the system before.

It's not a much different situation really.

Oh and Williams is a top-six forward like I am Frank Sinatra.

At the time he was brought back, Williams was a top-six forward. His post-lockout average before coming back to Detroit was 20 goals and 31 assists per 82 games. That's a top six forward. He might not be able to play at that level now, but he was there then.

I would take him back in heartbeat as a griffon.

Lebda/Kolosov as a second pair in Grand Rapids? Sure.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."