• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Wings looking to sign Drury?

Rate this topic

Saw this on Facebook from Detroit Sports Nation, not sure how credible they are with rumors:

Detroit Sports Nation

Little bit of Red Wings rumor news to pass along your way...some believe they are kicking the tires on Chris Drury, who was recently bought out by the Rangers. The 34 year old was the captain of the Rangers for the past 3 seasons. Thoughts?

EDIT: Can a mod fix the spelling of Drury's name, guess that's what happens when you are trying to type fast and don't proofread

Edited by Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

I dunno...I guess it's good for depth. I don't really care if it's on a one year basis.

Here's my complaint though. I love the Wings, but these "filler" players are becoming annoying. At first I understood that it was due to the salary cap, but as time goes on and it seems to be affecting us more and taking up more roster space, I'm a little less convinced. Particularly given the cap space we now have.

Players like Bertuzzi, Hudler, Miller (because he's redundant, not because he's useless) and (sadly, as of recently) Holmstrom. These are players that don't necessarily hurt the roster, but they're not actively helping us win. It feels like they're just...there. They adequately fill a roster spot, and as is so important to Holland, we haven't over-paid them.

I understand that this won't change this season, so why not add another one in Drury? But after the contracts of Bertuzzi, Holmstrom and Hudler are up, I want them all gone. And if we sign Drury, I want him gone too. (Sorry to Holmstrom, who is one of my favorite Wings of the past decade, but it's time to retire.)

Those are my hopes for next off-season. And I will be so pissed if Drury screws that up.

Edited by Zetts

Guest blueadams

Saw this on Facebook from Detroit Sports Nation, not sure how credible they are with rumors:

EDIT: Can a mod fix the spelling of Drury's name, guess that's what happens when you are trying to type fast and don't proofread

I'd love to sign him to a one or two year deal. He's great defensively still. He'd also enable Hank or Val to move to the wing.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Drury-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Mursak

Miller

I dunno...I guess it's good for depth. I don't really care if it's on a one year basis.

Here's my complaint though. I love the Wings, but these "filler" players are becoming annoying. At first I understood that it was due to the salary cap, but as time goes on and it seems to be affecting us more and taking up more roster space, I'm a little less convinced. Particularly given the cap space we now have.

Yes. I was a fan of them a few years ago, and even the Modano signing, but so far all our young guys are shaping up to be bottom 6 guys. We have a LOT of depth in this way. THe problem last year was a lack of a consistent, reliable scorer outside of Zetterberg and Datsyuk due to injuries and bad seasons by individuals. If we add any forward, it needs to be a Top 6, reliable scorer, not a declining vet who might pot a few on and off throughout the year.

Agreed. Chris Drury used to be a wings killer

He used to drive me nuts, watching him play against us when he was with the Avs. If we got him, I'd love to think he still had some of that piss-ant attitude.

I would take him in a heartbeat, but I don't know enough about what's going on with him health wise to say "we should definitely go after him". Does anybody know how bad his knee is? Would he miss the first few months of the season?

This isn't even a good rumor, most rumors have him playing for the same team Chris Bourque just came from, Rob Neidermeier is supposed to be going to that team this year also, i believe the name is Lugano.