• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Wings offered Jovanovski 2 years, $5 million

Rate this topic

Sorry if this was already posted. I was wondering if you guys knew this...

The Wings offered two years and $5 million to Windsor's Ed Jovanovski; he got $16.5 million and four years from Florida

Article

Have to say that I'm happy he turned it down so we could sign White instead.

So we were interested in most of Florida's pick-ups. (Jovo, Upshall, Fliechsmann) I wonder what the contract offers to the forwards were like..

Probably less than half the amount. :P

Also in the article...

The Wings were interested in signing Tomas Fleischmann until they saw his medical reports.

Probably less than half the amount. :P

Also in the article...

The other thing to discuss is about the CBA and Revenue Sharing. I was reading a blog the other day about how teams like the Panthers receive revenue sharing money (from teams like DET, MTL, TOR etc.) And now in this market they are able to out-bid the same teams for players that both "small market" and "original 6" are vying for.

Doesnt make sense that they can be out-bidding us with OUR OWN MONEY, does it? This is not to say that I am saddened by our inability to acquire the players mentioned - quite the opposite.

I dont know this for sure or anything but I would imagine that the Jovo contract offer would have been in lieu of the Commodore signing. I dont think it was Jovo or White....it was probably Jovo or Commodore.

Guest echos myron

Good. I got enough ****** chills when they played against Phoenix.

The other thing to discuss is about the CBA and Revenue Sharing. I was reading a blog the other day about how teams like the Panthers receive revenue sharing money (from teams like DET, MTL, TOR etc.) And now in this market they are able to out-bid the same teams for players that both "small market" and "original 6" are vying for.

Doesnt make sense that they can be out-bidding us with OUR OWN MONEY, does it? This is not to say that I am saddened by our inability to acquire the players mentioned - quite the opposite.

This is exactly how the system is supposed to work and allow smaller markets to compete. The smaller markets are still going to have a very hard time financially, even with the payments they receive from other teams if they have to make minimum payroll of $48 million.

This is exactly how the system is supposed to work and allow smaller markets to compete. The smaller markets are still going to have a very hard time financially, even with the payments they receive from other teams if they have to make minimum payroll of $48 million.

That's kind of how it's supposed to work. It should give them the flexibility to sign players but there definitely is an issue with the Cap Floor being where it is. Obviously the league wants these teams to reinvest the rev sharing money into players but over spending on individual players (and thus driving up the prices for comparable players) is what (essentially) cost this league a season with the lockout.

Smaller market teams need to be able to contend for free agents. But a lot of the spending has been out of control because those teams have to meet the floor and the free agent pool wasn't deep. Part of the issue is also that over the last few years teams locked up so many of the marquee players to exessively long deals - which dwindles the FA pool each summer.

What happens when next summer's group of FA look to this summer for salary comparisons? If Jovo is work $4M and change then next summer players will want more cash.

Small market teams should be able to use the rev sharing to get players but when they are constrained by the cap floor it creates over spending. The more bad (overpaid) contracts we see the more trouble the league could conceivably get into.

Edited by mmamolo