• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Drew Doughty

Rate this topic

My opinion is that Holland would never send an offer sheet to an RFA because he knows better. Also, in any of these "pipe dream" trade ideas, Smith would have to be involved in every one of them and I would much rather let him develop and see if he can become a Doughty-type player than to lose him and regret the decision later.

To deal Smith for Doughty or Yandle would be a mistake. You are going to trade a kid who has just as much potential as those two and will more than likely be up full-time in one season. I'd rather not do that when our defense is set for this up-coming season.

Those who are freaking out need to realize that we have gotten better defensively this off-season and will only dip a small amount in defensive points.

To deal Smith for Doughty or Yandle would be a mistake. You are going to trade a kid who has just as much potential as those two and will more than likely be up full-time in one season. I'd rather not do that when our defense is set for this up-coming season.

Those who are freaking out need to realize that we have gotten better defensively this off-season and will only dip a small amount in defensive points.

QFT

The Rafalski we had last year, although still productive, was not the Rafalski of 08 - His body was breaking down and it was noticeable, especially defensively in our own zone... he has never been able to overpower guys with his strength, but this past year, he couldn't even make up for it the same with his speed, as that was noticeably decreased... with Raffi's body breaking down I would say that White is a definite upgrade defensively of Rafalski of '10-'11 and is only a small downgrade offensively, especially since he may have a career year point wise if he's paired with Kronwall or esepcially if he sees time with Lidstrom...

Also, Commodore is a marked improvement over Salei, defensively and offensively, and especially if he's true to his words and comes to camp in the best shape of his career, as he's been quoted as saying he plans on doing, and plays with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, he could be one of the steals of the off-season...

I think dealing Smith for Yandle is a mistake. Especially because the deal probably wouldn't stop until you tacked on a couple picks/prospects more. For Doughty though, I'd send Smith packing. Mainly because Smith sounds like a Mike Green-type whereas Doughty gets the Ray Bourque comparisons. I'll take the better DEFENSEman all day.

QFT

The Rafalski we had last year, although still productive, was not the Rafalski of 08 - His body was breaking down and it was noticeable, especially defensively in our own zone... he has never been able to overpower guys with his strength, but this past year, he couldn't even make up for it the same with his speed, as that was noticeably decreased... with Raffi's body breaking down I would say that White is a definite upgrade defensively of Rafalski of '10-'11 and is only a small downgrade offensively, especially since he may have a career year point wise if he's paired with Kronwall or esepcially if he sees time with Lidstrom...

Also, Commodore is a marked improvement over Salei, defensively and offensively, and especially if he's true to his words and comes to camp in the best shape of his career, as he's been quoted as saying he plans on doing, and plays with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, he could be one of the steals of the off-season...

I definitely agree in theory. But I'm still so apprehensive about this upcoming season...there's so much uncertainty about how the D will perform. I specifically recall Rafalski being out for a bit last season, our play taking a big drop and then suddenly turning around when he came back. I think that his outlet passes were severely underrated. I hope that I'm just being irrational though and focusing on one (hopefully non-representative) time.

Edit: Although another promising thing is the absence of McCrimmon...we'll see how that plays out.

Edited by Zetts

I definitely agree in theory. But I'm so still apprehensive about this upcoming season...there's so much uncertainty about how the D will perform. I specifically recall Rafalski being out for a bit last season, our play taking a big drop and then suddenly turning around when he came back. I think that his outlet passes were severely underrated. I hope that I'm just being irrational though and focusing on one (hopefully non-representative) time.

Don't get me wrong, Rafalski, even at a 70%, is a top 20 d-man in the league and was great at QB'ing the offense, made great passes, had great vision and was great on the PP and that's not easily replaced... however, I think we're improved as a team, as a whole, defensively... White is better defensively than Rafalski, so although we may be losing goals offensively, I think we'll be seeing less given up defensively, so I think it will basically even out...

With that said, I can definitely see your apprehension... anytime there is any roster turn-over, let alone a top 2 d-man, there are always growing pains and just gelling as a team can be difficult, which is why I was so happy to see Eaves and to a lesser extent, Miller re-signed... that continuity and chemistry can go a long way...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Crymson

I agree. I think we'll do just fine. Improvements can be made, but only if they're worth it.

Brendan Smith has as much potential as Drew Doughty or Keith Yandle?

Doughty is ten months younger and has been nominated for the Norris, and has been challenging for it for years.

Yandle is only two years and seven months older, and he is also an elite defenseman. At Smith's age he scored 30 points in 69 games. For Phoenix.

Brendan Smith is still a developing prospect who could potentially play in the NHL, but would almost certainly not achieve a level even close to that of Doughty or Yandle.

If I had the option to trade Smith and a first rounder for Doughty? I'd do it. For Yandle? Sure. That's a heartbeat trade, take it every time. Add on Tatar, and I'll still make the deal. You're trading a skilled defense prospect who is just about to burst into the NHL at 22-23 for an elite defenseman who can play both ends, who will anchor your blue line for years to come. If you don't want to give up a "maybe he'll be a top defenseman" to get a "he already is a top defenseman!", you should get out of the pretend GM stuff. Because that's a no-brainer.

Guest Crymson

Seems like we've discussed this topic a lot...

Anyway, I'm all for getting one of the best defencemen in the league, not to mention how young he is.

Puck Daddy (Wysh, not douchebag Lambert) wrote up a good piece on Doughty's demands:

Now that the Los Angeles Kings' dalliance with Brad Richards(notes) has concluded, the focus shifts to getting 21-year-old defenseman Drew Doughty(notes) under contract. But the devil's in the details for Doughnuts.

From Helene Elliott of the LA Times, in a piece about the Kings signing Simon Gagne(notes) on Saturday:

They have exchanged proposals with Doughty's agent, Don Meehan, but no deal is imminent for the 21-year-old defenseman, who might command an average of $7 million a year. Lombardi was in the offices of Meehan's firm, Newport Sports, Friday but they didn't meet. Although that seems odd, Hextall called the process "normal negotiations back and forth."

Wow. Is Drew Doughty a $7 million-a-year player?

If Doughty were to make $7 million against the cap, he would have the second-highest cap his among defensemen in the NHL behind Brian Campbell's(notes) lamentable contract ($7.14 million).

If he were to make a $7 million base salary next season, he would be tied for sixth-highest wage for a defenseman in the NHL — tied with Brent Seabrook(notes) and James Wisniewski(notes), behind Christian Ehrhoff(notes), Zdeno Chara(notes), Duncan Keith(notes), Chris Pronger(notes), Brian Campbell and Kevin Bieksa(notes).

That's a few Norris Trophies and a lot of unrestricted-free-agent inflation right there. And eight players much older than Doughty as well.

That salary would also make him the highest paid player on the Kings, which is something The Fourth Period reported last week that Doughty is desirous to become. From TFP:

A source close to the situation confirmed to TFP that Doughty is looking for an annual salary worth more than the $6.8 million star center Anze Kopitar(notes) is currently earning.

Doughty, 21, is a restricted free agent. He had a cap hit of $3.475 million last season. It was originally believed that Doughty's salary would hover around the $6 million to $6.5 million, per year, but that no longer appears to be the case.

Doughty may very well make $7 million next season or more on a front-loaded deal ahead of the next CBA negotiation. (One of the most prominent trends in the NHL this summer.) But it's hard to imagine that it'll be a $7 million annual hit under GM Dean Lombardi, who talked with LA Kings Insider about how a contract term can make these types of deals fit better:

"One of the things that allows for flexibility is the term. One of the things that can happen, that can make negotiations tougher, is if you get locked into a certain term, and then it just becomes a numbers issue. At least, in this case — and given the quality of the player — you have more flexibility as far as term."

With Doughty, the most important question isn't "how much?" but "how long?"

Brendan Smith has as much potential as Drew Doughty or Keith Yandle?

Doughty is ten months younger and has been nominated for the Norris, and has been challenging for it for years.

Yandle is only two years and seven months older, and he is also an elite defenseman. At Smith's age he scored 30 points in 69 games. For Phoenix.

Brendan Smith is still a developing prospect who could potentially play in the NHL, but would almost certainly not achieve a level even close to that of Doughty or Yandle.

If I had the option to trade Smith and a first rounder for Doughty? I'd do it. For Yandle? Sure. That's a heartbeat trade, take it every time. Add on Tatar, and I'll still make the deal. You're trading a skilled defense prospect who is just about to burst into the NHL at 22-23 for an elite defenseman who can play both ends, who will anchor your blue line for years to come. If you don't want to give up a "maybe he'll be a top defenseman" to get a "he already is a top defenseman!", you should get out of the pretend GM stuff. Because that's a no-brainer.

See now you're throwing Tatar in and getting a tad silly. I think these players would be good here, but at what cost? Smith WILL play in the NHL and he has the potential to be every bit of the player Yandle is right now. He may not be quite in the league of Doughty, but I think he'll do just fine and be a solid top 3 d-man. Tatar will be a solid top 6 forward in this league and has shown some promise on the offensive and defensive fronts.

Our defense, as is, is just fine. We'll get a top 2 man at the trade deadline or next off-season.