• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

"We feel good with the people we have," Holland said

Rate this topic

There's no reason to leave $7M for the trade deadline. $3M is plenty so we basically will have $4M to sign a backup and make another move.

No reason to spend it just to spend it either. The Wings are obviously not opposed to spending up to the cap, but they're not just going to sign guys just to sign them. It makes no sense. There's no way we sign anyone new at this point sans a backup goalie at what will likely be less than $1 million.

At this point, signing anyone else means more press box rotation for guys who shouldn't be in the press box. If anything is to happen, I'd expect that we'll see a package that sends Flip, Hudler, a defenseman (probably Ericsson) plus picks out for a 2nd/3rd line forward and a bonafide top-4 defenseman. I don't see Hudler getting dealt outside of a package with someone actually valuable like Flip. I just can't imagine Hudler/Ericsson/picks would be enticing enough for anyone to move a legit top-4 defenseman. You need someone who's proven to be a valuable asset to get anything of value and the only guy we have like that that's tradable is Flip.

I don't like speculating too much on this stuff though, and I honestly don't really think much if anything will happen. Holland's proven himself to be more cautious with trades lately and while our defense is far from perfect, it's got plenty of potential. In my mind, nothing is going to happen if it doesn't make all the sense in the world to Holland. That won't be easy.

Guest Crymson

Thanks. I'm hoping we'll see Holland trade for Yandle. He's welcome to trade almost anyone for him. Yandle's going to be a stud for another decade. :thumbup:

Yes, though he'll need to issue a formal apology to Hank first!

idk what young top defense men are rfa/ufa next year but i think holland needs to try to grab one of the few that are up for grabs right now.

if he tries to trade for one of them next year its going to cost them an arm and a leg

I'm looking forward to:

Ryan Suter, NAS

Depending on arbitration (maybe):

Keith Yandle - QUE (PHX)

Drew Doughtry - LAK

Shea Weber - NAS

I'm know there's a couple big one's I'm forgetting but I'm not about to spend the hour it would take to look it up on an edge network, lol.

Guest Crymson

I'm looking forward to:

Ryan Suter, NAS

Keith Yandle - QUE (PHX)

Drew Doughtry - LAK

Shea Weber - NAS

I'm know there's a couple big one's I'm forgetting but I'm not about to spend the hour it would take to look it up on an edge network, lol.

Doughty is not eligible for arbitration this season.

Guest echos myron

Seeing Mursak as a reserve while Miller starts, shudder.

nice signature

Guest Crymson

Just imagine how Holland would've handled this is Rafalski was still on the payroll for next season.

I imagine that it would have been a much easier situation for him. Beyond that, I don't know what you're implying.

I imagine that it would have been a much easier situation for him. Beyond that, I don't know what you're implying.

Well.. what I meant by that was, if Rafalski was still on the team, does Holland make any moves at all? Ian White probably doesn't come here but there were still needs that this team had even with Rafalski.

No reason to spend it just to spend it either. The Wings are obviously not opposed to spending up to the cap, but they're not just going to sign guys just to sign them. It makes no sense. There's no way we sign anyone new at this point sans a backup goalie at what will likely be less than $1 million.

At this point, signing anyone else means more press box rotation for guys who shouldn't be in the press box. If anything is to happen, I'd expect that we'll see a package that sends Flip, Hudler, a defenseman (probably Ericsson) plus picks out for a 2nd/3rd line forward and a bonafide top-4 defenseman. I don't see Hudler getting dealt outside of a package with someone actually valuable like Flip. I just can't imagine Hudler/Ericsson/picks would be enticing enough for anyone to move a legit top-4 defenseman. You need someone who's proven to be a valuable asset to get anything of value and the only guy we have like that that's tradable is Flip.

I don't like speculating too much on this stuff though, and I honestly don't really think much if anything will happen. Holland's proven himself to be more cautious with trades lately and while our defense is far from perfect, it's got plenty of potential. In my mind, nothing is going to happen if it doesn't make all the sense in the world to Holland. That won't be easy.

Actually I would say depending on the pick that would be enough. Our dmen are overrated through out the league. Think about it Holland most likely signed Ericsson for what other teams were offering, not to mention the pay day Lebda got, and even Quincy got love out in LA and CO. So if you gave Hudler (who sucks now, but has proven he can play) and a defenseman who some think could be a top 4 (yes they are crazy), plus a 2nd or 1st you could probably get something decent.

Also as far as the cap space, I'd rather see a trade of one of our depth players and gain from a team trying to shed money. We eat up some cap space and gain some hopefully muscle. I also would like to see Conklin as our back up.

I have a good feeling about this season

Guest Crymson

Well.. what I meant by that was, if Rafalski was still on the team, does Holland make any moves at all? Ian White probably doesn't come here but there were still needs that this team had even with Rafalski.

It's impossible to say, but I imagine that yes, White probably still would have been pursued by Holland. His asking price was not high.

I'm looking forward to:

Ryan Suter, NAS

Keith Yandle - QUE (PHX)

Drew Doughtry - LAK

Shea Weber - NAS

Add another interesting name to the list of RFA possibilities:

Marc-Andre Gragnani (24 yrs old, pt/g player in AHL and put 7pts up in 7 games in the playoffs for the Sabres this year)

Buffalo only has $354,643 in cap space right now and still has to fill their back-up goaltender spot as well as allow room for a call-up on defence (only 6 D-men signed).

Gragnani looks like he'll be a stud and Buffalo will have to figure something out to sign him.

Andrej Sekera is in the same boat as Gragnani at Buffalo.

Indeed. And since Sekera has more NHL experience and will come cheaper, I suspect the Sabres may have a tough time picking which of the two they keep (if they have to choose one).

So we're gonna sign a backup Goalie and have a ton of money to play with at the deadline? I'm cool with that! I really want Kenny to pickup a top six forward this season. If we don't get one until the deadline that's fine. How about this for a faptastic sports wetdream. Phoenix is completely out of the playoff race by the deadline, which is very possible. Kenny pulls the trigger and adds Shane Doan for a rental. I can't think of a better player available at the deadline to add to this team than Shane Doan. He's big, he can score goals and he likes to smash everything in sight. Not to mention his hunger factor. A deadline deal this season would be his best shot at winning a cup. Obviously a lot of factors have to take place in order for something like this to happen. Phoenix needs to suck (by the looks of their team, they will). Hopefully Doan and Phoenix don't get a contract extension worked out before the deadline. And lastly Doan would have to waive his NMC. If the above things happen, and a team like the Wings comes calling, I think he will.

Edited by Johnny Diamonds

Guest Hatethedrake!

It sounds as if Kenny is done after he signs a back-up goalie. I don't like 6 mil in Cap space left either but who is Kenny supposed to get? I don't like the fact that Hudler is still on the team but who are we going to replace him with? There is nothing left as far as UFAs go. Who can we trade for? Kenny says he's getting some trade calls from other teams but he must not like what they are offering or else a deal would have been made by now. There are still 3 more months until the season starts so something may end up happening. kenny will likely keep the team the way it is and look to upgrade at the trade deadline. The problem with that is so will everyone else so the prices will be high. Just because you have Cap space doesn't mean a team will give you what you want. I don't blame Kenny for not overpaying like most teams did in the weak UFA class. I believe we are a scoring winger away from being a true contender. If Kenny can get a guy like Semin (just an example) then I would like our chances in the playoffs. I don't mind our team the way it is right now. I just can't see us winning a Cup with it.

So we're gonna sign a backup Goalie and have a ton of money to play with at the deadline? I'm cool with that! I really want Kenny to pickup a top six forward this season. If we don't get one until the deadline that's fine. How about this for a faptastic sports wetdream. Phoenix is completely out of the playoff race by the deadline, which is very possible. Kenny pulls the trigger and adds Shane Doan for a rental. I can't think of a better player available at the deadline to add to this team than Shane Doan. He's big, he can score goals and he likes to smash everything in sight. Not to mention his hunger factor. A deadline deal this season would be his best shot at winning a cup. Obviously a lot of factors have to take place in order for something like this to happen. Phoenix needs to suck (by the looks of their team, they will). Hopefully Doan and Phoenix don't get a contract extension worked out before the deadline. And lastly Doan would have to waive his NMC. If the above things happen, and a team like the Wings comes calling, I think he will.

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski. He'd be exactly what we need to compliment Franzen, a guy who can stick up for him and drives the net hard. Phoenix's ownership problems along with the constant team moving rumors has got to be getting to Shane, the guy has been the Coyotes best player by far against us in the past 2 playoffs, and while you hate him when he's beating up on your team, he'd be my favorite player if we were to acquire him. For a chance to win the Cup, I think he'd waive his NMC too, I know he's said he wants to stay with the Coyotes for life.. but there's just nothing there anymore. They lose Bryz, Jovo, amongst others. They are barely better then Edmonton now, and we're a Shane Doan type away from winning the Cup. Seems like a perfect match.

I hope we ink Conks back again for a coulpe. As far as any other additions I'm going to sit tight and see how the Hudler situation goes. Our D core really impress me as a group and I think they'll be great imo, so I think we are pretty D heavy when you look at GR as well. I'll look for a Huds/GRDman and a 3rd combo before to long.

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski. He'd be exactly what we need to compliment Franzen, a guy who can stick up for him and drives the net hard. Phoenix's ownership problems along with the constant team moving rumors has got to be getting to Shane, the guy has been the Coyotes best player by far against us in the past 2 playoffs, and while you hate him when he's beating up on your team, he'd be my favorite player if we were to acquire him. For a chance to win the Cup, I think he'd waive his NMC too, I know he's said he wants to stay with the Coyotes for life.. but there's just nothing there anymore. They lose Bryz, Jovo, amongst others. They are barely better then Edmonton now, and we're a Shane Doan type away from winning the Cup. Seems like a perfect match.

We won't need a compliment for Franzen cuz we're gonna trade him to Phoenix for Yandle. :lol:

Edited by nuts2u

Before LGW has another "Kenny suckz!" uproar please read the quote below. In fact, the OP might want to edit and add this into the OP.

“We like our team, but we’re ready to make another move or two—whether it’s a signing or a trade—to make our team better this summer,” Holland said.

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer. And so far, Ian White and Mike Commodore are laughable additions. White couldn't find a spot on the 3rd or 4th worse team in the NHL. And aside from hitting, what else is Commodore going to bring? <_< Forgive the arrogance here, but we are the Detroit Red Wings, not the Maple Leafs or the Bluejackets.

Geez, last year we needed to add at least one more top 6 or 9 goal scorer to our forwards. This year the team is definitely weaker, and all we have is the same-old-same-old from Holland. The famous, "wait and see, I won't overpay, I won't rush even if it means waiting until the trade deadline. I have a plan ..." nonsense.

As many have started asking the past few weeks, what the hell is Lidstrom thinking right now, as Holland hasn't done anything at all to improve our club. Not good enough, Mr. Holland. Not good enough at all.

Edited by motorcitykid