• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

"We feel good with the people we have," Holland said

Rate this topic

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer.

The "We like our team" or "We like our depth" part I recall him saying every summer but not the "We're ready to make another move or two" part. More power to you if you can find articles that say otherwise but my guess is he only says the latter when he has more of a willingness to make a move.

Guest Crymson

Geez, last year we needed to add at least one more top 6 or 9 goal scorer to our forwards. This year the team is definitely weaker, and all we have is the same-old-same-old from Holland. The famous, "wait and see, I won't overpay, I won't rush even if it means waiting until the trade deadline. I have a plan ..." nonsense.

Yeah, it was the same thing that he said in 2007, when we lost Lang and Calder and only added Drake. And then he didn't use most of the space he had at the deadline, either.

Damn!

Just got back from a vacation in San Francisco, and was hoping to read that Holland actually made a good move.

That's what I get for hoping. <_<

And no, I've never been the biggest fan of Ian White. Hope he proves me wrong and becomes a good player here.

Edited by GMRwings1983

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer. And so far, Ian White and Mike Commodore are laughable additions. White couldn't find a spot on the 3rd or 4th worse team in the NHL. And aside from hitting, what else is Commodore going to bring? <_< Forgive the arrogance here, but we are the Detroit Red Wings, not the Maple Leafs or the Bluejackets.

Geez, last year we needed to add at least one more top 6 or 9 goal scorer to our forwards. This year the team is definitely weaker, and all we have is the same-old-same-old from Holland. The famous, "wait and see, I won't overpay, I won't rush even if it means waiting until the trade deadline. I have a plan ..." nonsense.

As many have started asking the past few weeks, what the hell is Lidstrom thinking right now, as Holland hasn't done anything at all to improve our club. Not good enough, Mr. Holland. Not good enough at all.

White played for, and contributed to the Sharks team last year who, lest you forget, beat us in the playoffs.

As far as Commodore goes, isn't that exactly what we need?

You act as if Holland threw huge money at either of these guys and has left himself no other options.

Modano as supposed to be that goal scorer last year and we all saw how that worked out. He got injuried and we had very little money to make moves with when the trade dead line came.

You act as if the season is over before it's even begun, and I'm sure your GM skills would be just stellar.

Edited by e_prime

White played for, and contributed to the Sharks team last year who, lest you forget, beat us in the playoffs.

As far as Commodore goes, isn't that exactly what we need?

You act as if Holland threw huge money at either of these guys and has left himself no other options.

Modano as supposed to be that goal scorer last year and we all saw how that worked out. He got injuried and we had very little money to make moves with when the trade dead line came.

You act as if the season is over before it's even begun, and I'm sure your GM skills would be just stellar.

It's the fact Holland always sits and sits and sits .... then once the trade deadline passes, he says, yet again, "I like our team and there wasn't anybody out there we liked." With Holland it's the same company line every damn time he is asked about improving the club. Last year he said the same nonsense in the summer. He said we need a Top 6 scorer. And then the trade deadline came and went. Again.

This is Niks last season, and i'd like to see us back in the Finals and winning another Cup. Who can honestly say he is going to shock the NHL and make big swaps to get us back to where we belong. The man is complacent, whether he's waiting for our young guys to get here, or he is simply gun-shy.

Ian White and Commodore? Yeh I bet he beat out 6 or 7 other GM's lining up to sign those two, huh? They are DEPTH guys. Nothing more. Yet some already got White pencilled in as a Top 4 guy. :yowza:

Still waiting ...

It's the fact Holland always sits and sits and sits .... then once the trade deadline passes, he says, yet again, "I like our team and there wasn't anybody out there we liked." With Holland it's the same company line every damn time he is asked about improving the club. Last year he said the same nonsense in the summer. He said we need a Top 6 scorer. And then the trade deadline came and went. Again.

This is Niks last season, and i'd like to see us back in the Finals and winning another Cup. Who can honestly say he is going to shock the NHL and make big swaps to get us back to where we belong. The man is complacent, whether he's waiting for our young guys to get here, or he is simply gun-shy.

Ian White and Commodore? Yeh I bet he beat out 6 or 7 other GM's lining up to sign those two, huh? They are DEPTH guys. Nothing more. Yet some already got White pencilled in as a Top 4 guy. :yowza:

Still waiting ...

The Wings seem to be in denial that they've lost two years in a row in the 2nd round, and to the same team.

Holland seems to think that we have a good team, and he's right. He's not right, however, in not trying to take this team to the next level.

We're not a Cup contender right now. There's no reason to think we're a better team than last year. We are a little deeper on defense, but our forwards are one year older and are too frequently injured. We need some new blood desperately at forward, before the injuries start kicking in again. The secondary scoring wasn't consistently there in the playoffs. Neither was our forechecking from the 3rd and 4th lines.

I'm starting to think that Holland is content with 2nd round playoff losses.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Honestly, I can't be too upset about this off-season. The team didn't get better on paper, but the defense is better defensively than it was, I think, plus with a new defensive coach I think that problem is fixed. On the flip side, I think offense will be hurt, but probably not too bad. With the cap space, if the Wings have trouble scoring that's a problem that could be rectified later. And in goal, a tandem of Conklin-Howard is better than Howard-MacDonald-McCollum-Pearce that existed last year.

So no...not really better (on paper) but not all that worse, and if the team stayed healthy last season could have been a Cup winning year. So by tightening up the defense but keeping the same guys (mostly) I think the Wings are positioned well. A disappointing off-season, but not a failure by any means.

Guest echos myron

Honestly, I can't be too upset about this off-season. The team didn't get better on paper, but the defense is better defensively than it was, I think, plus with a new defensive coach I think that problem is fixed. On the flip side, I think offense will be hurt, but probably not too bad. With the cap space, if the Wings have trouble scoring that's a problem that could be rectified later. And in goal, a tandem of Conklin-Howard is better than Howard-MacDonald-McCollum-Pearce that existed last year.

So no...not really better (on paper) but not all that worse, and if the team stayed healthy last season could have been a Cup winning year. So by tightening up the defense but keeping the same guys (mostly) I think the Wings are positioned well. A disappointing off-season, but not a failure by any means.

MacDonald was great last year.

Guest Crymson

MacDonald was great last year.

MacDonald had two good games last year, and was mediocre in the rest. He's a career third-stringer.

Edited by Crymson

How about Steve Bernier for a "Project player"? Once thought of as a promising winger, he has bounced around and looking for a spot somewhere.

Wouldnt mind him at all but I dont think theres room. A 26 year old, 6'2 player who was a first round pick. Hes put up around 30 points or so a year which wouldnt be bad even if he never turned into a scorer

Guest Crymson

Wouldnt mind him at all but I dont think theres room. A 26 year old, 6'2 player who was a first round pick. Hes put up around 30 points or so a year which wouldnt be bad even if he never turned into a scorer

We don't have the space for bottom-six players right now.

LOL I keep jumping on here day after day in hopes of seeing a BIG announcement on a trade nuttin yet tho :(

Once Yandle was signed I pretty much gave up hope for that.

Either way, I'm not terribly worried about the state of the lineup right now.

Guest echos myron

MacDonald had two good games last year, and was mediocre in the rest. He's a career third-stringer.

There were at least 3 or 4 games where Howard was pulled and MacDonald completely bailed the team out and still got a loss. He was serviceable and was only mediocre in a few games, which I would expect from a backup. You think a guy like Conklin is going to do any better than 2.58 / .917? Those stats are probably skewed by the one blowout too.

I don't know if anyone else saw the video THe Red Wings posted on Facebook but Kenny goes, "We are happy to resign Ericsson to a three year deal. We believe at 27 he is really coming into his prime."

*facepalm*

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski.

Marian Hossa?

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer. And so far, Ian White and Mike Commodore are laughable additions. White couldn't find a spot on the 3rd or 4th worse team in the NHL. And aside from hitting, what else is Commodore going to bring? <_< Forgive the arrogance here, but we are the Detroit Red Wings, not the Maple Leafs or the Bluejackets.

As many have started asking the past few weeks, what the hell is Lidstrom thinking right now, as Holland hasn't done anything at all to improve our club. Not good enough, Mr. Holland. Not good enough at all.

White is a good offensive defenseman, he's physical, he's responsible defensively, and he's a good shot-blocker.

MacDonald played well most of his time. He was unspectacular, but he was solid for the most part. Joey stopped the pucks he "should" be stopping, and even some that "should" have been goals. Conks isn't going to be any better than Joey was, because he's not much better, if at all.

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski. He'd be exactly what we need to compliment Franzen, a guy who can stick up for him and drives the net hard. Phoenix's ownership problems along with the constant team moving rumors has got to be getting to Shane, the guy has been the Coyotes best player by far against us in the past 2 playoffs, and while you hate him when he's beating up on your team, he'd be my favorite player if we were to acquire him. For a chance to win the Cup, I think he'd waive his NMC too, I know he's said he wants to stay with the Coyotes for life.. but there's just nothing there anymore. They lose Bryz, Jovo, amongst others. They are barely better then Edmonton now, and we're a Shane Doan type away from winning the Cup. Seems like a perfect match.

I like Doan on the Wings, but I look at that list and see three names Sharp, Suter and Penner... If we could land ONE of these guys it would be awesome... I am sure a lot of those guys on that list will sign extensions before they become UFA's and I am sure there are a lot of good-great players available (a ton more than this year) but if the Wings could land Suter on D and Penner up front? Yikes!

I try to block that out of my mind :yowza:

I still wish they had kept Hossa...too bad we didn't have this much Cap-space that year...oh well...