• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

Andrej Sekera is in the same boat as Gragnani at Buffalo.

Indeed. And since Sekera has more NHL experience and will come cheaper, I suspect the Sabres may have a tough time picking which of the two they keep (if they have to choose one).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#42 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

So we're gonna sign a backup Goalie and have a ton of money to play with at the deadline? I'm cool with that! I really want Kenny to pickup a top six forward this season. If we don't get one until the deadline that's fine. How about this for a faptastic sports wetdream. Phoenix is completely out of the playoff race by the deadline, which is very possible. Kenny pulls the trigger and adds Shane Doan for a rental. I can't think of a better player available at the deadline to add to this team than Shane Doan. He's big, he can score goals and he likes to smash everything in sight. Not to mention his hunger factor. A deadline deal this season would be his best shot at winning a cup. Obviously a lot of factors have to take place in order for something like this to happen. Phoenix needs to suck (by the looks of their team, they will). Hopefully Doan and Phoenix don't get a contract extension worked out before the deadline. And lastly Doan would have to waive his NMC. If the above things happen, and a team like the Wings comes calling, I think he will.

Edited by Johnny Diamonds, 05 July 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#43 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

It sounds as if Kenny is done after he signs a back-up goalie. I don't like 6 mil in Cap space left either but who is Kenny supposed to get? I don't like the fact that Hudler is still on the team but who are we going to replace him with? There is nothing left as far as UFAs go. Who can we trade for? Kenny says he's getting some trade calls from other teams but he must not like what they are offering or else a deal would have been made by now. There are still 3 more months until the season starts so something may end up happening. kenny will likely keep the team the way it is and look to upgrade at the trade deadline. The problem with that is so will everyone else so the prices will be high. Just because you have Cap space doesn't mean a team will give you what you want. I don't blame Kenny for not overpaying like most teams did in the weak UFA class. I believe we are a scoring winger away from being a true contender. If Kenny can get a guy like Semin (just an example) then I would like our chances in the playoffs. I don't mind our team the way it is right now. I just can't see us winning a Cup with it.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#44 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

So we're gonna sign a backup Goalie and have a ton of money to play with at the deadline? I'm cool with that! I really want Kenny to pickup a top six forward this season. If we don't get one until the deadline that's fine. How about this for a faptastic sports wetdream. Phoenix is completely out of the playoff race by the deadline, which is very possible. Kenny pulls the trigger and adds Shane Doan for a rental. I can't think of a better player available at the deadline to add to this team than Shane Doan. He's big, he can score goals and he likes to smash everything in sight. Not to mention his hunger factor. A deadline deal this season would be his best shot at winning a cup. Obviously a lot of factors have to take place in order for something like this to happen. Phoenix needs to suck (by the looks of their team, they will). Hopefully Doan and Phoenix don't get a contract extension worked out before the deadline. And lastly Doan would have to waive his NMC. If the above things happen, and a team like the Wings comes calling, I think he will.

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski. He'd be exactly what we need to compliment Franzen, a guy who can stick up for him and drives the net hard. Phoenix's ownership problems along with the constant team moving rumors has got to be getting to Shane, the guy has been the Coyotes best player by far against us in the past 2 playoffs, and while you hate him when he's beating up on your team, he'd be my favorite player if we were to acquire him. For a chance to win the Cup, I think he'd waive his NMC too, I know he's said he wants to stay with the Coyotes for life.. but there's just nothing there anymore. They lose Bryz, Jovo, amongst others. They are barely better then Edmonton now, and we're a Shane Doan type away from winning the Cup. Seems like a perfect match.

#NOMOREKINDL

#45 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

I hope we ink Conks back again for a coulpe. As far as any other additions I'm going to sit tight and see how the Hudler situation goes. Our D core really impress me as a group and I think they'll be great imo, so I think we are pretty D heavy when you look at GR as well. I'll look for a Huds/GRDman and a 3rd combo before to long.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#46 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Kenny is never done....

#47 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot.. but seriously, the guy would be the biggest pick-up since Shanny/Hasek/Rafalski. He'd be exactly what we need to compliment Franzen, a guy who can stick up for him and drives the net hard. Phoenix's ownership problems along with the constant team moving rumors has got to be getting to Shane, the guy has been the Coyotes best player by far against us in the past 2 playoffs, and while you hate him when he's beating up on your team, he'd be my favorite player if we were to acquire him. For a chance to win the Cup, I think he'd waive his NMC too, I know he's said he wants to stay with the Coyotes for life.. but there's just nothing there anymore. They lose Bryz, Jovo, amongst others. They are barely better then Edmonton now, and we're a Shane Doan type away from winning the Cup. Seems like a perfect match.

We won't need a compliment for Franzen cuz we're gonna trade him to Phoenix for Yandle. :lol:

Edited by nuts2u, 05 July 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#48 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Yes, I was looking at the free agent list for next summer and Doan jumped off the page and gave me a blindside headshot...

Yeah you did.

Posted Image

#49 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

We won't need a compliment for Franzen cuz we're gonna trade him to Phoenix for Yandle. :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Before LGW has another "Kenny suckz!" uproar please read the quote below. In fact, the OP might want to edit and add this into the OP.

“We like our team, but we’re ready to make another move or two—whether it’s a signing or a trade—to make our team better this summer,” Holland said.

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer. And so far, Ian White and Mike Commodore are laughable additions. White couldn't find a spot on the 3rd or 4th worse team in the NHL. And aside from hitting, what else is Commodore going to bring? <_< Forgive the arrogance here, but we are the Detroit Red Wings, not the Maple Leafs or the Bluejackets.

Geez, last year we needed to add at least one more top 6 or 9 goal scorer to our forwards. This year the team is definitely weaker, and all we have is the same-old-same-old from Holland. The famous, "wait and see, I won't overpay, I won't rush even if it means waiting until the trade deadline. I have a plan ..." nonsense.

As many have started asking the past few weeks, what the hell is Lidstrom thinking right now, as Holland hasn't done anything at all to improve our club. Not good enough, Mr. Holland. Not good enough at all.

Edited by motorcitykid, 05 July 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#51 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer.

The "We like our team" or "We like our depth" part I recall him saying every summer but not the "We're ready to make another move or two" part. More power to you if you can find articles that say otherwise but my guess is he only says the latter when he has more of a willingness to make a move.

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Geez, last year we needed to add at least one more top 6 or 9 goal scorer to our forwards. This year the team is definitely weaker, and all we have is the same-old-same-old from Holland. The famous, "wait and see, I won't overpay, I won't rush even if it means waiting until the trade deadline. I have a plan ..." nonsense.

Yeah, it was the same thing that he said in 2007, when we lost Lang and Calder and only added Drake. And then he didn't use most of the space he had at the deadline, either.

#53 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Damn!

Just got back from a vacation in San Francisco, and was hoping to read that Holland actually made a good move.

That's what I get for hoping. <_<

And no, I've never been the biggest fan of Ian White. Hope he proves me wrong and becomes a good player here.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 July 2011 - 06:51 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#54 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

You do realize this is what Holland says EVERY summer. And so far, Ian White and Mike Commodore are laughable additions. White couldn't find a spot on the 3rd or 4th worse team in the NHL. And aside from hitting, what else is Commodore going to bring? <_< Forgive the arrogance here, but we are the Detroit Red Wings, not the Maple Leafs or the Bluejackets.

As many have started asking the past few weeks, what the hell is Lidstrom thinking right now, as Holland hasn't done anything at all to improve our club. Not good enough, Mr. Holland. Not good enough at all.

White played for, and contributed to the Sharks team last year who, lest you forget, beat us in the playoffs.

As far as Commodore goes, isn't that exactly what we need?

You act as if Holland threw huge money at either of these guys and has left himself no other options.

Modano as supposed to be that goal scorer last year and we all saw how that worked out. He got injuried and we had very little money to make moves with when the trade dead line came.

You act as if the season is over before it's even begun, and I'm sure your GM skills would be just stellar.

Edited by e_prime, 05 July 2011 - 06:58 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#55 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

White played for, and contributed to the Sharks team last year who, lest you forget, beat us in the playoffs.

As far as Commodore goes, isn't that exactly what we need?

You act as if Holland threw huge money at either of these guys and has left himself no other options.

Modano as supposed to be that goal scorer last year and we all saw how that worked out. He got injuried and we had very little money to make moves with when the trade dead line came.

You act as if the season is over before it's even begun, and I'm sure your GM skills would be just stellar.

It's the fact Holland always sits and sits and sits .... then once the trade deadline passes, he says, yet again, "I like our team and there wasn't anybody out there we liked." With Holland it's the same company line every damn time he is asked about improving the club. Last year he said the same nonsense in the summer. He said we need a Top 6 scorer. And then the trade deadline came and went. Again.

This is Niks last season, and i'd like to see us back in the Finals and winning another Cup. Who can honestly say he is going to shock the NHL and make big swaps to get us back to where we belong. The man is complacent, whether he's waiting for our young guys to get here, or he is simply gun-shy.
Ian White and Commodore? Yeh I bet he beat out 6 or 7 other GM's lining up to sign those two, huh? They are DEPTH guys. Nothing more. Yet some already got White pencilled in as a Top 4 guy. :yowza:

Still waiting ...

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

It's the fact Holland always sits and sits and sits .... then once the trade deadline passes, he says, yet again, "I like our team and there wasn't anybody out there we liked." With Holland it's the same company line every damn time he is asked about improving the club. Last year he said the same nonsense in the summer. He said we need a Top 6 scorer. And then the trade deadline came and went. Again.

This is Niks last season, and i'd like to see us back in the Finals and winning another Cup. Who can honestly say he is going to shock the NHL and make big swaps to get us back to where we belong. The man is complacent, whether he's waiting for our young guys to get here, or he is simply gun-shy.
Ian White and Commodore? Yeh I bet he beat out 6 or 7 other GM's lining up to sign those two, huh? They are DEPTH guys. Nothing more. Yet some already got White pencilled in as a Top 4 guy. :yowza:

Still waiting ...

The Wings seem to be in denial that they've lost two years in a row in the 2nd round, and to the same team.

Holland seems to think that we have a good team, and he's right. He's not right, however, in not trying to take this team to the next level.

We're not a Cup contender right now. There's no reason to think we're a better team than last year. We are a little deeper on defense, but our forwards are one year older and are too frequently injured. We need some new blood desperately at forward, before the injuries start kicking in again. The secondary scoring wasn't consistently there in the playoffs. Neither was our forechecking from the 3rd and 4th lines.

I'm starting to think that Holland is content with 2nd round playoff losses.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 July 2011 - 07:33 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

I guess I'm just a little more patient.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#58 FLWINGSFAN4013

FLWINGSFAN4013

Al the Octopus

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

What about coach (Y) and (Z). How come no one is talking about the two coaching vacancies?

#59 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Honestly, I can't be too upset about this off-season. The team didn't get better on paper, but the defense is better defensively than it was, I think, plus with a new defensive coach I think that problem is fixed. On the flip side, I think offense will be hurt, but probably not too bad. With the cap space, if the Wings have trouble scoring that's a problem that could be rectified later. And in goal, a tandem of Conklin-Howard is better than Howard-MacDonald-McCollum-Pearce that existed last year.

So no...not really better (on paper) but not all that worse, and if the team stayed healthy last season could have been a Cup winning year. So by tightening up the defense but keeping the same guys (mostly) I think the Wings are positioned well. A disappointing off-season, but not a failure by any means.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#60 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Honestly, I can't be too upset about this off-season. The team didn't get better on paper, but the defense is better defensively than it was, I think, plus with a new defensive coach I think that problem is fixed. On the flip side, I think offense will be hurt, but probably not too bad. With the cap space, if the Wings have trouble scoring that's a problem that could be rectified later. And in goal, a tandem of Conklin-Howard is better than Howard-MacDonald-McCollum-Pearce that existed last year.

So no...not really better (on paper) but not all that worse, and if the team stayed healthy last season could have been a Cup winning year. So by tightening up the defense but keeping the same guys (mostly) I think the Wings are positioned well. A disappointing off-season, but not a failure by any means.

MacDonald was great last year.