• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazy13

RUMOR: Garnet Exelby Signs 2-Way with Wings

Rate this topic

He's a solid, gritty defenseman. Good in the defensive zone and can handle the puck. Maybe this move is being made because another defenseman or two (One of more of Kindl/Ericsson/Stuart?) are being traded? A package for Yandle, perhaps? Or maybe it's just a signing to replace Derek Meech.

He's a solid, gritty defenseman. Good in the defensive zone and can handle the puck. Maybe this move is being made because another defenseman or two (One of more of Kindl/Ericsson/Stuart?) are being traded? A package for Yandle, perhaps? Or maybe it's just a signing to replace Derek Meech.

I can name 4 defenseman that would be above him on the depth charts just off the top of my head:

Kindl

Commodore

Smith

Janik

The Griffins didn't tender offers to a dozen players after this season, and are looking for players to fill out their roster. This guy seems like a good fit for the team.

Guest Crymson

If this is true, this will really help the next time Sundin decides to push the Griffins around.

Indeed. Exelby will probably be the #8 if he's actually signed.

Indeed. Exelby will probably be the #8 if he's actually signed.

holy eff crymson, my friend sent me the danish language video yesterday and i could not for the life of me remember where i saw that guy before.

haha.

This absolutely, without a doubt is a GR move. He may be gritty but he in no way is a capable NHL defenseman. He is slow, turns the puck over constantly and can't anticipate what's going on around him. No way does he see time with the Wings.

I can name 4 defenseman that would be above him on the depth charts just off the top of my head:

Kindl

Commodore

Smith

Janik

The Griffins didn't tender offers to a dozen players after this season, and are looking for players to fill out their roster. This guy seems like a good fit for the team.

Janik is a career minor leaguer who has had a couple of opportunities on bad teams. Exelby has spent almost his entire career in the NHL, and much of that time spent as a top-four defenseman. Janik has never risen above the #7 role, and has only played as many games in the NHL as he has due to injuries to Luke Richardson (2006-07) and Dan Boyle (2007-08). While I did not see Exelby play last season, I would venture to say that his play level hasn't changed significantly. That alone places him well above Janik. While Janik is serviceable, a 2007-2010 Exelby is very solid. So if he's in that form, or better, there's no question as to who the better player is. Exelby at that level is better than Ericsson or Commodore; so we can hope he's at that level and was signed, and it means Ericsson was traded for Yandle or another improvement on D. Hell, maybe the Jets would take Ericsson and a pick for Bogo if he won't sign there. Ericsson fits their mold of "converted forward" so all they need is an Enstrom-style to play with him, and Ericsson can be the second-pair's Byfuglien.

Janik is a career minor leaguer who has had a couple of opportunities on bad teams. Exelby has spent almost his entire career in the NHL, and much of that time spent as a top-four defenseman. Janik has never risen above the #7 role, and has only played as many games in the NHL as he has due to injuries to Luke Richardson (2006-07) and Dan Boyle (2007-08). While I did not see Exelby play last season, I would venture to say that his play level hasn't changed significantly. That alone places him well above Janik. While Janik is serviceable, a 2007-2010 Exelby is very solid. So if he's in that form, or better, there's no question as to who the better player is. Exelby at that level is better than Ericsson or Commodore; so we can hope he's at that level and was signed, and it means Ericsson was traded for Yandle or another improvement on D. Hell, maybe the Jets would take Ericsson and a pick for Bogo if he won't sign there. Ericsson fits their mold of "converted forward" so all they need is an Enstrom-style to play with him, and Ericsson can be the second-pair's Byfuglien.

You didn't see him play last year because he signed for a Chicago team last year that despite its amazingly poor bottom 3 D men still assigned him to the AHL where no one picked him up on waivers.