Is there a problem with Babs?

Rate this topic

Dan Cleary

Dallas Drake

Patrick Eaves

Todd Bertuzzi

Drew Miller

Ruslan Salei

If it wasn't for Babs, these guys would not contribute NEARLY as much as they have recently

Babs seems real uptight and tbh I think that's what coaches need to be at especially at the NHL level. Some medium between being an ass and being to easy going. I think Babs is a solid coach and I think it's a plus that some players don't/or didn't like playing for him. Coaches need to be somewhat strict to keep players in line. I think Babs does a solid job at this.

On another note this should be moved to the rumor mill section. :P

Last year when that survey from the hockey news, CBC, or SI came out, wasn't Babs rated as the coach most players would like to play for? Torts was the most demanding, Babs was second. It is a double edged sword. Not all humans like being told what they do wrong, and then many times blame their boss for their ineptitude.

Good god. Was Scotty smoking crack back in the day or what? Thank goodness that trade was nixed.

Don't get me wrong, that trade sounds terrible today. Even at the time, I was 13, I probably would have freaked out if it happened. But in '96 Yashin was 23 and putting up nearly a point per game. Plus, at the time the Wings had a hard on for Russians (today it's obviously Swedes).

I once had to take a class in organizational behavior, in this class I was taught a simple rule:

10% of people will automatically like you

10% of people will automatically hate you

its the other 80% you have to worry about.

I have found this rule to be pretty much true, no matter what you do there will be people who just don't like you, and usually those people are the ones who talk the loudest. From what I have heard from what I have read most players love Babcock because hes a good coach, if a few players don't like his style they can go to another team.

I think these CBC player polls tell you all you need to know about Babcock:

Which coach would you most like to play for?

Which coach is the most demanding?

18% said they'd most like to play for Babcock. That was second to only Bylsma who had 21% of the votes.

In the next poll, 24% said Babcock demands the most from his players, second to Tortorella, who had 28% of the votes.

I think these CBC player polls tell you all you need to know about Babcock:

Which coach would you most like to play for?

Which coach is the most demanding?

18% said they'd most like to play for Babcock. That was second to only Bylsma who had 21% of the votes.

In the next poll, 24% said Babcock demands the most from his players, second to Tortorella, who had 28% of the votes.

Yes, I would trust this much more than someone saying "a buddy of mine said" without having specifics on where it's coming from. Without sighting sources, that's as good as me saying that a buddy of mine told me that ex-players are bad mouthing Babs for his penchant for wearing a pink tutu & tiara in the locker room before games.

Yes, I would trust this much more than someone saying "a buddy of mine said" without having specifics on where it's coming from. Without sighting sources, that's as good as me saying that a buddy of mine told me that ex-players are bad mouthing Babs for his penchant for wearing a pink tutu & tiara in the locker room before games.

Anything to get the team fired up. That's the sign of a good coach.

Schneider

Lang

Williams

Leino

Hudler

I think these are the types of players who would complain. They wouldn't play like Babcock wanted (i.e., feet moving, responsible defensively and 100% effort). And because of that, Babcock was colder to them. So, of course they're going to complain. Funny thing is, the type of player who would complains is exactly the type of player Babcock doesn't like.

I'm sure Datsyuk and Zetterberg think Babcock is pretty harsh sometimes. But, they understand that what he's trying to do is helping them and the team, so they just listen and never complain. As a result, Babcock has utmost trust and respect for them in return.

I have no doubt that there are ex-wings and ex-ducks around the NHL who hate Babcock for precisely the reasons already stated. And I have no doubt that UFAs who are looking for an easy paycheck for no effort would want to avoid Babs and the Wings.

What is interesting is guys like Hudler. Remember when he used to be a 4th liner and was putting up points every night, Babcock's response was to bust his ass every night to the media and continue to limit his minutes. Why? To push him to be better. Conversely, when Hudler got back from a year of snorting coke off of eastern european hookers and had a confidence level lower than a snakes belly what does Babcock do? Whilst LGW was going nuts calling for Hudler to be flogged till his play improved, Babcock continued to play him, even putting him on the first line, until Hudlers confidence and numbers returned.

I reckon he learned something when he was doing that Sports Physchology degree ;)

Thats great that you trust that more, I would too if I was in your shoes. But again, I did not post this to make anyone believe anything, I did not mention any player names. I simply asked a question wanting to know if anyone else has ever heard of anything like what I had just learned, which I have said several times in this thread already.

If I was making this post to make Babs sound like a bad coach or whatever it is that a few of you keep thinking by asking for a source, then I would have mentioned the players but I did not because that's not what I was doing and the player's names do not matter, so my source does not matter.

I never start threads on this forum because of this reason here, there is always people that have a complaint even though my post was just a question I had our of curiosity. After getting a bunch of minuses, having at least three people in the thread complain about what I say and on top of that have a few people send me private messages arguing with me about me HAVING to tell them my source, I regret ever asking this question and if I knew a way to get my thread deleted completely to avoid all this, I would.

Babs must be a type of coach you hate when you're a young player,but later as a veteran suddenly start to admire and be thankful for every minute under his lead.

Edited by pucktividi

Just saw this on mlive

Assistant coaching search

The Red Wings hope to fill their two assistant coaching vacancies by the end of the week.

Coach Mike Babcock has been speaking mostly to younger candidates who have coached in the AHL, college or the major junior ranks.

There is a chance their new assistant coaches will not have coached or played in the NHL.

"Think young, hungry guys, aggressive guys that want to be (like) Mike Babcock four years from now," said one person familiar with the search.

I'm not sure what to think about this, interesting for sure.

Even more news: http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2011/07/wmus_jeff_blashill_a_finalist.html

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Wasn't the Primeau/Coffey trade what got us Brendan Shanahan? Also Thank God for Mrs. I killing it.

fact is Yzerman did not buy into Scotty's system early on, so much that Scotty had him traded to the Senators for Alexi Yashin after the 1994 San Jose Sharks debacle after they were swept in 1995. Mrs I stepped in and nixed the trade...Then Yzerman started buying into the system and the rest is history. NO, I do not have any links to when and at what moment Yzerman bought in to his system, or if he and Scotty hated each other, but the trade was a fact, Steve Yzerman for Alexi Yashin (those were the main guys) and it's not like Scotty hasn't had a history of dealing away STAR players when he thought that they weren't right for "HIS" team. Dino Ciccarelli, Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey (on more than one occasion.)

As a matter of fact I found this little bit of info...

On February 26, 1996 the following trade was sent to the league offices (and to all teams)

Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to Ottawa

Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

edit: I correct my error on when he was "traded." I also read that prior to Yzerman "changing" his game, Scotty used to call him a GD Prima donna...