• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

Is there a problem with Babs?

Rate this topic

So I was talking with a buddy of mine today and he was telling me how the Wings contacted a few players and they refused to talk about coming to the Wings because of Babcock. Apparently, some ex-players of Babcock (including ex-Wings, not just his previous teams) have been bad mouthing him.

I've always liked Babs as a coach and have considered him one of the best. But now after hearing this, it makes me wonder if there is problems with Babs and players? We know that he and Commie don't get along, but now that I hear some other players refused to sign here because of him really makes me wonder.

Has anyone else heard anything about players not liking Babs?

I have heard he expects a lot out of his players, but this is the NHL, not Peewee hockey on Saturday mornings. I have not heard that a lot of players badmouth him and refuse to play under him.

In any event I think the point is moot. You know who else was described like that? Scotty Bowman.

I have heard he expects a lot out of his players, but this is the NHL, not Peewee hockey on Saturday mornings. I have not heard that a lot of players badmouth him and refuse to play under him.

In any event I think the point is moot. You know who else was described like that? Scotty Bowman.

Oh okay. I know about his expectations and it's a plus in my book. I was just wondering if there was more to it than just that, that I've never heard about.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Babs is a simple coach. Do what is asked of you and do it well and there will be no problem. Too many coaches are afraid of hurting a player's feelings so the problems never get corrected. Babs knows his formula works because he has the results to prove it (3 Cup Finals appearances and 1 Cup win). If you don't like Babs then you don't have to play here. He is not going anywhere. Any player who does not want to play for the Wings is likely not worth having anyway (Wisniewski). The players on Team Canada didn't seem minding having Babs as their coach when they won Gold in the 2010 Olympics. Babs is a winner. If those players are going to badmouth him then they should at least have the guts to identify themselves.

Much of the time the relationship between a coach and a player seems to be better if the player doesn't like the coach. It's the coach's job to push their players and squeeze every little bit of effectiveness that they can. A lot of times feelings get hurt but those who have some mental toughness use that as motivation to be better.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Much of the time the relationship between a coach and a player seems to be better if the player doesn't like the coach. It's the coach's job to push their players and squeeze every little bit of effectiveness that they can. A lot of times feelings get hurt but those who have some mental toughness use that as motivation to be better.

That is what was so great about Bowman. He realized that some guys needed to be pushed hard (Shanahan) while others didn't (Yzerman). He knew if players were pissed off to prove to him that they could do what he wanted then that was better than being pissed off just for the sake of being pissed off. Fedorov wanted more playing time so Scotty made him play defense. I still laugh at that. But he was a decent dman! :lol: That's how skilled Fedorov was. Anyway I think Babs is a fair coach. I never hear Hank or Dats say anything bad about him. Or Nick for that matter. I'll take that as enough proof for me. :thumbup:

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Guest Crymson

It seems as though there are a handful of coaches scattered throughout the league (current, and former coaches) that may not have had a great repore with any number of players (again current, and former).

Scotty Bowman, and Mike Keenan are 2 that come to mind.

Babs may have ruffled a few feathers over the years, but sometimes ya gotta do so to get results.

Alternatively, you can be like Dave Lewis: run your team like a country club and never challenge the players. And then have no success.

Not to be rude, but would giving you my friend's source really matter in this topic, when I am just asking a simple question out of curiosity?

I think that it's reasonable for me to ask. I understand that you're asking others' opinions, but if you start out by asserting that this is a perception of Babcock by some, obviously people are going to ask questions.

In answer to your question, yes, I have heard that Babcock is disliked. My sources are entirely hearsay / online posts similar to yours though. Thus my personal curiosity.

If someone doesn't give further elaboration, I just assume that he's disliked by his players like many other coaches in the league and leave it at that.

Edited by Zetts

This thread should be moved to rumor mill. There is no credibility here what-so-ever....

Move it wherever you'd like. Delete it completely if it's such a big deal. I didn't mention any player's names nor did I try to force anyone to believe anything. I asked a simple question based on what I learned today. I don't see how a question would be considered a rumor.

That is what was so great about Bowman. He realized that some guys needed to be pushed hard (Shanahan) while others didn't (Yzerman). He knew if players were pissed off to prove to him that they could do what he wanted then that was better than being pissed off just for the sake of being pissed off. Fedorov wanted more playing time so Scotty made him play defense. I still laugh at that. But he was a decent dman! :lol: That's how skilled Fedorov was. Anyway I think Babs is a fair coach. I never hear Hank or Dats say anything bad about him. Or Nick for that matter. I'll take that as enough proof for me. :thumbup:

:huh:

I can't recall any details but I remember hearing stories about Scotty notoriously and constantly on Stevie's case, especially in the early years of their working relationship together. If there ever was a period in which Scotty didn't go after Stevie then it was probably in the waning years of his career.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I can't recall any details but I remember hearing stories about Scotty notoriously and constantly on Stevie's case, especially in the early years of their working relationship together. If there ever was a period in which Scotty didn't go after Stevie then it was probably in the waning years of his career.

Well maybe he did. I don't recall that he did but that doesn't mean he didn't. I think Stevie would be the first person to say that Bowman made him a better player.

We can't forget how Scotty treated Aaron Ward (like s***), and he turned out to be a pretty good defenceman. I remember it was brought up on the TSN panel a few years ago, but Wardo said that he believed Scotty was harder on him then any other guy on the team, but he wouldn't have changed a minute of it. Winning fixes everything, so any guys that don't like Babs and don't wanna play for him, f*** them.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

There wasn't a problem with Dave Lewis...

Alternatively, you can be like Dave Lewis: run your team like a country club and never challenge the players. And then have no success.

Thief! :P

Move it wherever you'd like. Delete it completely if it's such a big deal. I didn't mention any player's names nor did I try to force anyone to believe anything. I asked a simple question based on what I learned today. I don't see how a question would be considered a rumor.

Don't worry, it was a good post.

Schneider

Lang

Williams

Leino

Hudler

I think these are the types of players who would complain. They wouldn't play like Babcock wanted (i.e., feet moving, responsible defensively and 100% effort). And because of that, Babcock was colder to them. So, of course they're going to complain. Funny thing is, the type of player who would complains is exactly the type of player Babcock doesn't like.

I'm sure Datsyuk and Zetterberg think Babcock is pretty harsh sometimes. But, they understand that what he's trying to do is helping them and the team, so they just listen and never complain. As a result, Babcock has utmost trust and respect for them in return.

In that way, I think Babcock's as good a coach there is in the NHLh. I mean, look at how well Bertuzzi backchecks now.

fact is Yzerman did not buy into Scotty's system early on, so much that Scotty had him traded to the Senators for Alexi Yashin after the 1994 San Jose Sharks debacle after they were swept in 1995. Mrs I stepped in and nixed the trade...Then Yzerman started buying into the system and the rest is history. NO, I do not have any links to when and at what moment Yzerman bought in to his system, or if he and Scotty hated each other, but the trade was a fact, Steve Yzerman for Alexi Yashin (those were the main guys) and it's not like Scotty hasn't had a history of dealing away STAR players when he thought that they weren't right for "HIS" team. Dino Ciccarelli, Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey (on more than one occasion.)

As a matter of fact I found this little bit of info...

On February 26, 1996 the following trade was sent to the league offices (and to all teams)

Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to Ottawa

Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

edit: I correct my error on when he was "traded." I also read that prior to Yzerman "changing" his game, Scotty used to call him a GD Prima donna...

Edited by LeftWinger

fact is Yzerman did not buy into Scotty's system early on, so much that Scotty had him traded to the Senators for Alexi Yashin after the 1994 San Jose Sharks debacle. Mrs I stepped in and nixed the trade...Then when Yzerman first started buying into the system, they made it to the Finals in the strike shortened 1995 season, then the rest is history. NO, I do not have any links to when and at what moment Yzerman bought in to his system, or if he and Scotty hated each other, but the trade was a fact, Steve Yzerman for Alexi Yashin (those were the main guys) and it's not like Scotty hasn't had a history of dealing away STAR players when he thought that they weren't right for "HIS" team. Dino Ciccarelli, Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey (on more than one occasion.)

As a matter of fact I found this little bit of info...

On February 26, 1996 the following trade was sent to the league offices (and to all teams)

Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to Ottawa

Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

Good god. Was Scotty smoking crack back in the day or what? Thank goodness that trade was nixed.