48 replies to this topic

#21 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

:huh:

I can't recall any details but I remember hearing stories about Scotty notoriously and constantly on Stevie's case, especially in the early years of their working relationship together. If there ever was a period in which Scotty didn't go after Stevie then it was probably in the waning years of his career.

Well maybe he did. I don't recall that he did but that doesn't mean he didn't. I think Stevie would be the first person to say that Bowman made him a better player.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#22 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

We can't forget how Scotty treated Aaron Ward (like s***), and he turned out to be a pretty good defenceman. I remember it was brought up on the TSN panel a few years ago, but Wardo said that he believed Scotty was harder on him then any other guy on the team, but he wouldn't have changed a minute of it. Winning fixes everything, so any guys that don't like Babs and don't wanna play for him, f*** them.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 05 July 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#23 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

There wasn't a problem with Dave Lewis...

Alternatively, you can be like Dave Lewis: run your team like a country club and never challenge the players. And then have no success.

Thief! :P

Move it wherever you'd like. Delete it completely if it's such a big deal. I didn't mention any player's names nor did I try to force anyone to believe anything. I asked a simple question based on what I learned today. I don't see how a question would be considered a rumor.

Don't worry, it was a good post.

Schneider
Lang
Williams
Leino
Hudler

I think these are the types of players who would complain. They wouldn't play like Babcock wanted (i.e., feet moving, responsible defensively and 100% effort). And because of that, Babcock was colder to them. So, of course they're going to complain. Funny thing is, the type of player who would complains is exactly the type of player Babcock doesn't like.

I'm sure Datsyuk and Zetterberg think Babcock is pretty harsh sometimes. But, they understand that what he's trying to do is helping them and the team, so they just listen and never complain. As a result, Babcock has utmost trust and respect for them in return.

In that way, I think Babcock's as good a coach there is in the NHLh. I mean, look at how well Bertuzzi backchecks now.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thief! :P

Doh.

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

:huh:

I can't recall any details but I remember hearing stories about Scotty notoriously and constantly on Stevie's case, especially in the early years of their working relationship together. If there ever was a period in which Scotty didn't go after Stevie then it was probably in the waning years of his career.

fact is Yzerman did not buy into Scotty's system early on, so much that Scotty had him traded to the Senators for Alexi Yashin after the 1994 San Jose Sharks debacle after they were swept in 1995. Mrs I stepped in and nixed the trade...Then Yzerman started buying into the system and the rest is history. NO, I do not have any links to when and at what moment Yzerman bought in to his system, or if he and Scotty hated each other, but the trade was a fact, Steve Yzerman for Alexi Yashin (those were the main guys) and it's not like Scotty hasn't had a history of dealing away STAR players when he thought that they weren't right for "HIS" team. Dino Ciccarelli, Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey (on more than one occasion.)

As a matter of fact I found this little bit of info...

On February 26, 1996 the following trade was sent to the league offices (and to all teams)

Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to Ottawa
Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

edit: I correct my error on when he was "traded." I also read that prior to Yzerman "changing" his game, Scotty used to call him a GD Prima donna...

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 July 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#26 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

fact is Yzerman did not buy into Scotty's system early on, so much that Scotty had him traded to the Senators for Alexi Yashin after the 1994 San Jose Sharks debacle. Mrs I stepped in and nixed the trade...Then when Yzerman first started buying into the system, they made it to the Finals in the strike shortened 1995 season, then the rest is history. NO, I do not have any links to when and at what moment Yzerman bought in to his system, or if he and Scotty hated each other, but the trade was a fact, Steve Yzerman for Alexi Yashin (those were the main guys) and it's not like Scotty hasn't had a history of dealing away STAR players when he thought that they weren't right for "HIS" team. Dino Ciccarelli, Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey (on more than one occasion.)

As a matter of fact I found this little bit of info...

On February 26, 1996 the following trade was sent to the league offices (and to all teams)

Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to Ottawa
Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

Good god. Was Scotty smoking crack back in the day or what? Thank goodness that trade was nixed.

#NOMOREKINDL

#27 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

Ottawa's first round pick in 1996 and 1997.

Chris Phillips
Marian Hossa

hmmm.....

(I know they wouldn't pick the same, but was just wondering)

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#28 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Dan Cleary
Dallas Drake

Patrick Eaves
Todd Bertuzzi
Drew Miller
Ruslan Salei

If it wasn't for Babs, these guys would not contribute NEARLY as much as they have recently
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#29 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Babs seems real uptight and tbh I think that's what coaches need to be at especially at the NHL level. Some medium between being an ass and being to easy going. I think Babs is a solid coach and I think it's a plus that some players don't/or didn't like playing for him. Coaches need to be somewhat strict to keep players in line. I think Babs does a solid job at this.

On another note this should be moved to the rumor mill section. :P

#30 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

I think the rumor mill section should be abolished. Half of the sub forums get no traffic whatsoever.

#31 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

Last year when that survey from the hockey news, CBC, or SI came out, wasn't Babs rated as the coach most players would like to play for? Torts was the most demanding, Babs was second. It is a double edged sword. Not all humans like being told what they do wrong, and then many times blame their boss for their ineptitude.

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

The only problem with Babs is that he doesn't wear this hat enough...

Posted Image

#33 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Good god. Was Scotty smoking crack back in the day or what? Thank goodness that trade was nixed.

Don't get me wrong, that trade sounds terrible today. Even at the time, I was 13, I probably would have freaked out if it happened. But in '96 Yashin was 23 and putting up nearly a point per game. Plus, at the time the Wings had a hard on for Russians (today it's obviously Swedes).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

If Scotty didn't like Yzerman on HIS team then I would hate to see what he thought of yashin lol

Edited by 13dangledangle, 06 July 2011 - 07:51 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

I once had to take a class in organizational behavior, in this class I was taught a simple rule:
10% of people will automatically like you
10% of people will automatically hate you
its the other 80% you have to worry about.

I have found this rule to be pretty much true, no matter what you do there will be people who just don't like you, and usually those people are the ones who talk the loudest. From what I have heard from what I have read most players love Babcock because hes a good coach, if a few players don't like his style they can go to another team.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#36 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

I think these CBC player polls tell you all you need to know about Babcock:

Which coach would you most like to play for?

Which coach is the most demanding?

18% said they'd most like to play for Babcock. That was second to only Bylsma who had 21% of the votes.

In the next poll, 24% said Babcock demands the most from his players, second to Tortorella, who had 28% of the votes.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#37 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

What's that old adage..."Be a boss, not a buddy."

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#38 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

What's that old adage..."Be a boss, not a buddy."

Which is a great way to say be a dick because that is more profitable.
  • Nev likes this
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#39 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

I think these CBC player polls tell you all you need to know about Babcock:

Which coach would you most like to play for?

Which coach is the most demanding?

18% said they'd most like to play for Babcock. That was second to only Bylsma who had 21% of the votes.

In the next poll, 24% said Babcock demands the most from his players, second to Tortorella, who had 28% of the votes.

Yes, I would trust this much more than someone saying "a buddy of mine said" without having specifics on where it's coming from. Without sighting sources, that's as good as me saying that a buddy of mine told me that ex-players are bad mouthing Babs for his penchant for wearing a pink tutu & tiara in the locker room before games.

#40 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yes, I would trust this much more than someone saying "a buddy of mine said" without having specifics on where it's coming from. Without sighting sources, that's as good as me saying that a buddy of mine told me that ex-players are bad mouthing Babs for his penchant for wearing a pink tutu & tiara in the locker room before games.

Anything to get the team fired up. That's the sign of a good coach.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |