• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Salei to Play in Russia..

Rate this topic

I wonder if his family is going along this time. I understand his wife not wanting to travel whilst pregnant this year.

Best of luck to him. He certainly seemed like a nice enough person.

Guest Crymson

10 years from now, none of us will remember that he played here.

He wasn't physical enough, and took dumb penalties game after game, just like his previous reputation suggested.

The same is true of Lilja.

I always wonder: Why does a player go to the KHL? Is it an easier paycheck than playing in the NHL, as well as a learning experience, or is it just the least painful way to flesh out your résumé, without going through the angst of waiting for a team to call your agent?

In a lot of cases, including this one, it is close to home. It's different going to another continent if you know the language and the culture. It was probably a lot harder for him to come here than it will be to go back.

If you can't get a good job where you're living, why not go home? He played in the Russian Elite League in his hometown (Minsk, Belarus) before coming to the NHL. Now that he's getting older, why not go back to a Russian league?

Sometimes things come full circle.

In a lot of cases, including this one, it is close to home. It's different going to another continent if you know the language and the culture. It was probably a lot harder for him to come here than it will be to go back.

If you can't get a good job where you're living, why not go home? He played in the Russian Elite League in his hometown (Minsk, Belarus) before coming to the NHL. Now that he's getting older, why not go back to a Russian league?

Sometimes things come full circle.

Because most of these players' kids grow up in America, meaning this country is what they're used to. School, friends, culture, TV, food, weather, etc.

A move is more of a culture shock for them than for the players who used to live in Europe, many of them being from Russia.

Hence, like the poster above, I'm also surprised so many players are willing to move to the KHL.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Because most of these players' kids grow up in America, meaning this country is what they're used to. School, friends, culture, TV, food, weather, etc.

A move is more of a culture shock for them than for the players who used to live in Europe, many of them being from Russia.

Hence, like the poster above, I'm also surprised so many players are willing to move to the KHL.

Yeah, I can see that for the kids, but lots of players go "home" during the offseason, or at least back for a visit to see the family, so it's not like the kids haven't been exposed to the language and culture.

Kids adapt much more easily than adults. Unless the kid was old enough to stay here on their own, or perhaps with relatives for a short while (like finishing high school), it wouldn't really be an issue. They're not the ones looking for work.

That's not what Sheldon Souray's face would tell you after Lilja dropped him on his candy ass.

ummm....

Like most Lilja fights, it ended when he lost his balance and fell down after taking several punches to the head.

As I've said before, much respect for him trying to learn to fight at the NHL level, but he the best he ever did in a fight was not get his ass handed to him.

ummm....

Like most Lilja fights, it ended when he lost his balance and fell down after taking several punches to the head.

As I've said before, much respect for him trying to learn to fight at the NHL level, but he the best he ever did in a fight was not get his ass handed to him.

Lilja only fell because he was tied up with Souray. Souray was the one who lost his balance after getting hit in the head.

Lilja only fell because he was tied up with Souray. Souray was the one who lost his balance after getting hit in the head.

I always assumed that GMR has his tongue firmly planted in cheek when he talks about Lilja's fighting prowess.

If you guys are seriously saying he won that fight or tuned up Souray, or that Lilja was in any way a good fighter, it just shows how long it's been since the Wings have had someone who can actually fight.

I don't know why you guys are blowing Sheldon Souray.

I doubt Angelica Bridges needs any help in that department.

Here's another one, where Lilja absolutely pummels a soft Euro to the ice.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I always wonder: Why does a player go to the KHL? Is it an easier paycheck than playing in the NHL, as well as a learning experience, or is it just the least painful way to flesh out your résumé, without going through the angst of waiting for a team to call your agent?

Given the Wing's previous experience, I just thought players jumped to the KHL for the hookers.