• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

So we haven't exactly replaced the offensive ability rafalski had, but we've certainly added some toughness to the blue line.
You can count on commodore and exelby (when hes not in GR) to land some bigggg hits and drop the gloves, and whites no push over.
Question is, will this added toughness make a difference?

will the rest of the team play better? will other teams fear us physically? maybe teach some other players to use their size? (thinking of E lol)

#2 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Wearing a team down physically is never a bad thing as long as it doesn't take away skill

#3 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Glad to see the Wings get more physical on d. I hoped they could have a similar singing on offense, but we'll have to take what we can get.

#4 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

It's definitely hard to achieve the perfect balance of skill and toughness, but I do think this team is getting fairly close to getting there. I think adding another top 6 forward and possibly replacing someone in the bottom six with someone who has some size and isnt afraid to use it while not being a total liability would pretty much complete the balance.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#5 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

you misspelled 'getting'...

...seriously though, the wings have a good mix of talent and grit on the bottom 2 d men and bottom
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#6 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

I'd like to see more speed on the back end more than anything

#7 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

you misspelled 'getting'...

...seriously though, the wings have a good mix of talent and grit on the bottom 2 d men and bottom

misspelled purposely

I'd like to see more speed on the back end more than anything

agreed. speed on the back end matters these days though i think the level of grit will make up for it...hopefully

#8 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

misspelled purposely

agreed. speed on the back end matters these days though i think the level of grit will make up for it...hopefully

It doesn't matter how tough you are if you can't catch the guy

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

We are a little tougher on defense, but barring injuries, I don't see Commodore and White playing in the same game regularly, let alone Exelby.

I do wish we'd sign a guy like Winchester to get bigger at forward, making it easier to wear other teams down. Guys like Eaves and Miller play hard, but they're not punishing forecheckers and can't wear defenses down very well over the course of a playoff series.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

We are a little tougher on defense, but barring injuries, I don't see Commodore and White playing in the same game regularly, let alone Exelby.

I do wish we'd sign a guy like Winchester to get bigger at forward, making it easier to wear other teams down. Guys like Eaves and Miller play hard, but they're not punishing forecheckers and can't wear defenses down very well over the course of a playoff series.

AGREED. we need a punishing forward. at least one. enforcer or not.

#11 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

Exelby is probably 3rd or 4th on the call-up list.

#12 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

I think White is a better hitter than Commodore, and Commodore really doesn't fight that much. What commodore is useful for is clearing out the crease, not his physicality hitting-wise because he doesn't come close to kronwall or stuart as it is.

Edited by jollymania, 06 July 2011 - 03:29 AM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

Exelby is probably 3rd or 4th on the call-up list.

Probably so...However - if Babcock lives by his word that nobody is entitled to their job ie Ericsson - then I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Johnny boy is pushed for that last spot on D by the likes of Exelby/Commadore.

Even though he got his pay day - if I were Ericsson I'd be very worried about my ice time for the 2011/2012 season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#14 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I think White is a better hitter than Commodore, and Commodore really doesn't fight that much. What commodore is useful for is clearing out the crease, not his physicality hitting-wise because he doesn't come close to kronwall or stuart as it is.

Something this team DESPERATELY needs. I don't know how many times I've stood up screaming at the TV... "Get that guy outta there!"

Probably so...However - if Babcock lives by his word that nobody is entitled to their job ie Ericsson - then I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Johnny boy is pushed for that last spot on D by the likes of Exelby/Commadore.

Even though he got his pay day - if I were Ericsson I'd be very worried about my ice time for the 2011/2012 season.

This. I know that so many folks on this board wanted some big splash of a move for some defenseman that probably would have worked out just fine or at least on paper would seem like a more solid move... but in my estimation the level of competition that's going to arise from spots 4-7 is going to be incredible. Commodore has stated he's coming here to work. White is looking for stability. Kindl's gotta be hungry to solidify his spot. Ericsson, well, let's hope he's willing to earn that payday. Who knows? Exelby gets a sniff and he wants more... even Janik... could have a very hungry 4-7.

...and if it all doesn't work out. We still have a LOT of money to make additional moves.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#15 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'll give you 3.25 million reasons why Ericsson does not need to worry about his ice time.

He wasn't scratched last season and his salary was a lot less, plus, regardless of what most want to see, he has improved... if anyone should be unhappy with how things have shaken out, it's Kindl... he's probably going to need a change of scenery, as we certainly haven't made it appear that he's in our long term plans...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#16 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

I think we might be a bit surprised. I think, in camp, Kindl and Commodore will battle for who will be the starting 6th d-man to start the year. Commodore definitely has to prove his physially ready to take on the role and Kindl needs to show he's progressing. Plus, you know there will be an injury - most likely Kronwall. I bet we see White and Commodore in the line up at the same time more often than not.

But you're definitely right, I don't know where people are getting the idea Exelby will get time with the Wings. He's probably tenth on the depth chart (Behind Wings 7th, Smith, and Janik).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#17 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

I'll give you 3.25 million reasons why Ericsson does not need to worry about his ice time.

He wasn't scratched last season and his salary was a lot less, plus, regardless of what most want to see, he has improved... if anyone should be unhappy with how things have shaken out, it's Kindl... he's probably going to need a change of scenery, as we certainly haven't made it appear that he's in our long term plans...

Ya this is a little surprising to me as Kindl hasn't played bad either, I kind of thought he was going to be our extra guy and Big Rig was on his way out. I certainly feel better looking at our roster now then last week...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#18 RedWingsExpert1988

RedWingsExpert1988

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Replace Miller with a big and tough enforcer. Also Replace hood-ler with someone bigger and more physical but can also put up a decent amount of points. Then the team would almost be completely balanced, minus a top 4 defense men.

#19 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Replace Miller with a big and tough enforcer. Also Replace hood-ler with someone bigger and more physical but can also put up a decent amount of points. Then the team would almost be completely balanced, minus a top 4 defense men.

Yea, replace Miller, who just re-signed here, that's how GM's work in the NHL :rolleyes:

Wait, I forgot, we need an enforcer! :ph34r:

I would have loved the Wings to have added someone like Cody McCormick (who still isn't signed, last I checked) and passed on Miller, but they signed Miller and our forwards are locked barring a trade, in which case, we'd be bringing in a top 6 guy, NOT a bottom 5+1(enforcer)

queue, tired, old, enforcer debate... AGAIN... in 3...2...1...

Ya this is a little surprising to me as Kindl hasn't played bad either, I kind of thought he was going to be our extra guy and Big Rig was on his way out. I certainly feel better looking at our roster now then last week...

That's what I thought too originally, with the way things have played out, I still think he's going to be traded, probably in a package with Hudler to unload his salary...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

You think Ericsson will play even if Exelby/Commadore were to outplay him throughout the fall camp?

It would be a bitter pill to swallow for Holland, but ya gotta ice whomever is best for the job...I certainly hope Ericsson improves, and earns his contract - however I don't want him out there just because of his salary - especially if others can play his role better, and more consistent.

'Evolution' created by Offsides