• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Gittin Tougher

Rate this topic

Commodore had 2 fights in 20 games with a team he didnt even wanna be on last year, that works out to 8 over a full season, and thats on a team that already has Boll and Dorsett doing alot of that dirty work. With the wings Commie will be the go to guy when it comes to fighting and I expect he will have around 10 next year. He knows the wings want him to be mean, they said it in the interview about the signing. To hold down a spot he'll be fighting.

Knowing that a 6'5 mean Canadian has his back will probably let Abby go a little loose too and Ericcson will play with more balls knowing he isnt the only big guy on D who can scrap, trying to earn his paycheque.

I think it will be surprising what kind of effect a guy like Commie will have on some of these guys

commodore averages like 4 fights a year only, that wont come near satisfying the fight-jizz factor for most.

Commodore had 2 fights in 20 games with a team he didnt even wanna be on last year, that works out to 8 over a full season, and thats on a team that already has Boll and Dorsett doing alot of that dirty work. With the wings Commie will be the go to guy when it comes to fighting and I expect he will have around 10 next year. He knows the wings want him to be mean, they said it in the interview about the signing. To hold down a spot he'll be fighting.

Knowing that a 6'5 mean Canadian has his back will probably let Abby go a little loose too and Ericcson will play with more balls knowing he isnt the only big guy on D who can scrap, trying to earn his paycheque.

I think it will be surprising what kind of effect a guy like Commie will have on some of these guys

yeah i think it makes a load of difference knowing that you have a 6'5, 230 lb guy, whos known pretty much only for his physicality behind you to back you up when u get into trouble. hopefully the whole team will play more balls to the wall.

Who cares about how much he'll fight. I'm way more concerned in clearing the crease and using the body to disrupt plays and force players out of position. If Commodore can do that without whining too much, I'm cool with him.

commodore averages like 4 fights a year only, that wont come near satisfying the fight-jizz factor for most.

its not about the "fight-jizz factor". i like the fact that he averages 4 fights a year. if he had more it would mean hes probably an agitator. we dont need an agitator...we need a big man looming behind pavs and hank. he doesnt pick fights, but hes always there just in case you need em. makes other players feel safer. we obviously need guys who do more than 'just fight', and he fills other rolls, case and point below VVVVVV

Who cares about how much he'll fight. I'm way more concerned in clearing the crease and using the body to disrupt plays and force players out of position. If Commodore can do that without whining too much, I'm cool with him.

Meh, 4 fights a year against very good fighters is still 4 more fights than most of the guys on the team now average. Its not really the fact that he hasnt fought much, its the fact that hes willing and whenever he needs to he will.

With Columbus he didnt have to with Boll, Dorsett and Sestito to an extent always out there looking for fights. With Detroit if anyone gets cheapshotted or takes a whack at Howard, he'll be the one called on. ANd he is a borderline heavyweight that can take on most guys in the league.

So what if he wont have 30 fights a year with 75% right after a faceoff, thats not what Detroit needs. They needed a guy who was willing to step in when cheapshots happen like when Stuart almost had his head removed and everyoen stodd around watching.

I laugh at the people who think that Commodore will be the 7th defenseman and not get consistant playing time. He will be on your bottom pairing, and definitely be the one to sit the rare game when Kindl plays, but there is no way that Kindl gets the #6 spot over Commodore...you guys can put that notion to rest. Commodore would more than likely climb the ladder than to go any further down it. But I do agree Exelby will spend his entire year in GR, barring an injury riddled season like 2009-2010. You have Smith/Janik ahead of him for sure...

Fighting aside, it's the sticking up for your teammates is what I hope he does and then it rubs off on Abdelkader and Ericsson. It drove me nuts when Stuart was targeted and got his jaw busted and Ericsson and Abdelkader did nothing what-so-ever. They just stood there and looked stupid. Stuart, at the time, was Detroit's best defenseman and he was railroaded and knocked out of the season by a career minor leaguer trying to making a name for himself and nobody stood up for Stuart. Commodore will do that when necessary, and if it leads to a fight or 4 or 10, then bonus for us! But Ericsson was signed and paid accordingly, not because of his offensive abilities, but his size and strength, this is the year he needs to display that and use it to his advantage. He needs to get mean, nasty and stick up for teammates. He needs to hang out with countryman Doug Murray and learn how to throw his body around. E will never be a Lidstrom or even Kronwall in the scoring department, but he can before a fierce hitter and a physical body in front of the net, with the right influence and guidance. I believe the likes of Abby, Eaves and Miller can benefit as well, being physical, just go out there and without getting out of position, punish the other team physically! That is what made Aaron Downey so valuable to this team when he was here and especially in 07-08, he just ran everyone down and got the crowd and team into the game, it's too bad he got out of position alot though...

Fighting aside, it's the sticking up for your teammates is what I hope he does and then it rubs off on Abdelkader and Ericsson. It drove me nuts when Stuart was targeted and got his jaw busted and Ericsson and Abdelkader did nothing what-so-ever. They just stood there and looked stupid. Stuart, at the time, was Detroit's best defenseman and he was railroaded and knocked out of the season by a career minor leaguer trying to making a name for himself and nobody stood up for Stuart. Commodore will do that when necessary, and if it leads to a fight or 4 or 10, then bonus for us! But Ericsson was signed and paid accordingly, not because of his offensive abilities, but his size and strength, this is the year he needs to display that and use it to his advantage. He needs to get mean, nasty and stick up for teammates. He needs to hang out with countryman Doug Murray and learn how to throw his body around. E will never be a Lidstrom or even Kronwall in the scoring department, but he can before a fierce hitter and a physical body in front of the net, with the right influence and guidance. I believe the likes of Abby, Eaves and Miller can benefit as well, being physical, just go out there and without getting out of position, punish the other team physically! That is what made Aaron Downey so valuable to this team when he was here and especially in 07-08, he just ran everyone down and got the crowd and team into the game, it's too bad he got out of position alot though...

Spot on post :thumbup:

+1 :clap:

QFT

Stated perfectly.

:clap:

It's definitely hard to achieve the perfect balance of skill and toughness, but I do think this team is getting fairly close to getting there. I think adding another top 6 forward and possibly replacing someone in the bottom six with someone who has some size and isnt afraid to use it while not being a total liability would pretty much complete the balance.

:thumbup: