• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hi. I'm bored. Plus it's hot as hell today and my air conditioner is broken, so I've been trying my best to keep my dogs as comfortable as possible. It got me thinking though, I can't recall a dedicated "Show Off Your Dog Thread" yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I've got 2 girls, Cholula and Penny Lane. Both of them are cute as can be and have great stories that I love sharing.

Cholula (3 year old Chihuahua mix, 11 lbs.)

Attached File  40137_478050998277_675238277_6835467_2120113_n.jpg   59.34KB   1 downloadsAttached File  67752_478159368277_675238277_6836862_6132427_n.jpg   76.43KB   1 downloadsAttached File  33704_482033013277_675238277_6898586_1550226_n.jpg   49.39KB   1 downloadsAttached File  37956_482029508277_675238277_6898551_369326_n.jpg   52.83KB   1 downloadsAttached File  73980_482032103277_675238277_6898571_4525635_n.jpg   55.76KB   2 downloads

Attached File  67401_482035023277_675238277_6898609_5907051_n.jpg   59.21KB   4 downloadsAttached File  40115_482034853277_675238277_6898606_5920884_n.jpg   71.4KB   5 downloads

I found Lula 2 years ago while walking downtown. I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment on time when I noticed her. She was prancing through the crowd, following behind a business man who was talking on his cell phone. She looked like she belonged to him because she was looking up at him and had a big smile on her face. It seemed strange of course, especially since he didn't have a leash on her. I asked him if she was his dog and he gave me a weird look so I called her over and she ran right up and started licking my face! I could tell she had a great personality so I decided to blow off my appointment because I knew I couldn't just leave her on the street. I took her home and she has been a joy in our family ever since.

As you can probably tell, Lula is my little angel. Even if she weren't mine I would describe her as a remarkable dog. I, like most people, prefer large breeds, but the great thing about Lula is that she posses none of the traits that turn people off about small breeds and Chihuahuas (with the yapping and the cowering and the ankle biting, yada yada yada). She is absolutely fearless (loud noises, strangers, other dogs, crowded areas, etc.), which cracks me up because of how small she is. She is also super intelligent and naturally curious, sweet-hearted and outgoing, and as charming as any person I've ever met. Her natural response to almost any situation is to lick. Meet a stranger? Give em a kiss. Just gave her a treat? You got a lick comin'. And who couldn't love that face of hers...

Penny Lane (1 year old Pit Bull mix, 55 lbs.)

Attached File  191403_10150148719038278_675238277_8066964_1238483_o.jpg   72.93KB   4 downloads

I don't have many pictures of Penny on my computer yet, but she is a beautiful puppy. About 2 weeks before Christmas this year, Penny was hit by a car in front of my mom's house. My mom and sister heard the loud impact and rushed outside to see what had happened. Of course the ******* didn't stop, so they found her lying in the gutter alone and frightened. At first they were apprehensive about approaching a (then) 35lb pit bull that was frightened and injured, but by the time animal control arrived they were confident enough to pet and comfort her. Not once did Penny even hint at lashing out or becoming aggressive in any way. Animal control took her away that night, but my sister got their information and called them every day to make sure she was ok. A week went by and her owners never came forward, so she was scheduled to be destroyed because of her injuries (broken front leg). I interested in adopting her but I knew her vet bills would be outrageous. Fortunately my sister was able to raise a significant amount of donations to save her life and I decided to take a chance.

Penny is a great dog as well (I know they all are, but these two are really special) Im blown away at how sweet of a dog she is, especially given the (unfair) reputation Pit Bulls seem to have these days. Now that she has the cast off and is fully healed, she has a ton of energy and LOVES to run and play. I also love her huge smile, it just cracks me up how happy she looks. She's still a little fearful of loud noises and unfamiliar things (cars, bicycles, etc), but that's to be expected and she is getting better.

Overall, I lucked out big time with 2 sweet, beautiful dogs, and I love that they are able to play together and get along, and I love watching them sleep next to each other. I was never really an animal knid of guy, but these two really brightened up my life and I now have a huge appreciation for well behaved dogs. I can't wait to see and hear about your dogs, hopefully this thread sticks around for awhile. And all you cat people can go start your own thread :P

#2 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:14 AM

Ah, finally a little love for doggies!

I have two, both of them are Springer/Lab mixes. Kira is almost 15, and getting a little creaky. Arthritis is setting in, and she has a hard time getting around, but she's still kicking. Loki is my 4-year-old.

Kira came from an ad on the bulletin board at Meijer in Mt. Pleasant. She's quite the character. Loki came to us online. We had lost our beloved dog Galen, and we wanted another dog to train for seizure/panic attack alerts. So one day at a friend's house we hopped on Petfinder.com...and lo and behold, there was Loki. His name at the shelter was Winston. One look at him and we knew, he wasn't a Winston.

For anyone who has seen Red Wings TV this past season, the dog in the opening sequence with Ken Kal is my Loki. He's a regular at camp, and he's got a few of the guys who stop and visit him, including Nick, Justin Abdelkader, Jim Howard, Henrik Zetterberg (who signed his bandana), and Patrick Eaves (a dog lover too). Kira got her picture in the Detroit News a few years back, sitting in my hubby's lap in his wheelchair. She got too sensitive and jumpy with the pucks hitting the boards that she just couldn't handle it. But Dave Guralnick got her on camera. I think it's in the photo gallery from '06, but don't quote me.

We have found out over time that Springer/Lab mixes make the best alert dogs for seizures and panic attacks. They are very intuitive and they'll let you know when something is wrong. They're smart little cookies.
Posted Image

#3 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

I'm allergic to dogs.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#4 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Poor you...to never know what it's like to have unquestionable love.
Posted Image

#5 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Ah, finally a little love for doggies!

I have two, both of them are Springer/Lab mixes. Kira is almost 15, and getting a little creaky. Arthritis is setting in, and she has a hard time getting around, but she's still kicking. Loki is my 4-year-old.

Kira came from an ad on the bulletin board at Meijer in Mt. Pleasant. She's quite the character. Loki came to us online. We had lost our beloved dog Galen, and we wanted another dog to train for seizure/panic attack alerts. So one day at a friend's house we hopped on Petfinder.com...and lo and behold, there was Loki. His name at the shelter was Winston. One look at him and we knew, he wasn't a Winston.

For anyone who has seen Red Wings TV this past season, the dog in the opening sequence with Ken Kal is my Loki. He's a regular at camp, and he's got a few of the guys who stop and visit him, including Nick, Justin Abdelkader, Jim Howard, Henrik Zetterberg (who signed his bandana), and Patrick Eaves (a dog lover too). Kira got her picture in the Detroit News a few years back, sitting in my hubby's lap in his wheelchair. She got too sensitive and jumpy with the pucks hitting the boards that she just couldn't handle it. But Dave Guralnick got hSper on camera. I think it's in the photo gallery from '06, but don't quote me.

We have found out over time that Springer/Lab mixes make the best alert dogs for seizures and panic attacks. They are very intuitive and they'll let you know when something is wrong. They're smart little cookies.

I started this thread so long ago I was starting to think I was the only dog lover around these parts! It's awesome that your pups are celebrities! I'm not from the Detroit area so I've not seen them on TV, but I'd love to see some pics.

#6 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

We always had a dog while I was growing up. Their devotion and loyalty are truly unmatched. We had a little water spaniel named Daisy (we called her "booger", but I can't remember why) Though this vid is all voice-over, you can still see the intense trust in this dogs' eyed. Even when he doesn't get his bacon...

half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#7 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Molly and my daughter (a couple years ago)
Posted Image

Wrigley
Posted Image

works every time

#8 WingedHorse

WingedHorse

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

We have Ruger, a 4 year old Black Lab who loves to pheasant hunt. Ruger is a black Marley...he has destroyed 2 gutters on the house, and 3 screen doors. Ruger now lives outside in a luxury doggy condo and is very happy! LOL! When it gets too hot or too cold, he comes inside and stays in his crate so that he is comfy.

Our newest addition is "Hank" named after Henrik Zetterberg. Hank is a 16 day old yellow Lab. He is going to be both a hunting dog and an inside dog. Hubby is going to be the one to teach Hank about going outside and being an indoor dog since Hubby is the one who wanted another dog child. I am going to try and post photos...if not, would someone help me out and post a couple for me?

We also have 2 horses that I show and 3 kitties. No, we don't have human children - we would have to share our animals with them! LOL!

Attached Files

#9 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

I started this thread so long ago I was starting to think I was the only dog lover around these parts! It's awesome that your pups are celebrities! I'm not from the Detroit area so I've not seen them on TV, but I'd love to see some pics.

I'm not all that good at posting pictures here. I do know that both pictures are in the Hottest Wing thread...you just gotta wade through all the pages to find them. Sorry!

Jeanie, Hank is absolutely adorable! :wub:
Posted Image

#10 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Poor you...to never know what it's like to have unquestionable love.

I am violently allergic to most dogs. When they lick me, my skin breaks out in blisters. I rubbed my eyes accidentally after petting my neighbor's beloved long-haired dachshund (forgot to scrub my hands afterward) and my eyes swelled so badly, the skin split open on my eyelids.

So, I guess I am out of luck, too, on the issue of unquestionable love. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose our physical limitations, such as allergies.

I am not allergic to some kitties, so there's that, I guess.

Hank is adorable. I can appreciate dogs, and am glad for those who have such devoted companions. Good for you both! :)

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#11 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

This seems like the appropriate thread to post in. My neighbor has a 4 year old purebred german shepherd that needs a home. The neighbor on the other side of her abandoned the dog when they moved out, the dog has been checked by a vet and is healthy just needs a new place to call home. Let me know if you might be interested.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#12 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hope someone wants a nice dog like that, Dawn... and shame on the people who abandoned him/her. Losers.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users