• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

This is why Commodore was the best signing ever...

Rate this topic

do you think the wings will have him shut down his twitter account? are there any wings with twitter accounts?

I think a Wing's player having a Twitter account is fantastic for team PR since a lot of fans now look at the Wings as being "old" and having a player with Twitter is kind of trendy. I'm feeling pretty positive about having C64 in the lineup this year, even if at the very least, it shines some light into the day-to-day things going on with the Wings. I think if he and the team play it right, there's a lot of potential.

Oh, and I don't think there are any Wings with Twitter but there are some a couple prospects:

- Brendan Smith (@bssmith7)

- Tomas Jurco (@Jurky13)

Edited by Esquire

Let me preface this by saying I am married to a long time computer geek/techno wizard. So I've had to learn a little about computers over the years (although it seems to have gone in one ear and out the other just as fast).

The Commodore 64 computers are still in use by a lot of amateur radio operators. Don't ask me why, but they like them. In fact, I think my other half has one up in the loft of our barn that someone was going to throw out. I don't why he saved it, but he did.

Far from being obsolete, they serve a purpose in a small but important niche. Perhaps that is the best way to look at it.

My commodore had a cassette drive, not a floppy.

My older sister once wrote code for days so that a hot air balloon would fly across the screen.

I recorded my voice over the code like a day or two later.

She was PISSED!

Yep they were like Atari Cartridges.

Oh, and I would be pissed too.

Let me preface this by saying I am married to a long time computer geek/techno wizard. So I've had to learn a little about computers over the years (although it seems to have gone in one ear and out the other just as fast).

The Commodore 64 computers are still in use by a lot of amateur radio operators. Don't ask me why, but they like them. In fact, I think my other half has one up in the loft of our barn that someone was going to throw out. I don't why he saved it, but he did.

Far from being obsolete, they serve a purpose in a small but important niche. Perhaps that is the best way to look at it.

Sort of like Homer! :ph34r:

Go stand in front of the net!

Hell, NASA still uses TRS-80 computers for some mission-specific calculations- they work, no need to change them. A friend of mine on another forum has been tasked with finding parts for them when he was stationed at Canaveral- said it was nearly impossible.

I think my friend still has a Commodore 64-I'm going to bring it to the game when the Wings come to MTL and throw it onto the ice if Commodore scores.

Haha. Quote of the day. If I had a drink when I read it, it would have been all over my screen. GJ! :D

He pretty much has to use it now, Puck Daddy readers have pledged $3500 to Commodore's charity of choice. Kind of hard to say "screw the charity, I much prefer this other number." It is, after all, just a number.

He pretty much has to use it now, Puck Daddy readers have pledged $3500 to Commodore's charity of choice. Kind of hard to say "screw the charity, I much prefer this other number." It is, after all, just a number.

If I as Commodore, I'd set up a paypal account and pick a dollar amount and say "if it reaches that amount, then I'll wear 64, so make it happen." (then pick it anyway regardless of the amount raised, cause as you said, its charity.) That way you get actual money, not just theoretical "pledges". And it gives people an incentive to donate to try to reach the mark.

I don't like the "pledge" idea for a simple reason. Its meaningless. A lot of those people are not going to come through on their pledge. People say a lot of s***. Action is the only thing that matters. Donate to the paypal account, then its a done deal. No "pledge" to possibly donate some money.

I think Mike really wants to wear the number, i think its more a matter of if they'll let him wear it. If there is a lot of money going to charity, maybe Holland, Babs and company would be more open to the idea.

Edited by sleepwalker

I don't personally care either way but do the Wings care? I could see someone in the office saying, "It's a joke on a work uniform and that's not the way we do business" or something like that. Although I suppose it wouldn't be the first joke on a hockey uniform. Wasn't Mario Lemieux's 66 an upside down Gretzky?

I don't personally care either way but do the Wings care? I could see someone in the office saying, "It's a joke on a work uniform and that's not the way we do business" or something like that. Although I suppose it wouldn't be the first joke on a hockey uniform. Wasn't Mario Lemieux's 66 an upside down Gretzky?

I don't know if Paul Boyer has any say so but according to him per the DRW facebook if Mike wants the #64 he can. http://www.facebook.com/DETROITREDWINGS

I have a feeling Commodore would've worn this number before if he really wanted to.

My prediction: he chooses a different number he's comfortable with but ends up paying whatever amount is pledged to the charity of his choice out of his own pocket so he doesn't look like a jerk(store).

Note to Commodore: #22 will brand you with the Lebda Curse.

This is the guy with Bozo hair and they're worried about people thinking he's s clown? Come on. Here's what you do, Mike:

1) Pick a charity (children's hospitals are the best- everyone loves to help kids)

2) Announce that if $64,000 in donations come in by the day before TC that you will wear #64.

3) Get Boyer to make you up that jersey.

4) Keep an eye on the donations. If it doesn't get there, go the "Aw, shucks, I wanted to wear that number. Here's the rest of the money" route. (Get help if it's a lot and you don't want to pay it all.)

5) Wear the number.

You have raised money for a nice charity, endeared yourself to Detroit, and given the beat reporters and out-of-town media looking for a story something to talk about besides how old our players are, how we buy our Cups, and how we're a bunch of soft Euros.

If they are looking for a hockey story, we have Hank, Pav, and Lids to fill in the "actual story about actual hockey talent" market.

MalikReport: Note To Commodore: Don't Do It http://dlvr.it/ZZfSw

I wish they'd get off their high-horse and let the fans and player have some fun with this. Some people are a little too serious.

That article totally misses the point. Entertainment is an integral part of sports. That's why there's music during the game,fireworks, slogans(Hockeytown), etc. Commodore wearing #64 is just plain fun-is that so wrong? This writer seems to think that wearing a Wings sweater is the hockey equivalent of having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.

That article totally misses the point. Entertainment is an integral part of sports. That's why there's music during the game,fireworks, slogans(Hockeytown), etc. Commodore wearing #64 is just plain fun-is that so wrong? This writer seems to think that wearing a Wings sweater is the hockey equivalent of having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.

Exactly. He basically says at one point: "Mike, you're a Red Wing now, and we don't have fun here."

george malik is a clown. his writing is often riddled with spelling and grammar errors and he never has anything interesting to say. i'm glad that ansar khan (KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!!) is there to keep MLive respectable.

george malik is a clown. his writing is often riddled with spelling and grammar errors and he never has anything interesting to say. i'm glad that ansar khan (KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!!) is there to keep MLive respectable.

George didn't write that article, this idiot did.

As far as I can tell from twitter, Geroge wants Mike to wear 64. He even tweeted Mike this afternoon and told him that the Wings said it was okay.