Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

This is why Commodore was the best signing ever...

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

according to a recent tweet, six-four just ordered this t-shirt:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

He pretty much has to use it now, Puck Daddy readers have pledged $3500 to Commodore's charity of choice. Kind of hard to say "screw the charity, I much prefer this other number." It is, after all, just a number.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#63 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Equipment Manager Paul Boyer says that if @commie22 wants to wear 64, it's all his.

-per Red Wings twitter.

Woo hoo!

#64 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

Equipment Manager Paul Boyer says that if @commie22 wants to wear 64, it's all his.

-per Red Wings twitter.

Woo hoo!

This is amazing that this is looking like its going to happen!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#65 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

It would be nice if we could call him C64. It's nice and sounds so much better than "Commy" or "Comode" for short.

#66 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

He pretty much has to use it now, Puck Daddy readers have pledged $3500 to Commodore's charity of choice. Kind of hard to say "screw the charity, I much prefer this other number." It is, after all, just a number.

If I as Commodore, I'd set up a paypal account and pick a dollar amount and say "if it reaches that amount, then I'll wear 64, so make it happen." (then pick it anyway regardless of the amount raised, cause as you said, its charity.) That way you get actual money, not just theoretical "pledges". And it gives people an incentive to donate to try to reach the mark.

I don't like the "pledge" idea for a simple reason. Its meaningless. A lot of those people are not going to come through on their pledge. People say a lot of s***. Action is the only thing that matters. Donate to the paypal account, then its a done deal. No "pledge" to possibly donate some money.

I think Mike really wants to wear the number, i think its more a matter of if they'll let him wear it. If there is a lot of money going to charity, maybe Holland, Babs and company would be more open to the idea.

Edited by sleepwalker, 09 July 2011 - 12:07 PM.

#67 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

I don't personally care either way but do the Wings care? I could see someone in the office saying, "It's a joke on a work uniform and that's not the way we do business" or something like that. Although I suppose it wouldn't be the first joke on a hockey uniform. Wasn't Mario Lemieux's 66 an upside down Gretzky?

#68 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

I don't personally care either way but do the Wings care? I could see someone in the office saying, "It's a joke on a work uniform and that's not the way we do business" or something like that. Although I suppose it wouldn't be the first joke on a hockey uniform. Wasn't Mario Lemieux's 66 an upside down Gretzky?

I don't know if Paul Boyer has any say so but according to him per the DRW facebook if Mike wants the #64 he can. http://www.facebook....DETROITREDWINGS

#69 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

I have a feeling Commodore would've worn this number before if he really wanted to.

My prediction: he chooses a different number he's comfortable with but ends up paying whatever amount is pledged to the charity of his choice out of his own pocket so he doesn't look like a jerk(store).

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#70 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

MalikReport: Note To Commodore: Don't Do It http://dlvr.it/ZZfSw

I wish they'd get off their high-horse and let the fans and player have some fun with this. Some people are a little too serious.

Edited by rage, 09 July 2011 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

#71 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Note to Commodore: #22 will brand you with the Lebda Curse.

This is the guy with Bozo hair and they're worried about people thinking he's s clown? Come on. Here's what you do, Mike:

1) Pick a charity (children's hospitals are the best- everyone loves to help kids)
2) Announce that if $64,000 in donations come in by the day before TC that you will wear #64.
3) Get Boyer to make you up that jersey.
4) Keep an eye on the donations. If it doesn't get there, go the "Aw, shucks, I wanted to wear that number. Here's the rest of the money" route. (Get help if it's a lot and you don't want to pay it all.)
5) Wear the number.

You have raised money for a nice charity, endeared yourself to Detroit, and given the beat reporters and out-of-town media looking for a story something to talk about besides how old our players are, how we buy our Cups, and how we're a bunch of soft Euros.

If they are looking for a hockey story, we have Hank, Pav, and Lids to fill in the "actual story about actual hockey talent" market.

#72 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

I wish they'd get off their high-horse and let the fans and player have some fun with this. Some people are a little too serious.

I agree. Besides I can't stand Malik.

#73 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

That article totally misses the point. Entertainment is an integral part of sports. That's why there's music during the game,fireworks, slogans(Hockeytown), etc. Commodore wearing #64 is just plain fun-is that so wrong? This writer seems to think that wearing a Wings sweater is the hockey equivalent of having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.

#74 Weezer

Weezer

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

That article totally misses the point. Entertainment is an integral part of sports. That's why there's music during the game,fireworks, slogans(Hockeytown), etc. Commodore wearing #64 is just plain fun-is that so wrong? This writer seems to think that wearing a Wings sweater is the hockey equivalent of having dinner with Queen Elizabeth.

Exactly. He basically says at one point: "Mike, you're a Red Wing now, and we don't have fun here."

#75 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

george malik is a clown. his writing is often riddled with spelling and grammar errors and he never has anything interesting to say. i'm glad that ansar khan (KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!!) is there to keep MLive respectable.
Posted Image

#76 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

george malik is a clown. his writing is often riddled with spelling and grammar errors and he never has anything interesting to say. i'm glad that ansar khan (KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!!) is there to keep MLive respectable.

George didn't write that article, this idiot did.

As far as I can tell from twitter, Geroge wants Mike to wear 64. He even tweeted Mike this afternoon and told him that the Wings said it was okay.

Posted Image

#77 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

George didn't write that article, this idiot did.

As far as I can tell from twitter, Geroge wants Mike to wear 64. He even tweeted Mike this afternoon and told him that the Wings said it was okay.

oops my bad.

i still don't like malik, though.

<_<
Posted Image

#78 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

I liked the Commodore signing from the beginning, but him wearing 64 will make it great! Also, I can see Commodore 64 being a crowd favorite after only a couple big hits.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#79 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

After a big hit, or a goal, I bet the DJ at the Joe will play one of these jingles from old Commodore commercials.

Edit: I actually remember the "I Adore my 64" commercials :blush:

Edited by Barrie, 09 July 2011 - 08:13 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#80 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

I liked the Commodore signing from the beginning, but him wearing 64 will make it great! Also, I can see Commodore 64 being a crowd favorite after only a couple big hits.

After a big hit, or a goal, I bet the DJ at the Joe will play one of these jingles from old Commodore commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_f3uIzEIxo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCeQhfv7dM&feature=related

Edit: I actually remember the "I Adore my 64" commercials :blush:

Oh, well you guess must not really be DETROIT Fans!!

Cause in Detroit we are way too good to have a player wear a kick ass number that coincides with his name (a very rare happening) as illustrated in this P.O.S. ARTICLE!!

Posted Image