• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Best Current Russian Player

Rate this topic

Ovi or Dats? possibly Kovy?

I think that pavel is clearly the best current russian player, and should be up there with soviet greats. yet the argument comes down to dats v. ovy. 2 different styles of play and different sets of skills though. ovi obviously makes more and scores more goals....but dats brings alot to the table 2. if dats had ovis size and muscle i think this would be a no brainer.

The glamorous pick is Ovechkin. Overall though, it's Datsyuk. Didn't Pav win some "Best Russian player" award recently?

yes lol. but it seems very easy to argue that ovi is better. ovi won the award the last 5 yrs in a row!

Edited by number9

Hands down, Pasha. Ovi never shows up against the Wings and I hypothesize it has something to do with Lucky Number 13.

Are you sure it's not #40? Z, not Dats, almost always gets the big defensive assignment.

...AND regardless of Crosby being healthy or injured. Best COMPLETE hockey player. Period. (cue a carmen "Crosby Rules" reply)

There's a definite argument for Zetterberg (my pick), and Iginla is also in there as a high-end complete player.

Edited by eva unit zero

I'm a Russian and for me it is Dats, Malkin (just slightly worse), Kovalchuk and then goes Ovechkin. Perhaps A. Markov is ahead of him.

Bryzgalov is clearly the best Russian player. He even said so.

Anyhow...

Malkin-Kovalchuk-Ovechkin? I think you have those three in reverse order. Ovechkin has been one of the league's elite player's since entering it. Kovalchuk has been among the league's top players for years. Malkin's scoring numbers are slightly better than Kovalchuk's and worse than Ovechkin's, but neither Kovy nor Ovi have had anyone anywhere near Crosby's talent level. Ovechkin has a strong team that has developed around him, but it is built around him and was not in place when he was drafted. Crosby was in Pittsburgh when Malkin arrived. The best Kovalchuk has had was a still-developing Heatley, and a somewhat experienced Hossa. That's two players who could be expected to put up strong performances. Crosby is a yearly Hart and Art Ross contender. Hossa and Heatley are not.

The top ten Russians go in this order:

Pavel Datsyuk

Alex Ovechkin

Ilya Bryzgalov

Ilya Kovalchuk

Evgeni Malkin

Andrei Markov

Alex Semin

Sergei Gonchar

Nik Kulemin

Anton Volchenkov