• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingzman91

Emmerton vs. Conner

Rate this topic

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This year's waiver question.

Both have to be waived to go to Grand Rapids, who makes the team?

I like both players, but I think Conner's speed and experience give him the edge here.

I'd pick Conner and waive Emmerton, what do you guys think?

well tatar should be up before both but that wont happen, as he doesnt have to go through waivers. but Emmerton and connor both do. Emmerton cuz hes still young and the wings have invested alot into him, and dont wanna lose him.

I wanna say Emmerton because he's been in the system for this long.. but I gotta go with Conner, him and Helm on the same line is too much for me too pass up on.

This was my exact thought, and that with Mursak that would be the fastest line in the NHL, not the best hands though, awesome energy.

if im not mistaken, isn't Conner on a two-way deal, and wont have to pass through waivers?

Both have two-way deals, but both still have to clear waivers. Two-way deals do not affect regular waivers.

On-topic: I chose Emmerton, only because there was no 'other' option. I'm still hoping for another regular forward that can challenge for a top-6 or 3rd scoring line role.

if im not mistaken, isn't Conner on a two-way deal, and wont have to pass through waivers?

Capgeek and one other source I read has it as a standard contract, meaning he'd have to go through waivers.

I was afraid I might jump the gun if it is a 2 way as details are changing every day.

If this is a 2 way then there is nothing to worry about, I apoligize.

Edit: Seems he is still vulnerable, so the debate is on!

Edited by Wingzman91

I'd vote other as well - not too stressed to lose either of them to waivers and hope there is a trade in the works.

I prefer both in Grand Rapids.

Is it likely that someone will claim Emmerton off of waivers?

I put him on a similar level to Ritola - smaller, some skill with some good wheels and energy. Decent chance he gets claimed.

I wanna say Emmerton because he's been in the system for this long.. but I gotta go with Conner, him and Helm on the same line is too much for me too pass up on.

Same here. I don't know much about Conner, but if he's as speedy as everybody says, that would be fun to see!

Would also like to say that if the Isles claim either off waivers, you will be able to hear me scream all the way over on Long Island.

Emmerton is quick and has good skill, so would fit well as a substitute when Franzen/Holmstrom/Bert miss games, or on one of the top three lines if he makes the top-twelve. Conner doesn't have the hands or hockey sense to play an offensive role, but he is a hard worker and a good grinder despite his size; and he's fast. Conner in the lineup for Abdelkader would make for a Mursak/Helm/Conner line, allowing the Wings to utilize Eaves' shot on a scoring line.

Potential lineups with each player:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Filppula/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Helm/Eaves

Mursak/Emmerton/Holmstrom

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Bertuzzi/Filppula/Eaves

Mursak/Helm/Conner

Both of those are solid lineups, but I think I prefer to run with this regular lineup:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

It's certainly easy to plug Emmerton into Abdelkader's spot in that lineup as the third line center, also.

Emmerton is quick and has good skill, so would fit well as a substitute when Franzen/Holmstrom/Bert miss games, or on one of the top three lines if he makes the top-twelve. Conner doesn't have the hands or hockey sense to play an offensive role, but he is a hard worker and a good grinder despite his size; and he's fast. Conner in the lineup for Abdelkader would make for a Mursak/Helm/Conner line, allowing the Wings to utilize Eaves' shot on a scoring line.

Potential lineups with each player:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Filppula/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Helm/Eaves

Mursak/Emmerton/Holmstrom

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Bertuzzi/Filppula/Eaves

Mursak/Helm/Conner

Both of those are solid lineups, but I think I prefer to run with this regular lineup:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

It's certainly easy to plug Emmerton into Abdelkader's spot in that lineup as the third line center, also.

:thumbup:

Yzerman might.

didnt think Ritola would get claimed

Emmerton would definitely be claimed. Ritola has the size advantage, but Emmerton has the skill. Ritola's big issue has always been just like Franzen when he first came to Detroit; a big bodied forward that never goes to the net. The big difference is that Ritola is a playmaker and has very limited goal-scoring skills. Emmerton has a lot more speed than Ritola, is a better playmaker, and is a better goal scorer. He's fast and he's defensively responsible. If Ritola had made the team last year, he'd be gone this year in favor of Emmerton. The only thing that would prevent a team from claiming him would be his size.

As for Conner, I can't speak to his waiver chances. He's nothing more than a grinder at the NHL level, so it comes down to whether a team needs a grinder like Conner. I would expect him to have a much easier time clearing than Emmerton because of this; most teams have players with similar grinding ability to Conner and so won't really look at grabbing him unless there's a monetary reason or trade reason they need a new guy. Emmerton is a good prospect, potential second-line center, so most teams would think about taking a shot there. Certainly teams that are thin at forward would take him on, hoping the NHL move creates a huge burst of development (a la Howard) and they have another core player.

This year's waiver question.

Both have to be waived to go to Grand Rapids, who makes the team?

I like both players, but I think Conner's speed and experience give him the edge here.

I'd pick Conner and waive Emmerton, what do you guys think?

I will bet everything I have that Emmerton is on the team.

Kinda depends on Mursak's role next season. If they see Mursak more as an offensive forward they should probably go with Conner. If they see him as a checker, go with Emmerton.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Kinda depends on Mursak's role next season. If they Mursak more as an offensive forward they should probably go with Conner. If they see him as a checker, go with Emmerton.

Mursak is an effective checker with speed and work ethic to match Conner's, but better skill. Emmerton is reliable defensively but doesn't fill a checking role. However, he is the most offensively capable of the three, and if the Wings are going with 14 forwards they don't need two reserve checking forwards. I expect Miller and Emmerton to start the year as the reserves, possibly one of them in for Abdelkader.

cory's not ready. idk about connor.

Cory looked ready in his short time up last year. He's not a star, but he's competent and still as a lot of potential and development left in him. Conner better be NHL-ready at his age. He's played a decent number of games for multiple teams, which suggests that he's at least serviceable in a Doug Janik sort of way.

Emmerton is the obvious choice, because he's so much more likely to be claimed on waivers. Because:

1) The Wings don't need to have two reserve checking line forwards for the fourth line.

2) Emmerton provides a "scoring reserve" which would allow a Mursak/Helm/Eaves line to stay intact in the event of injuries.

3) Emmerton knows the Wings' system, and has the skills to play within it proficiently.

Mursak is an effective checker with speed and work ethic to match Conner's, but better skill. Emmerton is reliable defensively but doesn't fill a checking role. However, he is the most offensively capable of the three, and if the Wings are going with 14 forwards they don't need two reserve checking forwards. I expect Miller and Emmerton to start the year as the reserves, possibly one of them in for Abdelkader.

Cory looked ready in his short time up last year. He's not a star, but he's competent and still as a lot of potential and development left in him. Conner better be NHL-ready at his age. He's played a decent number of games for multiple teams, which suggests that he's at least serviceable in a Doug Janik sort of way.

Emmerton is the obvious choice, because he's so much more likely to be claimed on waivers. Because:

1) The Wings don't need to have two reserve checking line forwards for the fourth line.

2) Emmerton provides a "scoring reserve" which would allow a Mursak/Helm/Eaves line to stay intact in the event of injuries.

3) Emmerton knows the Wings' system, and has the skills to play within it proficiently.

Doubt it. Abs will be bounced probably from 3-4th line throughout the season pending on injuries. I think Abs and Helm take a huge step this season more so for Helm but maybe for Abs too. Abs was playing on the 2nd line last season when we had those string of injureies over half way through the season. Babcock likes Abs work ethic and his playing time shows whether it's on the PK, 3rd or 4th line and or filling in on the second line. Abs just like Helm needs to find some sort of finishing touch on scoring. Or just being more consistent for both of them.

On regards to this thread. Emmerton most likely will be the 14th forward unless Conner really shows up at camp. Our forwards are set in stone and I think Babs knows the lineup already before even the start of camp. Only surprise I think will be if we ending up getting a top 6 forward at the trade deadline.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)